Reverse on a B-Series versus others

genesant

Question

I have three 1.5's. A full sail SLE, a Vented B & a Mid-vent B-series. All three are sparred with race rods. Both B's seem to do reverse circles and reverse upward ladders smoother than the SLE. Why is that? Is it related to the venting or is it due to the panel layout. If it is related to the panel layout then it would seem that any Masterpiece kite such as the Bazzer Eyes would have more problems with reverse also. Those that fly both - could you give me your input?

12 answers to this question

Combination of both. The venting does make a huge impact on reverse flight. However the B-series redesign helps put air in the right spot to help with reverse flight and the B Pro takes things another step further. You could take a full sail SLE, B series, and B Pro all set up the exact same way and would be able to feel the difference between them

And re your question about B v Masterpiece.

The Masterpieces are about looks and individuality rather than precision. And as such potentially do not fly as well (depending on your opinion of well) as the B series kites. But wOw, who is looking at perfect precision when you have a set of Eyes on the end of your lines.

Just in case anyone is reading this who has seen me fly, I do know that precision is not one of my strong points. :kid_devlish:

I agree with JD to a point,

I have all those models, (different eras of cars DO drive differently would be my comparison!) All of the masterpiece kites are about looks first and impact when the sky is filled with other fliers.

The best flying kites right out of the shipping tube are Bazzer's Pro models though, race framed, (mine also carry magic sticks & french bridles). You set-up each model, all things being equal, compare them and you can feel a difference in flight. I always thought these upgrades were pure marketing genius, but Dantonio puts the product into your hands and all of a sudden a light bulb goes on. That kind if feel!,... "Oh crap! I need another one of these darn things too, who's gonna' tell Barbara this time?"

Scott's recommendation on the best reverse machine is appropriate also, Elliott Shook's waffle weave is incredible and that's not officially considered a masterpiece, or is it? Either way I concur, that it is the best revolution model at reverse, so silky smooth & predictable!!! A personal favorite that is flown very seldom around my neck of the woods. My mesh is set-up for Jockey's Ridge-type wind conditions, 4 wrap frame, magic sticks, custom bridle and 150# LPG flying lines. When the porta-potties have been blowing over and the coast guard won't go out, those conditions! This set-up is as smooth as glass and worth every penny. Mine came from one of those AKA auctions a few years back, after having waited almost 2 years for the factory and Elliott to come to some kind of agreement. What a pain to make, look at all that sewing and edging,... but it sure is sweet in the air. A vast improvement over a full vent when the conditions are brutal. Elliot now offers them in different venting conditions (60 or 70% sail I think), that's closer to the mid-vent's ideal wind ranges, as well as 50% model I currently own.

In the photo I'm teasing the gall next to the head of tourism office from Tobago ('08), convinced her I'd land my mesh rev into her hat, then went for that big shoulder. That's confidence in your equipment and loads of entertainment value for the witnesses. Show me a two string guy that can do that!

post-92-127954047984_thumb.jpg

Edited by REVflyer

I was flying my vented Bazzer Eyes at the Dunstable Festival yesterday and had no problems with any of the above moves.

Sorry maybe I did not explain too well.

There is no problem whatsoever with any of the Revs, be they Masterpiece, B, SLE or whatever.

It is just that the way the sail is laid out on the B makes for better precision, IMHO!

Others may have other ideas.

Thanks for the comments folks. My next purchase will be another full sail. My heart wants Bazzer Eyes but most of your comments seem to back my guess that the panel layout of a B-series pro will give me smoother reverse flight. For some reason I like to fly in reverse a lot more nowdays and I'm not quite sure why.

Hey, dont let us put you off getting Bazzer's Eyes, you have Full, Mid and Vented sails so if you want a masterpiece just go for it. I am sure it will fly just great whichever way you want to fly it.

A set Eyes would pretty much complete my bag. (not realy of course, would be sure to need more)

HEY!

Don't let us talk you out of the joys of masterpiece kite!

Why blend in?

I own half a dozen masterpieces and they hold their value exceptionally well, if you ever wanted to trade-in or re-sell it. I swapped a 2 year old Jose Sainz bird Rev for a brand new Bazzer old Glory, by way of merry ole england, (thanks Brian). I made the wife buy a second Old Glory as well, so I'd have more incentive to learn to fly two of 'em at once. They're both SUL full sails, a joy to fly and magnificent to behold in flight.

Your new masterpiece kite will fly as well in reverse as you the pilot can make it. It won't be the kite's fault whatever goes wrong. A great pilot could make a Backtracker look desirable.

I recently talked to Ben about getting a set of Bazzer eyes made for myself, vented, SUL leading edge sleeve, but I also want one of those screaming things from Art St Pierre as an option, It's like hummer but it clips onto the front of the kite inbetween the top two flying line attachment points. Man that thing cried so loudly, . . .... so I'm thinkin' freestyle with "Gypsy Eyes" Hendrix music and all my tie-dye garb. I used to have a blond version of DrJ's (julius Irving) massive afro too, back in '73 for Prom Night, wearing silver platform shoes, it's all coming back. I've matured a lot since then!