Help

andychapp

Hi,

Please can someone help me out?

I was flying my std b-series rev the other week, and as i went to pack it away a dog decided it wanted to say hello and promply trampled all over my kite. I had a quick look at it and it just looked like the material had just been streched abit and would settle down with a bit of time.

However, today i was taking some photos of my kites ( for insurance purposes as i am emigrating to Australia). i noticed that it not only had streched the sail but it has also put a small hole in it about 3mm.

Now the help i am looking for is.

Can it be fixed?

If so, how?

Can i buy just the sail from somewhere?

If i can buy the sail only where can i buy it from?

I am in the U.K.

You know it really annoys me. i keep my kite under control i wish the ones with unruley dogs kept them under control. My wife saved and saved and got it for me for my birthday and i was so proud of it.

I look forward to some advice.

Thanks

Andy

Hi,

I was flying my std b-series rev the other week, and as i went to pack it away a dog decided it wanted to say hello and promply trampled all over my kite. I had a quick look at it and it just looked like the material had just been streched abit and would settle down with a bit of time.

However, today i was taking some photos of my kites ( for insurance purposes as i am emigrating to Australia). i noticed that it not only had streched the sail but it has also put a small hole in it about 3mm.

Can it be fixed?

If so, how?

I am in the U.K.

You know it really annoys me. i keep my kite under control i wish the ones with unruley dogs kept them under control. My wife saved and saved and got it for me for my birthday and i was so proud of it.

Thanks

Andy

Hi Andy,

A small hole can be repaired with ripstop tape. I just found (the other week) a 1cm rip in my new Zen and applied a patch both sides.

Aesthetically not great, but not a big deal performance wise I suspect!

Felix

Hi,

Can it be fixed?

If so, how?

I am in the U.K.

Thanks

Andy

Bummer about that. I have a dog that loves to chase kites, she doesn't try to damage them, but once in a while a misplaced paw / claw will punch a small hole. Looking forward to the fix. Hopefully it doesn't involve buying a new sail!

Al

image018.jpg

Hi Andy,

A small hole can be repaired with ripstop tape. I just found (the other week) a 1cm rip in my new Zen and applied a patch both sides.

Aesthetically not great, but not a big deal performance wise I suspect!

Felix

Hate to admit I dont know what ripstop tape is, sounds like I need some in my kit!

Hi,

Thanks for the replys. You have saved me a bundle ( but don't tell mrs andychapp that it can be repaired, i might be able to get a pro).

Albroswift,

Here is a quick search i did on ebay U.S.A.

Ripstop tape

Andy

Andy,

You need the very lightest variety which can probably be sourced through a good kite store.

I relied on fellow kite flier...

Thanks Martin

Felix

This is what i have gone for.

Tape

Do you think this will be ok?

Andy

Andy,

I suspect that it will be fine but I have no real practical experience with that specific product.

You said that there was a 3mm hole. I would suggest cutting patches that were 3mm beyond the damaged area and applying both sides of the sail.

I will watch the repair to my Zen and would suggest you do likewise.

One of our team Rev 1 sails was repaired this way at some time ago and it has been holding fine even though the tape used was a bit old.

Felix

Prism kites sells some tape called Tedlar tape. I like this a lot more than the Ripstop tape as the Tedlar is a clear color and won't show up nearly as bad as the ripstop tape does. Even if you match the color completely, the doubled (or tripled) up color shades differently when in the air. The clear tape doesn't give it a darkened color where the patch is.

For the repair, it is really simple to do. Cut yourself two pieces of tape that are about 1/4" larger than the tear and then use a very flat and clean surface. Lay the sail down flat and match up the tear in the sail so that it is edge to edge, do NOT overlap the tear or it will change the panel size in the kite and adversely effect the way the kite performs. Once the tear is matched up perfectly so that the sail is back to the original shape and size, lay one piece of tape on top of the tear and rub it in good and solid. Then flip the kite over and apply the second piece to the back side.

It is a good idea to round all of the edges of the tape before applying it (not squared off). This makes it more difficult for a tip to catch and start peeling off. If the repair is done this way it should last you for years without any problems.

For large tears you can use a larger piece of tape but it is suggested that you run some stitching around the tear to reinforce the tape. This is only for very large tears (usually 6 inches or more). For small tears or punctures, just tape and fly! :)

We do sell sails only, but for the cost of the tape compared to the cost of the replacement sail it is worth just taping the repair. If done right it is nearly invisible to see and works fine.

Hope that helps.

Edited by awindofchange
  • Like 1

Or you do the super glue repair

..I'm fairly sure that the super glue isn't as quite as super as when it first came out and people attached themselves to fridges, etc. But how do you ensure that you end up with a smooth sail surface with a good repair, without leaving your hand as a permanent feature of the kite?

..I'm fairly sure that the super glue isn't as quite as super as when it first came out and people attached themselves to fridges, etc. But how do you ensure that you end up with a smooth sail surface with a good repair, without leaving your hand as a permanent feature of the kite?

Have a look here http://www.gombergkites.com/faq/faq-g.html it will explain all ( hope its ok to post this link ? )

As Gary points out, the super glue method works very well. I've used it on my full-vent B (near as I can tell, it was the victim of a tip stab one day while we were playing around in 30-40mph winds) with great results. And the chances of welding yourself to the kite are pretty slim. The only tricky part is getting the edges of the tear lined up when you're applying the tape.

As for repair tapes, I've used tedlar, ripstop, and tear-aid. Tedlar is probably your best bet on a poly kite like a B or something in the Pro series. Tear-aid is great on large soft kites. Can't remember the last time I used ripstop repair tape.

In a pinch I onced used a piece of rip stop tape to wrap the end of a cracked leading edge spar. Tedlar for the sail is wonderful and easy. Do the round the corners as already said.

My friend and I used to have hooks on our kites - to play with toys we had made - one day his punched two small holes in my sail::kid_cussing:,fixed with rip - stop tape years ago and still holding strong!!:blue_wink:

Edited by stroke victim