The Rev UFO

cordover

I recently bought a new air toy from revolution called the UFO. I originally got it for indoors or windless days. It's a taut disk on a short line with a wand you use to toss it out. Very floaty and fun. JB sent me link to an indoor demo to it being used this way at the 2007 Great Lakes Kite Festival. smile.gif

I've also been flying it as a single line kite. See the attached pic. I tie in the line 1/3 the way down from the top, hang a light tail (I prefer a drogue) and it flies like a champ.

Has anyone flown one of these as a quad? I tried and ran into some technical difficulties. I've seen a vid of one indoors, but not out in the field. Any advice? Lee Sedgewick (designer of the kite) has developed special handles for flying it quad, but I wonder if I really need to build a set to try it. It is symmetrical, of course, and I have it on good advice that it may be less precise than a quad with a leading edge, but I think it would be fun. Lee claims to have flown it as a THREE LINE kite. huh.gif Whew. One thing at a time.

Anyway, is anybody else out there trying this. It is a maximum fun device. Good on you, Rev (and thanks Kent of Wind of Change).

post-2871-127615816011_thumb.jpg

I have couple of them, one of 'em is vented (with a "magic stick/training wheels" type of device on top and bottom) and one extremely oversize full sail, (from the AKA festival where it was 1st introduced- the original UFO!)

They're fun to fly, but you need those funky handles by Lee also! Usually when the lines wrap, (for example rotational moves in position) you'd press the other/opposite thumb to undo,.. with the UFO you rotate the handles together in a single hand instead to take out the twists. Lee's handles also collapse, thru the use of flexible material that connects two straight pieces, which are where the flying lines attach. There's no bridle on the quad-lined set-up either, you attach to the graphite ring directly (larkshead style). They're kind of a pain to set-up so most folks transport it ready to fly right out of the container (I use one of those artist portfolios, but it is huge (and has to lay on top of everything else when packing!)

You need to see Lee fly it live, then you'll really want one.

I have couple of them, one of 'em is vented (with a "magic stick/training wheels" type of device on top and bottom) and one extremely oversize full sail, (from the AKA festival where it was 1st introduced- the original UFO!)

They're fun to fly, but you need those funky handles by Lee also! Usually when the lines wrap, (for example rotational moves in position) you'd press the other/opposite thumb to undo,.. with the UFO you rotate the handles together in a single hand instead to take out the twists. Lee's handles also collapse, thru the use of flexible material that connects two straight pieces, which are where the flying lines attach. There's no bridle on the quad-lined set-up either, you attach to the graphite ring directly (larkshead style). They're kind of a pain to set-up so most folks transport it ready to fly right out of the container (I use one of those artist portfolios, but it is huge (and has to lay on top of everything else when packing!)

You need to see Lee fly it live, then you'll really want one.

Thanks, Guru,

Has the vented version just got holes cut in it? How many, how big and where? I've never seen one for sale like that so I presume you put the holes there or it was a custom job, eh? Is it easier to fly quad with the vents? I actually had a chance to talk to Lee, who mentioned the same thing, about venting the UFO. I've got a hot knife and might just buy one to vent myself. My current problem is that it flexes so much in a moderate wind that it becomes erratic, though it may just be my inexperience. :blue_blush: Will the UFO not fly well with twists in the line? I don't understand why one couldn't just rotate it in the opposite direction to get the twists out, like you would with a rev. What size lines do you fly it on? I'd love to see some pics of the over-size kite. How big? Hope I'm not pummeling you with questions. A person with hands on experience with these is hard to find (unfortunately). Personally, I'm stoked about it. :cat_goofy:

the vents came from Lee

(he occasionally donates one of his special efforts to kiting auctions ~ the funds generated support the event he's attending). They're about four inches in diameter but I didn't measure 'em, just SWAGging it!

The UFO won't fly at all with a couple of wraps, it's not the stickness of the lines binding, rather its the fact that as the lines wrap they collapse towards the kite, effectively eliminating all control actions. The simpler solution is to just undue the wraps by rotating the handles in one hand. This is done fast and unconsciously by the experienced pilot!

The kite will not flex as much with the vents and training wheels affixed to provide more structural support to the ring of carbon tubes.

The line lengths are predetermined by Lee.

You really need to check with the "Legend" himself and not rely on anyone else's advice about this kite design.

Lee flies these things indoors and also outside regardless of the conditions, . . . it's not the wind, it is the pilot!

The oversize one is constructed using four sticks in circumference, while the current vented models use only 3 (25% less surface area)

Thanks again, Guru,

I think I've got the basics. I've got a close up of the handles Lee made. I'll try to put some together. I can't imagine what magic sticks would look like on this kind of kite. I've go some for my B pro and for the Zen (great addition) but they stand out from the vertical tubes. What do they attach to on the UFO? I've called Lee once and he was remarkably friendly and accessible. I rather think of him as a giant in the field, but apparently he thinks of himself as a guy who likes to fly kites. Refreshing. If I can get some pics of the kite it it's full quad regalia I'll post them. If you have one, please put it up.

post-2871-12766043436_thumb.jpg

the sticks are the same shape as the UFO, . . . they're curved dramatically!

They cross the sail from each of four directions/opposite corners and meet in the middle, forming a dome of micro-carbon, one above the sail and one below. His latest building efforts had a solid vinyl plug over that center fitting for a neat clean look at the center. Since the flying lines are attached to parameter, the sticks offer nothing to interfere with control, but I assume you can also imagine why folks don't take 'em apart for transportation too!

the sticks are the same shape as the UFO, . . . they're curved dramatically!

They cross the sail from each of four directions/opposite corners and meet in the middle, forming a dome of micro-carbon, one above the sail and one below. His latest building efforts had a solid vinyl plug over that center fitting for a neat clean look at the center. Since the flying lines are attached to parameter, the sticks offer nothing to interfere with control, but I assume you can also imagine why folks don't take 'em apart for transportation too!

Too coo-el! :w00t: So there is a 4 legged dome on each side. It's actually a sphere with a sail strung from it's equator. Or is the dome more shallow than the curve of the kite (an oblate sphere)? The rim on my UFO is about 1/8" solid carbon rod. Are the dome pieces the same size or much smaller? I presume the connections are standard so I might be able to do this myself. I haven't found anyplace that sells it like this. Do you know of one? I should be able to make it and in my one phone conversation with Lee he did not seem at all interested in being the the kite selling business and encouraged me to make my own. I'm not terribly confident of my kite making skills, but having one of these might be worth the experiment.

Yes Lee is a really great guy, so humble for all of his contributions!

The dome is squashed,... (the height is less than a huge wok would be), the fitting could be vinyl tubing while you clarify your design parameters, you want the sticks lighter in weight, so the kite springs off of the surface more readily upon impact. I'd try to call Lee and ask him for specific materials and dimensions, unless you like experimenting with kites.

OK. Thanks for your patience. I have the sense of it. I think I will give Lee a call and get the specifics. If he has any innovations, I post them here, with his permission. One last thing. I imagine the quad version like a moving dot in the air, with perfect mobility in all directions. Sort of like a round computer cursor in the sky. Any point on the circle is the leading edge. Am I close?

Mitch

Thanks again, Guru,

I think I've got the basics. I've got a close up of the handles Lee made. I'll try to put some together. I can't imagine what magic sticks would look like on this kind of kite. I've go some for my B pro and for the Zen (great addition) but they stand out from the vertical tubes. What do they attach to on the UFO? I've called Lee once and he was remarkably friendly and accessible. I rather think of him as a giant in the field, but apparently he thinks of himself as a guy who likes to fly kites. Refreshing. If I can get some pics of the kite it it's full quad regalia I'll post them. If you have one, please put it up.

So...are you finding any water while using those? They look like dowsing rods...gotta give that a try. It will be quite awhile before I get anymore kiting stuff, but maybe ben can send us one as a club demo! :P

--TaK