Which one next?

darknight

Question

Ok, guys, which one next, haven't had my 1.5 sle long but loving it, and my wife just said, I should buy you another one so you can fly in stronger winds, well, it's rude not to agree with her eh?

So, my thinking is this, I have an sle, thatl do for the moment with lower winds, but do ingot a mid vent or a full vent, and what frame? I see race, 2 wrap etc,

I would guess a full vent with 2wrap, the ultra lights, I'm thinking of a signature series as I want the bright rainbow colours,

Whatch reckon?

8 answers to this question

Ok, guys, which one next, haven't had my 1.5 sle long but loving it, and my wife just said, I should buy you another one so you can fly in stronger winds, well, it's rude not to agree with her eh?

So, my thinking is this, I have an sle, thatl do for the moment with lower winds, but do ingot a mid vent or a full vent, and what frame? I see race, 2 wrap etc,

I would guess a full vent with 2wrap, the ultra lights, I'm thinking of a signature series as I want the bright rainbow colours,

Whatch reckon?

I would recommend the Full Vent. The rods to come with it would depend on what rods you already own. I am assuming that you have SLE rods, and 3 wrap rods. So, I would go with the Race Rods and 4-wrap. By switching between race rods, 3 wrap and 4 wrap, with a full sail and full vent, you can effectively cover every wind condition. I for one do not own a mid-vent, and for the moment I do not feel the need. To me, the mid-vent would come in handy for team flying, to keep things ideal and standardized among the team. In solo flying, this is not an issue.

The first question I have for you is what winds are you typically flying in? If it's getting too much for your standard i'd probably go for a full vent because then you will have both wind extremes covered, and it's easier to fly in a bigger range of wind with a standard and full vent rather than a full and mid.

As for rods what are you currently flying with? Are you still flying with the sle rod? or just mentioning sle because that's they type of kite you have? I'd probably say ideally have a set of race rods and 3 wrap rods. The race usually used in the full sail and 3 wrap in your vent of course you could always switch them up and see what you like best. I wouldn't want to use a full vent with 2 wraps because they are so fragile and you'll be in higher winds with the full vent.

thoughts?

I have the standard 1.5 sle, which came with an extra set of rods, labelled as ultra light, those are what I'm using at the moment, flys better than with the thick ones.

I'm still new to this so excuse me if I get a bit confused,lol.

When I look on the listing page I was looking at a jb signature series, rainbow colour, now that says what frame do I want, race, 2-3 wrap, I thought the 2 wrap were the ultra lights?

So I was now thinking race rods on a full vent? Our wind round here is quite variable, today we had about 12, so the 1.5 with the ultra lights seemed like she was pulling a bit too hard, maybe I should have put the larger sle rods back in, but our winds will be stronger sometimes, ok sometimes not, but I don't want the wind to stop me flying

Yeah, those bigger SLE rods are hardly ever used anymore. They are just so stiff they don't flex much, and over time we have found that the flex in the leading edge really helps the kite perform better which is why we all use the skinnier rods now.

The rods you have which are marked 'ultra light' are actually 3 wraps. The 2 wrap rods are marked 'professional use only' and 4 wrap rods are marked 'revolution equipped.' Race rods actually say race rods.

2 wrap are the lightest and flex most, 4 wraps are heaviest and strongest, 3 wrap is in between. Race rods combine the strength of 3 wrap and lightness of 2 wrap. All of these rods are the same small size, nothing big like that SLE of yours.

you could use race rods in a full vent kite, just pay attention to the kite and if you feel Hmmm....that's probably gonna break, switch out the rods. Now because you already have a set of 3 wrap rods you definitely could order your full vent with race rods then just put your 3 wraps in the vent and race in the full sail, or play around with whatever the wind warrants. race rods and 3 wrap are probably what i use most commonly. I feel race is better than 2 in light winds and don't usually have enough wind to need 4 wraps.

long story short....full vent and race rods should be good for ya.

hope i didn't confuse you too much.

That's a great help, thank you, new kite, or should I say newer kite on the way,

Thanks for the help

After reading JD's post sounds like the Race Rods are a good investment to increase the vented wind range!! Would Race frame improve performance of a Rev 1?? It still has the old 4 wrap that came with it!!

Edited by stroke victim

Well, still being new, but I would say the race rod should improve the rev, as it's flying with a 4 wrap, that's essentially heavier, so the race rods will be lighter and allow for lower wind conditions, but be a strong as a 3wrap.

My problem now is I have to wait 4_ 6 weeks for delivery..

Well, still being new, but I would say the race rod should improve the rev, as it's flying with a 4 wrap, that's essentially heavier, so the race rods will be lighter and allow for lower wind conditions, but be a strong as a 3wrap.

My problem now is I have to wait 4_ 6 weeks for delivery..

Thanks for your advice!:blue_wink: Just confirming what I have seen on the forum in other posts!!:blue-grin: Just looking to increase my 1's range without buying another new kite!! Zen anyone??:) I'm even considering a 1.5 SUL, considering a trade for a 4 wrap LE or race rod frame if I can!!Then I can swap stuff to match winds!!:blue-grin:

Edited by stroke victim