Revolution Team Manual

Flank...??? yeah...why not. BUT.

As far as I understand, in my former Country, Guatemala, Flank was used in the military.

When an officer would tell the troops "Flanco derecho, derecho. " it meant for the troops or a soldier, to turn 90 degrees to the right. The second derecho means "go".

This Flank expression would be the same as Face.??? won't it. :(

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Flank seems an odd word to me for inducing turns, perhaps my old drill sergeant could be handy here, you might not have understood him but he left you in no doubt as to where he intended you to go. Right turn, left turn for right angle turns, right wheel, left wheel for round turns through 90 degrees were amongst all the other commands burnt into the brain.

Stand at ease. :lol: ......Stand easy.

I think we also need to add the term "flank" to the manual. It was new to me this last weekend.

We also need "Clockwise".

And we need to decide amongst us English speaking folks and pick one: "counter-clockwise" or "anti-clockwise."

Last weekend, John was calling "anti" which is a good short word. Maybe we should settle on that?

John also often called "fall in" instead of "follow", but I think we should stick with "follow" for international usage as it is easier to translate.

I think that you just need Clock and anti as in 90 clock pin or 180 anti pin ..allways works for us :rolleyes:

Clock might be confused with clockwork turns, that is, staying in place and snap turning to right , down, left, up.

We may not need "flank", but I think it's a little more clear.

Let's see if have this right:

The call "right" is usually made when all kites are stationary and then turn right while staying in place.

The call "flank right" is usually made when the kites are in motion and all kites turn right and continue flying.

while flying up, the "flank right" call is made:

post-14-1179925368.gif

Clock might be confused with clockwork turns, that is, staying in place and snap turning to right , down, left, up.

We may not need "flank", but I think it's a little more clear.

Let's see if have this right:

The call "right" is usually made when all kites are stationary and then turn right while staying in place.

The call "flank right" is usually made when the kites are in motion and all kites turn right and continue flying.

while flying up, the "flank right" call is made:

post-14-1179925368.gif

I have to think way back to when I had to do my military(Navy) service.

Flank right would have been "right turn hup", if I recall correctly. Hup was a go!

Then there was a "half right hup" which was 45 degree version of a flank right. Might be a nice maneuver for REVs.

Does anyone remember/know these calls more precisely?

Again, "flank" has been a US standard call for many years (probably from the TOTL days)... But "turn" or "corner" makes more sense from a universal standpoint.

Bear in mind, we're not limiting what teams use from day to day... We're just narrowing this down to an international standard everyone can use.

post-14-1179925368.gif

The move you describe are individual pin wheels. ie any figure where the rotatation is around the centre of the kite or formation. Individual 180 radars are turns around the tip of the kite.

I have used this method frequently as you only have to understand what a pinwheel or radar are. Then if someone calls an 90 anti, indi pinwheel and you are already facing up you will know you need to turn to "face" left. The speed of the move can also be called. A fast 90 anti indi pinwheel might be called a left Flank.

Whilst I applaud the efforts of uniformity and fully support the need the most important thing is that, on the day, all the pilots understand what is expected of them. It is always advisable to set some ground rules, even when you are flying with people you regularly fly with. From experience I can promise that this will save a great deal of time :rolleyes:

Hi Kite - mates :rolleyes:

Manual "Guide": Translation into Spanish version:

Flank = Side = Flanco

Face = Leading Edge = Borde de Ataque

Fall in = Descender - Caer

Follow = Seguimiento

Good winds :rolleyes:

You should add also:

Dos cervezas por favor = Dos cervezas por favor ;)

Muchos saludos and cheers

Mario

Hola Mario,

¿Como estas? Tienes razon. Dos cervezas una para ti y otra para mi. A ver si en el futuro nos ponemos de acuerdo para vernos aqui en Buenos Aires o en Mar del Plata o bien tener la posibilidad de que pueda visitarte allá. No se como vamos ha hacer para tomarlas y al mismo tiempo volar nuestras Revos leyendo el manual Mega Fly y poniendonos de acuerdo en que idioma cantar las maniobras. :blink::P:huh::unsure::rolleyes:

Un abrazo