Revolution Team Manual

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi, this is Hans from Team4Fun,

when Team4Fun started back in 2004 our calls were all in german. After our first visit to Berck sur Mer and Oostende/Belgium, which festivals are well known for their quadline megateams we noticed that it was difficult to switch from the german calls to the english calls. From that time Stefan, our team-leader, decided to do all the calls in english, also during the festivals where only Team4Fun flies. We noticed the advantage during the next festivals when flying together with international teams. We didn't have any difficulties with the communications when Philippe from Team FLIC or Stephen from The Flying Squad were the megateam-leaders.

During the Cervia/Italy festival last month we invited some italian pilots to join us. Until then they only flew with italian calls so there were some misunderstandings during some moves

I recommend all the non-english speaking teams to make their calls exclusively in english, even during their national festivals.

Good winds,

:rolleyes: Hi Kites- mates:

About Standad Calls Commands:

Mike please, I think that it could be good include in your manual a Summary "How to Calls Commands for English people".

You know, the same terms for all, also is easy not only for translation of the Spanish Version; also on going to work in the same way for "Spanish terms" by our people. I think that it works by pilosts as technical terms or professional.

Thanks to all and good winds. :rolleyes:

I'm agreeable to that idea...

While it's likely that English will often be the common usage, I don't mind learning a little Spanish just in case if it's presented to me in a good format.

Also, VERY IMPORTANT... Phonetic spellings would be invaluable, so we know the sounds.

I'm agreeable to that idea...

While it's likely that English will often be the common usage, I don't mind learning a little Spanish just in case if it's presented to me in a good format.

Also, VERY IMPORTANT... Phonetic spellings would be invaluable, so we know the sounds.

Si senior!!!

Muchos saludos

Mario

I stopped counting countries long ago. I have been to quite a number. I have never been in the contents South America or Africa.

That is very dependent on who you are dealing with. If it is for business, at a hotel or a restaurant, English is prevalent. When it comes down to the local people which tourist don't deal that often with it varies dramatically.

In Spain most often French will be their second language, probably because they border France. However, that is not totally correct because in addition to speaking Castellion(proper Spanish), they will speak their local language such as Catalan, Basque, Valencian, and etc.

In Southern France, you will find that probably the most popular second language is Spanish.

Italy is a special case and they have their local languages that in some cases are far from the proper Italian. There are areas were German prevails as a second language and in one area where is officially the second language. Their are other areas where French prevails as the second language. Tourism also tends push which second language prevails. However a substantial number of Italians speak English and quite well at that.

I think there should be manuals in at least English, French, Japanese and Spanish with all command names in English.

Internationally recognized terms should be 90, 180, 360, left, right, up, down and face(or leading edge). Maybe some more to come.

Totally in agreement with johnn mitchell, in the Basque country, we spoke aside from Spanish, Basque. The Spanish, is one of the idimos but spoken, of the world, many pilots speak this language, for that reason I believe that he must have a translation.

But I continue saying, that it will use the movements and you order them in English, because is very good for my and my team

By the way, johnn mitchell, I have seen its page, good photos.

Totally in agreement with johnn mitchell, in the Basque country, we spoke aside from Spanish, Basque. The Spanish, is one of the idimos but spoken, of the world, many pilots speak this language, for that reason I believe that he must have a translation.

But I continue saying, that it will use the movements and you order them in English, because is very good for my and my team

By the way, johnn mitchell, I have seen its page, good photos.

As John B and Mike have said, you agree also that;

Left

Right

Up

Down

90 (ninety)

180 (one eighty)

360 (three sixty)

face or leading edge (to be decided)

should be the standards used in all countries. Correct?

Please don't try any calls in Basque with me. I would be totally lost. I am told that Basque has zero relation to Spanish(Castilian). Is that true?

On my web site are pictures I took at Valencia in 2005 and 2006. Which one is you?

As John B and Mike have said, you agree also that;

Left

Right

Up

Down

90 (ninety)

180 (one eighty)

360 (three sixty)

face or leading edge (to be decided)

should be the standards used in all countries. Correct?

Please don't try any calls in Basque with me. I would be totally lost. I am told that Basque has zero relation to Spanish(Castilian). Is that true?

On my web site are pictures I took at Valencia in 2005 and 2006. Which one is you?

In agreement, with you order them.

With your permission I raise to a photo yours of Valencia 2006, but “high " I am, companion of Tonet- Is certain the Basoue do not have anything to do with the Latin, nor with the Spanish, am one of the old languages but of Europe.

In valence 2005, first by the right.

post-308-1179648592_thumb.jpg

post-308-1179649365_thumb.jpg

FYI, I think "leading edge" might be too close to "edges" for a foreigner...

"Edges" or "to the edges" is a very common term, another we might consider for the list of English commands.

Personally I would favor "Face" for it's shortness and clarity. However, my mother language is English, so don't let me influence.

I think this should be put up for polling to those whose mother language is NOT English.

What English term do you think would fit best for "face" meaning "leading edge"?

e.g. Face Right, Face Left, Face Down, Face Up.

Ideas: Face, Leading Edge, Front, Main Edge

In agreement, with you order them.

With your permission I raise to a photo yours of Valencia 2006, but “high " I am, companion of Tonet- Is certain the Basoue do not have anything to do with the Latin, nor with the Spanish, am one of the old languages but of Europe.

In valence 2005, first by the right.

May I presume you are referring to the right competitor in the right picture? and the upper left competitor in the left picture?

I personnaly prefer: "face" as stated by J. Mitchell. Phonetics are very important as mentioned by: J. Barresi, but in my little experience with team flying, I suggest to the pilot leaders to SPEAK OUT LOUD... :lol: man...I am not only going deaf, :angry: but if you speak the commands for yourself, only, then the other pilots will be half way guessing...??? Huu me and my big mouth... Nothing personal Jim F.-....dig. :rolleyes:

(I guess my best position would be next to the pilot leader, that way, I CAN HEEEAR YOUUU...) :D

May I presume you are referring to the right competitor in the right picture? and the upper left competitor in the left picture?

This to use a translator, that I write? I mark to you in the photos that I am.

post-308-1179685780_thumb.jpg

post-308-1179685791_thumb.jpg

I personnaly prefer: "face" as stated by J. Mitchell. Phonetics are very important as mentioned by: J. Barresi, but in my little experience with team flying, I suggest to the pilot leaders to SPEAK OUT LOUD... :lol: man...I am not only going deaf, :angry: but if you speak the commands for yourself, only, then the other pilots will be half way guessing...??? Huu me and my big mouth... Nothing personal Jim F.-....dig. :rolleyes:

(I guess my best position would be next to the pilot leader, that way, I CAN HEEEAR YOUUU...) :D

Actually John B brought forward first the word "face". I had suggested possibly something more known as "leading edge", despite that I would personally prefer "face".

As for leading a team, I would also be to soft spoken for doing that.

To be clear, your sentiment is "leading edge left" for all kites to face left?

My problem with this, it's not a literal instruction... Face left is just that, while leading edge doesn't literally specify that you're merely facing your kite a certain way.

The quick command calls MUST be fairly literal, so that newer and intermediate pilots can participate.

I feel very strongly about this, based on my repeated mega flies over the past year, dealing regularly with first-time and inexperienced team fliers.

I think we also need to add the term "flank" to the manual. It was new to me this last weekend.

We also need "Clockwise".

And we need to decide amongst us English speaking folks and pick one: "counter-clockwise" or "anti-clockwise."

Last weekend, John was calling "anti" which is a good short word. Maybe we should settle on that?

John also often called "fall in" instead of "follow", but I think we should stick with "follow" for international usage as it is easier to translate.

I'd like to add some more figures to the next addition of the manual. Suggestions from some of our Spanish friends?

They can be simple figures, even ones that are easy to explain on the field. The reason I would like to add them to the manual is to give new groups ideas of things to do. It can be hard to come up with stuff when you are calling. Examples might be mountains and valleys.

It might be good to have a page of ideas. Such as forming a pyramid ( 1 by 2 by 3) and flanking around the sky.

I think we also need to add the term "flank" to the manual. It was new to me this last weekend.

Agreed.

Also agreed. ;)

And we need to decide amongst us English speaking folks and pick one: "counter-clockwise" or "anti-clockwise."

Last weekend, John was calling "anti" which is a good short word. Maybe we should settle on that?

Generally, I'll call "clockwise" or "anti"... Good calls for the manual.

John also often called "fall in" instead of "follow", but I think we should stick with "follow" for international usage as it is easier to translate.

Fair enough. "Fall in" is an old USA team term, but follow is indeed literal, and better for international use.

How are you using the word FLANK?

I would go for "anti-clockwise". If I recall right the Brits use it normally and it is probably understood better.

"Fall In" or "Follow"? I do believe "Follow" would be understood quicker. In Europe for example they still have little yellow and black cars(or trucks) with the sign "FOLLOW ME" on the back that they use to guide airplanes around at airports. Most everyone in Europe has flown and has seen them.