Dunstable Kite Festival 2010 (UK)

andelscott

Who's coming?  

7 members have voted

1. 1. Are you planning to attend?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe

post-2092-127685322095_thumb.jpgpost-2092-127685238634_thumb.jpg Time is ticking and the festival will soon be with us.

The Flying Squad is one of the booked display teams - not entirely unsurprisingly but always popular. Last year they acted as the catalyst for a mini megafly at the end of the festival - who knows, there might be an opportunity again this year too? [is that too blatant for a subtle hint?]

post-2092-127685238763_thumb.jpg

Rev pilots new to the forum should know that this is a smaller festival as it runs on one day from 11:00 to 17:00 (Sunday July 18th). Organised on behalf of the National Trust, it is held besides the Chilterns Gateway Centre on Dunstable Downs and provides a great family day out. In previous years, it's been a great day out for the Rev family too! No admission charge, but parking is £1 for the day (free for National Trust members).

post-2092-127685238269_thumb.jpgFor more information, please see the festival website: http://www.dunstablekitefestival.co.uk

post-2092-127685322095_thumb.jpgpost-2092-127685238634_thumb.jpg Time is ticking and the festival will soon be with us.

The Flying Squad is one of the booked display teams - not entirely unsurprisingly but always popular. Last year they acted as the catalyst for a mini megafly at the end of the festival - who knows, there might be an opportunity again this year too? [is that too blatant for a subtle hint?]

post-2092-127685238763_thumb.jpg

Rev pilots new to the forum should know that this is a smaller festival as it runs on one day from 11:00 to 17:00 (Sunday July 18th). Organised on behalf of the National Trust, it is held besides the Chilterns Gateway Centre on Dunstable Downs and provides a great family day out. In previous years, it's been a great day out for the Rev family too! No admission charge, but parking is £1 for the day (free for National Trust members).

post-2092-127685238269_thumb.jpgFor more information, please see the festival website: http://www.dunstablekitefestival.co.uk

Hi Andt, no surprise but I'll be there  :blue-grin:

You forgot to mention the availability of freshly cooked CLANGERS - no those pink  fluffy things from a children's TV series of the same name.

Great coffee & get there early for a Bacon roll  :blue-love:

Lets just ask for a sunny day this year !!

<snip>

Lets just ask for a sunny day this year !!

Ah yes. Was it last year that it was very wet?

Seem to remember Ashley was flying while sheltering in a cabana!

Great view of the passing showers as I recall <grins>

Felix

Ah yes. Was it last year that it was very wet?

Seem to remember Ashley was flying while sheltering in a cabana!

Great view of the passing showers as I recall <grins>

Felix

Yes very wet, I was the one out in the rain at lunch time all alone in the arena... then slowly joined by the rest of The Flying Squad.. who figured out that when fully Gortex'd up you don't get wet. :blue-grin:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Daz, who else came with you today - The guy with the nice blue 1.5, didn't catch his name?

I'll leave the fine detail to Daz (Did you mean Colin ......?)

As if to ensure decent weather, I forgot to bring the camera yesterday - yes, had the fence posts as well as the canopy and kites that didn't even emerge from the car. Did anyone capture the team of 20 on celluloid (or electronic format)?

And thanks to Stephen and Stuart for sacrificing a flying opportunity to act as caller/commentator and ground crew for us respectively. Stuart's help was invaluable, efficiently sorting out the pre-performance crash and burn...

Daz, who else came with you today - The guy with the nice blue 1.5, didn't catch his name?

Thanks for flying in the Mega team.

Simon

That is my mate Colin,we fly together at Holland Haven near Clacton.As for the mega team,it was fun,considering it was the first time for me.

As if to ensure decent weather, I forgot to bring the camera yesterday - yes, had the fence posts as well as the canopy and kites that didn't even emerge from the car. Did anyone capture the team of 20 on celluloid (or electronic format)?

I was mooching around behind the practice and got a couple of snaps and some short video which I'll sort out later tonight. I also had a tiny video camera on my rev which has resulted in some interesting if nauseating footage! kid_drool.gif I was trying to film the FS practice from up there, but sadly the complex attachment device (rubber band) meant the alignment was not where I though it was and I got lots of cars instead kid_frustrated.gif (Myself & g/f were flying 2 B's at the top end around midday...)

Ant

(Myself & g/f were flying 2 B's at the top end around midday...)

Awww - you should have joined us!

The "fence" was unofficial and only there to make sure passing cars, bicycles, pushchairs etc. didn't drive through the lines. They see the kites, but only the experienced kite festival visitors realise there's anything attached to them! :kid_brooding:

Thanks for flying in the Mega team.

Hello Simon, hand's up that was me ( Colin ) unless I did something wrong in which case it isn't, a day of 1st's for me, 1st time at Dunstable, 1st time in the arena and 1st 20 kite mega fly, thankyou for keeping everyone calm and for sorting out the mess during the practice when the power kite wanted to join in !! congratulation's to all I had a great day smile.gif

Hey Ant ... Sorry you didn't come and join in ..more the merrier and all that ... Good pics as always .. Makes it look sunnier then I remember which probably explains the sunburnt head I woke up with this morning!

Yeah, sorry... we're not very social blue_wink.gif We left about 3:30 and it was definitely brightening up by then...

Ant

Here's the videos as promised...

Ant

[meh - can you not embed videos here? ]

I quite see the challenges of video from a kite! Nice footage all the same

Now, i would really love to get a camera on a kite during a team routine and then blend it in with footage from a more traditional view point.

Stephen

Now, i would really love to get a camera on a kite during a team routine and then blend it in with footage from a more traditional view point.

Stephen

It's definitely do-able - these things are literally the size of a key fob. I'm just knocking up an attachment bracket that will hopefully give a more steady picture. You could have one looking from the leading edge (as above) and one looking back down the lines to cover all your bases... so to speak.

Ant

Stephen

I remember, <groans> or <grins>, wanting to mount a video camera on a kite many years ago. One attempt was made on Blackheath on a fairly light wind day. This was a long time ago and the kite was a dual line Force 10. The kite was quite a hand full. It is still in the loft.

The last time I flew it at a formal kiting event was in Berlin. A German flier also had one so we did some following. Later, I flew it in the 'night fly' with a c1sec interval flashing light. Very silly but nobody was hurt...

I agree that aerial shots of team flying would be great. 100 kites? <grins>

Felix