Bought a B... then an hour later, a powerblast

stepside

Last October (10/2009), as I was recovering from having gastric bypass, I came across this goofy looking kite on the web. It was called a Revolution and to me it was. I had never seen a kite be controlled in anyway beyond letting out 500 feet of static cotton line and watching a single line Deltas (those really cheap ones with the eyes on them that you can buy at convience stores) float in the sky until the wind died and then spending 10 minutes rolling up the string only to get it so tangled you throw it away. Anyhow...

I can still remember watching the vids on youtube, my favorites was this one with bugs bunny singing the barber of sevile as music at some type of competion and thinking how much fun those guys (and gals) must be having, I told myself that come summer I was going to get one. I came to this website and read it for several days and pondered as to which kite I was going to purchase, however it soon turned to winter in Colorado and the last thing on my mind was kiting. I soon forgot about this so called "revolution" and concentrated on my weight loss.....

FAST FORWARD to Mother's Day 2010 -

Its a beautiful day in Colorado Springs, CO, the best one so far this spring. The day prior, while at the gym I weighted myself and I finally exceeded my goal (220lbs was the goal, I was 216) so I was totally stoked about my sucess. My sister called and asked if I wanted to go to lunch with our mother and whilst there the topic of getting a Kite and going to the park was brought up... At this point I remembered the Revolution and the dreams of the prior year. At this point I declined the park and told my sister I was going to go buy a kite, a real kite. She laughed and said good luck.

I got home and headed back to this site and started reading the forums again.... B this and 1.5 that... Rev 1 and Rev II. It all came flooding back. The DREAM! YES THE DREAM! I looked for a local kite shop and found one semi-close by on the AKA merchant website (Into the Wind) and settled on a B Series Mid Vent, as that is what everyone seemed to recommend, who am I to argue, since I know nothing of kiting beyond what I have read.

It is now monday and as I head off to work in the morning, the only real thing I planned to do all day is to purchase a kite. It seemed a little expensive (come on who spends that much money on a kite) but its the dream and it needs to be fulfilled. As the day comes to a close I soon realize I have been so busy I still have not done the one thing I wanted to do today, purchase a Kite. So as I get ready to head out the door, I quickly head to the website and purchase the Kite... I left work with the biggest grin on my face. Now at this point I have never even seen a Revolution in person, other than the stats on the website that read, wingspan 91", I truely dont know what to expect. I mean in the videos you can sometimes get "relative size" but you never truely know how big or small something is when you just see a picture of it.

Anyhow as the evening progressed and I got ready to head to the gym, I noticed that I had lost one of my workout gloves... so I head to amazon to order a new set. Whilst browsing for gloves I decided to type "Revolution" into the search and can you guess what popped up on my screen... actually it was some movie with Al Pacino, but then I typed "Revolution Kite" and this Power Blast came up as the first entry I clicked on it and the seller was Into the Wind. Before I knew it I had added it to my cart and hit the purchase button. I just told myself, you know... you were gonna buy one someday anyhow. I then headed to the gym.

As I got to the gym I realized that I had forgot to order the gloves, but what did it matter. I have, not 1, but 2 kites on the way.

I am so stoked at the moment. Granted I dont know where I am going to fly them... Bear Creak Park? Memorial Park? Cheyenne Canyon? I'm sure I will find a nice place soon enough.

First off if you read all this... Thanks.

Second I woud like to thank everyone who has posted here about buying your first Rev. You all were very very helpful with your experiences and expertise.

As I type this I am seriously considering buying a speed series kite. I noticed that they had a nice Pink one listed for the supersonics.

Well I guess this is 2 down, 9 to go, the magic number is 11 right?

Brian

Last October (10/2009), as I was recovering from having gastric bypass, I came across this goofy looking kite on the web. It was called a Revolution and to me it was. I had never seen a kite be controlled in anyway beyond letting out 500 feet of static cotton line and watching a single line Deltas (those really cheap ones with the eyes on them that you can buy at convience stores) float in the sky until the wind died and then spending 10 minutes rolling up the string only to get it so tangled you throw it away. Anyhow...

I can still remember watching the vids on youtube, my favorites was this one with bugs bunny singing the barber of sevile as music at some type of competion and thinking how much fun those guys (and gals) must be having, I told myself that come summer I was going to get one. I came to this website and read it for several days and pondered as to which kite I was going to purchase, however it soon turned to winter in Colorado and the last thing on my mind was kiting. I soon forgot about this so called "revolution" and concentrated on my weight loss.....

FAST FORWARD to Mother's Day 2010 -

Its a beautiful day in Colorado Springs, CO, the best one so far this spring. The day prior, while at the gym I weighted myself and I finally exceeded my goal (220lbs was the goal, I was 216) so I was totally stoked about my sucess. My sister called and asked if I wanted to go to lunch with our mother and whilst there the topic of getting a Kite and going to the park was brought up... At this point I remembered the Revolution and the dreams of the prior year. At this point I declined the park and told my sister I was going to go buy a kite, a real kite. She laughed and said good luck.

I got home and headed back to this site and started reading the forums again.... B this and 1.5 that... Rev 1 and Rev II. It all came flooding back. The DREAM! YES THE DREAM! I looked for a local kite shop and found one semi-close by on the AKA merchant website (Into the Wind) and settled on a B Series Mid Vent, as that is what everyone seemed to recommend, who am I to argue, since I know nothing of kiting beyond what I have read.

It is now monday and as I head off to work in the morning, the only real thing I planned to do all day is to purchase a kite. It seemed a little expensive (come on who spends that much money on a kite) but its the dream and it needs to be fulfilled. As the day comes to a close I soon realize I have been so busy I still have not done the one thing I wanted to do today, purchase a Kite. So as I get ready to head out the door, I quickly head to the website and purchase the Kite... I left work with the biggest grin on my face. Now at this point I have never even seen a Revolution in person, other than the stats on the website that read, wingspan 91", I truely dont know what to expect. I mean in the videos you can sometimes get "relative size" but you never truely know how big or small something is when you just see a picture of it.

Anyhow as the evening progressed and I got ready to head to the gym, I noticed that I had lost one of my workout gloves... so I head to amazon to order a new set. Whilst browsing for gloves I decided to type "Revolution" into the search and can you guess what popped up on my screen... actually it was some movie with Al Pacino, but then I typed "Revolution Kite" and this Power Blast came up as the first entry I clicked on it and the seller was Into the Wind. Before I knew it I had added it to my cart and hit the purchase button. I just told myself, you know... you were gonna buy one someday anyhow. I then headed to the gym.

As I got to the gym I realized that I had forgot to order the gloves, but what did it matter. I have, not 1, but 2 kites on the way.

I am so stoked at the moment. Granted I dont know where I am going to fly them... Bear Creak Park? Memorial Park? Cheyenne Canyon? I'm sure I will find a nice place soon enough.

First off if you read all this... Thanks.

Second I woud like to thank everyone who has posted here about buying your first Rev. You all were very very helpful with your experiences and expertise.

As I type this I am seriously considering buying a speed series kite. I noticed that they had a nice Pink one listed for the supersonics.

Well I guess this is 2 down, 9 to go, the magic number is 11 right?

Brian

Brian, Welcome to the dark side and as well congrats on the gastric bybass surgery. some here don't don't know it but I had one done almost ten years ago! A real life saver!

I see you're located in Colorado where there are a number of Rev flyers ther from whom you could learn and absorb a great deal. In order to flatten the learning curve and thereby shorten the sometimes tedious learning process, I suggest you hook up with one of theose fine people to help learn you up on the finer points of Rev flying and line management. Doing so will make the enjoyment factor that much more easily attainable. By all means speak out, seek out and basically ask alot of questions in here. Someone may even offer you milk and cookies!

Eleven huh? I guess thats where the average is upto now? Hmmmm, we'll have to see what we can do about shaking that up a little!!!!!!

Best of luck to you in your new endeavors.....on both accts. If you ever want to chat off line about GB, pm me at quaa714! BOL!

Ah!, the magic of landing a big fish!, . . .

you're well on your way to an entire collection of Revs Brian.

We all started off kind of shaky and the best advise Rich just gave you above. Go find somebody who knows their way around a revolution kite and get coached in the finer points to begin your journey. That time spent together will cut years of frustration away. You'll start off feeling the kite properly tuned and appropriate for the current wind conditions instead of guessing about settings or sensitivity in your fingers.

I'd say learn on the B-Series before you take the power blast out in those same conditions. You will need stronger lines when the wind picks-up, and being in great physical shape won't hurt your Blast activities either!

Welcome to the dark side sir, these kites will soon consume you (just as in any other major addiction, don't say you weren't warned!)

Thanks for the welcome...

Its only been two days since I placed my order with Into the Wind and it was so nice to come back from lunch to find a fairly large package sitting at my desk.

I am very impressed with the quality of the kites. As I sit here putting the power blast together (dont tell my boss) cause I was really interested in how BIG it truly is, a thought just hit me... The lines I purchased are 275/200... would the stronger lines (275) go on the bottom or the top of the kite? Anyhow... I dont plan on flying this behemoth yet, I didnt realize how impressively big this kite was going to be until I put it together. The 120" listed on the website was just a number until about 15 minutes ago.

Hopefully it will warm up tomarrow, we had a little frost come though last night and it is fairly nippy out at the moment. I cant wait to stop by the park and try out the B-Series.

Thanks again for the wecome,

and if there are any Flyers in the Colorado Springs area who would be willing to give me some pointers, please drop me a line.

Brian

PS: Down spars on the back... got it!

Edited by sTEPSIDe

Well its been approx. 2 weeks since I purchased my first 2 kites and have been having so much fun I have decided to purchase 2 more.

The B- Series is nice almost feels like the "cadillac" of kites after I fly the 2-4. It is very smooth and I can already see improvements with my control of it.

I really really like the Power Blast 2-4 so much so that I have decided to get a 4-8. I wish I could say my control was coming along as fast as the B-Series as I just like to put it in is power zone and let it pull me across the park, but I guess that is the point right?

I would also like to get a speed series, but this is where I need some input Shockwave or Supersonic? What is the real difference?

I will be placing my order for these as soon as my membership with the AKA comes though (gotta support the sport)...

This will put me at 4 (possibly 5) kites and the need to get a bag... So last question - will the "Rev Bag" fit all of these kites? I know it says there is "extra room" for a blast, but I will have 2 blasts and before I spend the money I would like to know that I will be able to fit all my toys in one spot.

Thanks for the input

Brian

EDIT: After talking to Kent @ A Wind of Change I think I have decided on a Supersonic and the 4-8. He was VERY helpful in answering all my questions. Thanks again....

Edited by sTEPSIDe

snip ...

This will put me at 4 (possibly 5) kites and the need to get a bag... So last question - will the "Rev Bag" fit all of these kites? I know it says there is "extra room" for a blast, but I will have 2 blasts and before I spend the money I would like to know that I will be able to fit all my toys in one spot.

Thanks for the input

Brian

EDIT: After talking to Kent @ A Wind of Change I think I have decided on a Supersonic and the 4-8. He was VERY helpful in answering all my questions. Thanks again....

There is a picture of the REV roll up bag at http://www.revkites.com/main/Rev_Bag

It handles broken down kites up to around 105 cm (about 40 inches). Anything longer could be rolled outside of the pockets, however would hangout the center of the roll bag.

I am very impressed with the quality of the kites. As I sit here putting the power blast together (dont tell my boss) cause I was really interested in how BIG it truly is, a thought just hit me... The lines I purchased are 275/200... would the stronger lines (275) go on the bottom or the top of the kite? Anyhow... I dont plan on flying this behemoth yet, I didnt realize how impressively big this kite was going to be until I put it together. The 120" listed on the website was just a number until about 15 minutes ago.

PS: Down spars on the back... got it!

The first few times you put the behemoth together, it takes some fanagling with new unstretched bungees and all. Also on the ends, the bungee wraps around the back -- it gives the sail a bit of a bow out. And on the downspars, make sure they're run through the bungee loop. Don't feel bad about the size, it took seeing one in person for me to realize it was almost as twice as tall as me as it is long.

I haven't ever used the split lines, mostly due to not having a traction kite background. I used to use 90lb during the winter until I clipped one with a ski. Now its straight 150lb, which is probably for the better. In most cases the heavier line is used on top. You'll notice when flying it that the bottom lines is what controls the pull though. I don't see a need to buy a new lineset just because, as 200lb is enough for most normal conditions.... I wouldn't recommend taking the behemoth out above 20mph, and aim for about 7-9 steady to start to get a feel for it.

The one thing I haven't dealt with at all is the 4-8, and I don't even know how big that rolls up to either.

He he he.....

If you think the 2-4 is big....just wait till you get that 4-8 monster!

For lines, you will probably be ok with the mixed weight line set because they are very heavy duty but it is recommended to use a set that has all four lines equal weight. I would put the heavy lines (275 lb) on the tops and the 200lb on the bottoms. The bottoms do have a lot of pull on them but the top still sees slightly more when you fly it powered up.

I would be hesitant to use the 200# line on the 4-8 in stronger winds. For lighter winds (sub 8 mph) you should be ok.

• 4 weeks later...

I just wanted to drop a line and say thanks to everyone who has helped me recently in my kiting endevor.

Kent at A Wind of Change has been awesome and very very helpful. I would highly recommend his business. He has taken lots and lots of time to speaking with me on the phone about my kite purchases. His knowledge has helped me tremendously in getting started.

Lolly at Revolution has also been very helpful in solving a few issues that arose.

Also to all the people I have met at the parks and fields I have been flying in, thank you all for being so personable and open with your knowledge.

I now officially have 12 kites in my collection, I guess that means the Dark side has engulf me.

Thanks again for all your help and I look forward to one day meeting you all.

Brian

Wow, 12 kites in such a short time, no wonder Kent is so nice to you :kid_devlish: (just joking there folks, in case anyone wondered. Kent is one of the REAL good Guys, strange there are so many one here!!, the Forum I mean, oh and yes I know there are good Girls too, I just call everyone Guys, and yes, I do know the difference goodness a silly joke and now I feel I am looking up from a big hole :blue-grin: )

Go on then, tell us what they are, give us a list.

I am so pleased you are enjoying yourself, I know I do whan I fly. I should do more of it.

• 2 months later...

Baloo... Sorry I never got back to you,

I've been spending so much of my time outside at the parks I dont seem to get on the computer much anymore.

Since I can't go to my normal flying area today due to the holiday weekend, The Hot Air Balloons have it this weekend,

I figured I would catch up on the forums...

When I last posted I was at 12 kites... I now have 19, different styles for different days.

Revolution - 1.5 B-Series(3, Full Sail, Mid Vent, and Full Vent), Shockwave, Supersonic, Blast, PowerBlast 2-4, PowerBlast 4-8

Ozone - IMP III Quattro 1.0, IMP III Trainer 1.5

HQ - Rush III Pro 350, Beamer IV 3.0

Flexifoil - Blade II 9.0, Blade III 4.9(2), Blade III 10.5, Blade IV 4.0, Blade IV 4.9

Peter Lynn - Twister II 5.6

With so many kites to choose from, it started to become a chore to bring them all to the park and as much as I like to fly all of them,

I've come to notice that I truely favor 2 of them.

For some reason I always seem to have the Blast and a Blade III 4.9 with me whereever I am. They are two totally different styles

of kite and each brings a smile to my face for a different reason.

I love the Blast for its control... It may not be as fast as the shockwave, but it gives me that "pull" that I love without me worrying

about being over-powered even in strong winds. Since the control is "delicate" shall we say compared to a foil, I am usually more

relaxed when I'm flying it. I've noticed more people will come up and talk to me when I am flying the Blast so it really is a SOCIAL kite.

I get more adults approching me and asking me about the Blast and wanting to try it. (Kent, I always direct them to you!!!)

The Blade is just a different monster, since this is the Rev forum I wont get into it to much, but suffice to say, I'm usually more focused

when I'm flying it, due to its lifty nature I've noticed that most people will give it a "wider" birth or are a little leary when its in the air

as they are not quite sure what a "parachute" is doing attached to lines. (I've been told this on a few occasions) It seems to draw

children more, as I think they just see a large kite in the sky and get excited.

With winter approacing, I'm not quite sure what I'm going to do now... I HATE the cold so I think snow kiting is out... I guess I may

just have to get that ZEN thats been calling my name and try my hand at indoor flying.... See that would make it 20 kites this season!

Good winds,

Brian

If the winter weather stops you from flying Revs, maybe you should consider 'wintering over' in sunny San Diego! Rent is lower during the off season months. And a large number of Rev flyers belong to the San Diego Kite Club!

dc

I just wanted to drop a line and say thanks to everyone who has helped me recently in my kiting endevor.

Kent at A Wind of Change has been awesome and very very helpful. I would highly recommend his business. He has taken lots and lots of time to speaking with me on the phone about my kite purchases. His knowledge has helped me tremendously in getting started.

Lolly at Revolution has also been very helpful in solving a few issues that arose.

Also to all the people I have met at the parks and fields I have been flying in, thank you all for being so personable and open with your knowledge.

I now officially have 12 kites in my collection, I guess that means the Dark side has engulf me.

Thanks again for all your help and I look forward to one day meeting you all.

Brian

With winter approacing, I'm not quite sure what I'm going to do now... I HATE the cold so I think snow kiting is out... I guess I may

just have to get that ZEN thats been calling my name and try my hand at indoor flying.... See that would make it 20 kites this season!

Good winds,

Brian

I had an ugly reminder of winter's approach today, flying kites in the rain and low 50s. Got very near to getting out the Blast just because with an easy flick of the wrist you can shake all the water off of it; however the single line was being high maintenance due to field area.

By all means, don't go out in December. Spring is the time to go out and play on the snow, when the sun starts shining again. Especially down there in CO where it warms up into the 40s or even 50s easily during the day. Its all about deciding how much work you want to do, and whether its a lot of work at the beginning and end with a joyride in the middle, or some work all along.

When you do pick up a Zen, head outside on one of those days where it seems like theres no wind. Grass is a bit more forgiving than gym floors and a tiny bit of breeze takes out most of the work. Sounds like you've already figured out its easier to have a bag of kites than to chase the wind around looking for "perfect"!

Revolution - 1.5 B-Series(3, Full Sail, Mid Vent, and Full Vent), Shockwave, Supersonic, Blast, PowerBlast 2-4, PowerBlast 4-8

Ozone - IMP III Quattro 1.0, IMP III Trainer 1.5

HQ - Rush III Pro 350, Beamer IV 3.0

Flexifoil - Blade II 9.0, Blade III 4.9(2), Blade III 10.5, Blade IV 4.0, Blade IV 4.9

Peter Lynn - Twister II 5.6

Hi Brian

If you got a second, send me a private message ... I'd like to chat to you about some of your kites, specifically one of your Blades and some of your Revs.

I have full sail and full vent B series, 1.5 SLE, indoor, Blast and Zen Revs, Flexifoil Rage 3.5 and Blade IV 4.9 as well as some foils from other manufacturers. You might be able to see where this is going ... I'd like to chat to you about how some of your kites compare to others.

Steven

I'd be very interested to know how your 5.6m Twister II compares to your 4.9m Blades?

I'm a huge fan of the 3m & 4.1m Twisters, but haven't had the chance to try the bigger ones yet.....I guess the Rev forum isn't the best place for open power-kite chat, so I'd be glad to converse by PM too, if you feel so inclined.

innocent.gif

All the best

Andy S.