"B" series vs. "B" series pro

bartman

Question

I believed back when I ordered my pro series, and still believe now, that a beginner or flyer with just average skills would not see a lot of difference between the two. Flying my pro last year did not feel any different to me than flying my regular "B" kites. I was not afforded a sudden increase in skill by switching to a Pro and that was okay since it would be a kite to grow into for me and even the best tools in the world cannot make a bad carpenter good. In short, I wasn't expecting a pro kite to make me any better at flying.

Now, almost a year later and and more hours of flying under my belt (the last six weeks of endless snow, rain and hurricane winds not withstanding) I find my kite of choice is the pro.

I can't make a perfect apples to apples comparison because my pro is a mid vent and the B-Series are a std sail and a full vent but, damn, everything works a lot better with the pro now that I have gained more skills. My spins are more stationary and centred, my inverted hovers more level, inverted slides cleaner, reversing has better controlled (and I'll take any control I can get in reverse as it is a struggle), in general far less wobble than I manage with the other two even using the full vent which has slipped to second choice.

If there is any way to fly the pro even a bit out of it's recommended range, that is the kite I want to fly.

I'm happy that I've started to feel the differences and notice the differences. It tells me that even though I am not getting hundreds of hours of practice a year I am still making some progress and moving forwards. It also has helped me to justify the extra money I spent on a pro over getting a regular mid-vent "B".

Upwards and onwards!

Bart

Edited by bartman

The B-Series Pro standard (sail built as an SUL) is the finest product REV has ever had their name on, at least in my limited experience.

It is worth the price, worth the waiting time after ordering and the practice hours (if you haven't got 'em already) necessary to appreciate Bazzer's superior craftsmanship!

A couple of sets of frames, line set lengths and this kite = any inland flier having a decade's worth of fun in hand, all for a few hundred bucks.

Do you need this "ride"?, heck no! Will you enjoy it? ABSOLUTELY

The difference between the B-Series & the Pro?

It is the difference between a manufacturing line's steel knife and a hand-forged masterpiece Damascus steel blade. Both cut just fine, but one makes itself a part of your Chi!

I believed back when I ordered my pro series, and still believe now, that a beginner or flyer with just average skills would not see a lot of difference between the two.

<snip>

Bart

There was a story about a car mechanic who took out a customers Ferrari for a test drive recently in London UK. He wrecked it!

Happily the differences in performance in Rev Kites are not that extreme.

However, I would agree that, in effect, only an experienced flier would be able to take full advantage of the incremental differences in design. Even then, they may be able to fly incorrectly configured kites without readily being able to identify precise issues.

Bart, I am sure that there will be an opportunity for you and others to try the JMH full vented variant at WSIKF.

Felix

Bart, you are SO on the money with this post!!!

I was out with my Pro Midvent over the weekend and it just handles soooo much better than any of my other Revs for the very reasons you've already pointed out. I could feel even more of a difference when I had to switch to a full sail (which is not pro). My pro is so quiet in the air. When I had it in the Wildwood winds it was as smooooth as silk.

You are right in that it is ultimately one's piloting skills that makes the difference, but when you have the right tools, it also makes one's flying experience all the better!

i too have found the pro to be a very nice kite.. i still like fly my b series as well.. is their a differnce? yes ..the pro is a better kite espically for team flying.. i also found a little more tougher then the regular revs..i fly my pros alot and enjoy them very much.. bazzer does nice work .. keep it up buddy!!!!

Hello all,

Since in France it is very difficult to find a Barresi PRO model (and of course when you find it you find also these asked 490 euros - 688 dollars ! - a bit too much expensive)

it could be very good to have somewhere a clear explanation of what is different between the both Barresi series, PRO and Regular.

Do you know where I could find that ?

Thanks a lot helping a poor Revolution EXP user (ie: a 4 lines beginner) to understand a bit all these Rev models and to chose the one which will be bought !

Best Regards,

Guy

I know it's been a while since this thread was posted but my two cents:

My B Series is so much smoother than my Rev 1s. The B Series feels much more precise than my Rev 1. I can imagine that the Pro is even better! Kudos to Rev for being able to improve on an already great kite!

I know it's been a while since this thread was posted but my two cents:

My B Series is so much smoother than my Rev 1s. The B Series feels much more precise than my Rev 1. I can imagine that the Pro is even better! Kudos to Rev for being able to improve on an already great kite!

I wouldn't say more precise, I'd say more nimble!! The 1.5 is more tolerant of input from the flier, the Rev1 is a little touchy given the same commands!! The Rev 1 is more stately, flies slower, but has all the precision you could ask for from a kite!!! The 1.5 is snappy, quick, and responsive!! I have both, a Rev1 and 2 - 1.5's, a SUL and FV, very different animals!!! Recently used my Rev1 and found myself doing the dreaded "overcontrol" with the kite!! Showed me a different side of things, more relaxed, just a different style of flying altogether!!! Things that I got away with on the 1.5s didn't work on the Rev1!! Every piece of equipment has it's own unique style, we have to adapt to their strengths and weaknesses!!! All IMHO!!!

+1 on the Rev 1.

I find it`s a different kind of "precision" if one is to compare a 1 and a 1.5B....they both can be very precise.....however the size, pull, and relative speed/or lack thereof of the 2 kites makes a whole lot of difference. Wind speed is the determining factor.

In real light wind I generally find a Sedgwick 1 w/2wraps to be more precise and nimble in that I can use it`s size and weight difference to it`s advantage (plus the springyness of the frame) when compared to a 1.5B w/2wraps or a 1.5 sul w/2wraps. As the wind picks up the nimbleness goes to the 1.5`s camp but not necessarily the precision. There does come a time where the 1.5B will be more precise than a 1 but when that wind speed is achieved a 1 is no longer fun to fly and goes into the bag.

However I definitely do find (in any sail/frame combo) my 1.5B`s more precise than my 1.5`s (except a 1.5sul in certain conditions).

I do find the 1.5B`s to be the smoothest kite(s) to fly....but I`m sure that will change when I get a Zen....huh just came full circle.......

bt

i hopeunsure.gif , i knowbiggrin.gif you , are right about REV PRO's ,

i have invested my birthday money ( from wife and daughters , money i'll probably never see ) and my ASDA (walmart) bonus ( we had a good trading year, until it came to paying a bonus )

any way, invested in a REV PRO a standard, to be built as a SUL, like Pete i've got to wait, but i'm sure/know it will be worth it, as my Bazzer made ZEN is a beautiful kite both to fly and admire

fungus smile.gif

i hopeunsure.gif , i knowbiggrin.gif you , are right about REV PRO's ,

i have invested my birthday money ( from wife and daughters , money i'll probably never see ) and my ASDA (walmart) bonus ( we had a good trading year, until it came to paying a bonus )

any way, invested in a REV PRO a standard, to be built as a SUL, like Pete i've got to wait, but i'm sure/know it will be worth it, as my Bazzer made ZEN is a beautiful kite both to fly and admire

fungus smile.gif

Worth every penny mate.

It's not a B-"Series dualie", Kymera is a different animal, different company (Into The Wind), but from the same dude. :)

Heard he' a punk, but his kites are alright. <grin>

Hello Punky dude,

This let me say to you again congratulations for these wonderful and successful kite designing jobs !

And about the punk attitude : at least you have the good wife to let us forget your own hair :P

Best Regards,

Guy

It's not a B-"Series dualie", Kymera is a different animal, different company (Into The Wind), but from the same dude. :)

Heard he' a punk, but his kites are alright. <grin>

JB,

Are you bringing a Kymera to the Rev Clinic this month for try-its? Yeah, that might unfocus us a little bit, but to quote the infamous Gomer Pyle "GOLLY!". Pretty kite, and some of us still commute from the dark side to the "other side" on occasion.

Thank you very much for your answer(s) and your time(s) !

Sure REVflyer I understand what you say, and sure also I have not yet (nor I'll never get it I guess regarding my age to begin flying) the level needed to feel the difference.

Best Regards,

Guy

JB,

Are you bringing a Kymera to the Rev Clinic this month for try-its? Yeah, that might unfocus us a little bit, but to quote the infamous Gomer Pyle "GOLLY!". Pretty kite, and some of us still commute from the dark side to the "other side" on occasion.

Aye, won't be my primary focus this weekend, but it will see some solid air time and passing around. :)

Guy, you can feel it when you start to tune or modify towards your own personal preferences, regardless of others' input.

You like it, so you use it YOUR own way!

I'm no master class flier by skill, but I enjoy these kites probably a lot more often than most people do. Since I have lots of hours invested not much phases me, I can fly in crap wind, bad weather & demanding locations. Others can make it look better & easier but nobody can fly when I can not, so I'll also join 'em given the opportunity!

Go hang with the great Rev pilots in your country, drive a few hours each way and get a coach to take you under their wing, show you the tricks and let you try out their equipment. There are no big secrets, we all share what we have learned (or purchased) if you look like you're interested enough to come over and say hello. This single action may cost you some funds for fuel, meals or housing but it will cut years off of your learning curve and save you thousands of euros in the long run.

Age is not a concern, I get beat-up in competitions by both the grandmothers and the smallest children, it's all good.

Now that I've spent a good deal of time with my standard sail B-Pro, I can compare it to my standard sail B. Here's my 2 cents.

The leading edge (LE) and trailing edge (TE) work on the Pro is FAR superior compared to the standard B. I especially believe the LE on the Pro helps to give it the edge in performance over the B. The material is reinforced at every edge, by being folded (rolled?) over and sewn. It also just feels like different material than the regular B, but that could be because its still new-ish. I think this would make the Pro weigh slightly more than a B, but as REVflyer says, its about WHERE the added mass goes on the kite! The added mass on the Pro leading edge makes it considerably easier to throw (Race frame, 50 ft. line - no problem!), IMHO. From now on, I want ALL my Revs with the handmade, reinforced LE!!

The Pro does reverse flight better, tracking straighter and smoother than a B. I believe this is due to the TE being reinforced with an extra line of stitching that runs the length of it. While I'm at it, ALL the stitching on a Pro is better, with a considerably tighter stitching pattern than used on a B.

Lateral flight is much improved over a standard B. I think this is a culmination of all the things that are better about a Pro; the TE, LE, and general craftsmanship all coming together to improve flight. Upright lateral slides are way less twitchy than when performed with a standard B.

I must say, when it comes to the B-Pro, I've never flown a finer kite blue_inlove.gif The Zen is now a close second, and only because of its limited wind-range.

B-PRO 4 LIFE

The material is reinforced at every edge, by being folded (rolled?) over and sewn. It also just feels like different material than the regular B, but that could be because its still new-ish. I think this would make the Pro weigh slightly more than a B, but as REVflyer says, its about WHERE the added mass goes on the kite!

Having recently had the opportunity to spend a little time on a Pro (both standard and vented) I must concur with that. The material certainly does feel heavier and stronger than the factory B series, but when I weighed them the difference in grams falls into negligable variance. In the air it felt somewhat heavier at first, which concerned me me ... but I haven't really had an issue with it. While I lack the skill and experience to fully explore this, I think my factory B fly into a slightly lower wind range than the Pros I have handled, but the Pro goes higher than the B series.

I'm not sure if there is any difference in tightness on the leading edge bungees or how that would effect things, but thats just how it feels to me. I can fly the Pro in low wind without problems, but it feels to me like I have to give up stationary type moves for maintaining momentum and lift sooner on the Pro than I do with the B. I'm not complaining about this at all, just a difference that I'm feeling .... I can fly either which way.

I'm so glad I found my original post here after spending a month with a Pro..

Originally, aside from feeling a difference in weight (perhaps balance of weight may be more accurate) and materials I mentioned above ... I couldn't really identify much of a difference between the two in terms of handling. Now that I have put some flight time in on the Pro, I can feel it when I go back to the B .... and I must say I try to avoid flying the B now that I'm used to the pro :blushing:

I think the Pro is a kite that most will not feel the difference with, even when flying back to back with the B, unless they have a lot of experience and a very educated hand. I am currently of the opinion you will only feel the difference after spending time on the Pro and then going back to the B series. Until you've done that, you probably won't understand or justify why there is a price difference between the two.

The standard B is by NO means a bad kite, and if you never handled a Pro or only tried it once you would probably never be unhappy with your B series at all. It's only once you've spent some flight hours on the Pro that you will long for that Pro to be in your bag instead of the B.

In terms of what I've notices in flight so far, the Pro feels tighter, smoother and hangs in a lot longer in reverse before it's unhappy about how far you're pushing it. I also had opportunity to do basic pairs with a new guy with both my B and my Pro (he has a B) on the same day and I could clearly see a difference in flight. Because he doesn't have speed control, follows were all flat out with him in the lead - leaving me to react to any bad inputs he made. The B series pair flew almost identically, but when I switched to the Pro I could see a difference in speed, rotation, etc which I had to start accounting for to match with him.

Do you NEED a Pro series to fly revs .... no

Is the Pro better than the B .... yes

Is the increased cost justified .... yes

Is the increased cost worth it .... only you can answer that, and it requires handle time with the Pro

If it counts for anything, I've ordered my own custom set of Pro series after putting in the flight time to learn the difference

• Like 2