Bet I'm Not the First.......

Redrocket

"You learn by your mistakes"……..Yep, I'll go with that. I made a biggy the other day…….oh how I laughed!

Just for the record, instead of paying a paltry £3-5 on Ebay for a line winder I decided to spend hours and hours crafting one myself out of some 6mm polycarbonate sheet that we have at work, dunno why, perhaps cause it was there? Anyway, it's big, heavy, smooth and comfy.

Right, I'm in the playing fields and don't have much time as usual, so I'm rushing a bit. I stake the handles then begin to unwind the line, and in my haste drop the winder. Because of its weight it falls quite quickly, and as it falls the rotating momentum unwinds the line……."bloody hell…..that was quick" I thought. So for the next 25m I'm not even holding the winder, I'm just walking along holding the line at waist height while the winder spins and spins releasing its line to the ground. Wow! That was a lot quicker……brilliant.

Next, I got hold of the LH and RH lines and pulled them wide apart like I usually do, fully expecting the lines to separate all the way back to the handles. The line separation reached about 5 metres from me then stopped…..bugger. Oh dear me, not good.

I guess many of you knew that would be the outcome. The spinning winder twisted the line together as well as unwinding it.

Needless to say I spent the next 30-40 minutes sorting the lines out. Then packed up and went home cause I'd run out of time………bummer. Won't be doing that again.

Thought I would share that with you lot and any brand new newbies that might fall into the same impatient trap as me.

Feel free to mock…………..

Chris

Chris,

Hey, thanks for sharing your "opps" moment. It will help someone ... I promise!!!

Plus, you made me laugh!! I'm really OCD about my lines, so knew as soon as you dropped the winder what was going to happen.

At least you salvaged the lines. How did you do that? Since they were only twisted, you should have been able to un-twist them as a single unit ... yes?

Cheers,

Tom

So glad to hear that you can ~laugh~ about that! :clap; We've all had our Oooops! moments to be sure. Now to take a little more time when unwinding, no??? I always tell new folks that the first thing you learn is to be an expert at detangling. It comes with the territory...

Follow Penny Ligenfelter's mantra "It's not as bad as it looks..."