Rev Cam!

Ant-

Just did another quick test video the other evening after work. This time I pointed the camera down the lines (almost! Still a bit askew)

http://vimeo.com/14242647

The only disadvantage with these devices is no playback in the field. I'm going to have to start taking the netbook out with me....

Trying to compress all this fast moving grass into a reasonable up/download is tough - the quality of this video is far below what the camera produces.

Ant

• 1 month later...

Took these (video) shots the other day of the Gift of Wings kite shop wind-sock at Veterans Park in Milwaukee WI. I duct-taped the mini-cam directly on the sail. (On the rear of the sail, at the leading edge,with the cam pointing outward, parallel to the LE). I was flying in 20+ winds with my full-vent SLE w/tomato stakes, on 250' lines.

PS: I still haven't figured out how to remove the (incorrect) date stamps on the mini-cam (My son will hep me out there). In order to give the photos a better perspective, I inverted the entire strip.

I made a rig today which slides into the sleeving of the leading edge... as soon as we get some clear skies and wind... I'll give it a try. If it works I'll post photos of the rig.

Great fun for such a small price. I paid under $16 for the complete unit (mini-cam, USB cord, TF card and card adaptor) on eBay.

I used my keychain camera at Liberty State Park in NJ on 9/11/10 and posted my results on that thread. I will cross-post here since it is relevant.

I posted all the best stills from the videos shot by Laura and myself using my Rev KAP setup. They are in my members album at the following direct link:

http://www.revkites....album&album=470

2 images show the mounting I used for the earlier series taken 1-2 PM from the center of my non-vented Rev. For the later series taken 3-4 PM, I removed the aluminum brachet and rubber banded the camera on the clothespin, thus turning the camera base parallel to the plane of the kite. This is a direct application of the thread http://www.revkites....c/4234-rev-cam/ showing these tiny cameras and providing the inspiration for a way to accomplish one of my photographic hopes.

I don't plan on posting the videos because they are around 30 minutes of mostly spinning sky and ground, sure to give viewers motion sickness and I don't have the time to edit the good parts together. In the meantime, the stills provide a unique perspective on a great day of flying. Thanks to Rev Riders Laura and Rich for teaching me some of their moves. It was a blast trying my hands at the cool manuvers that the team flies so smoothly in performances. It was also good to meet Jose, an up and coming flyer who I am sure will soon be taking his place in team flying.

Jynx,

I love your view from 250'. Since I rarely have wind or space to justify it, I will stick with my 120' sets. The (imperfect) solution to removing the date stamp is listed on the http://www.chucklohr.com/808/ website. I have tried the "Timestamp" filter with Virtualdub and it works reasonably well.

• 2 months later...

Got myself a GoPro HD a while back for use in 'another area' and finally had the chance to strap it to a kite yesterday so see whether it would work ...

you tube video

(watch in 720p if possible)

Seems to have potential just need to sort a decent mount system thats not too heavy (used a standard camera mount/clamp/case this time) ..

lines are standard 120's ... have a plan for a proper/lighter mount based on this ... one of the nice thing about the GoPro is you can set it to do various things like take a picture every few seconds, which would probably get the best results ... also I guess you need to learn to fly super steady and level etc when using video to that end the last section was flown inverted and I just flipped the footage 'in post' ... much more stable

So now just need to get some other kites in the air ...

• 1 month later...

I posted some stills from my Christmas at Wildwood, NJ taken with my keyfob cameras in my gallery at:

http://www.revkites....album&album=506

2 of the shots were taken at Antman's inland site with the 2 of us in the icy breeze. The next day, Barb & I were at the beach and I got some views of the Wildwood sign and empty boardwalk. Very different than Memorial Day at the kite festival!