To See Or Not To See.........

Redrocket

Question

Hello,

What sunglasses would you recommend?

I'm struggling at the moment – I have been out flying a few of times now and each time I have had to fly looking in the direction of that bright lad in the sky. It ain't too bad low down but being a newbie I prefer flying higher (less chance of hitting the ground). Unfortunately, flying higher forces me to look directly at the sun which is obviously bad. So I end up doing huge squints or shutting my eyes altogether which is also a bid dodgy. Hence the above question.

I'm not necessarily after a particular manufacturers name, just wondering if there was a type of lens I should be looking for?

Thanks again helpful people.

Chris

Wow, what a turn out. Thanks for all the replies (and personal motor racing preferences).

I was debating whether to post his or not – it seemed a bit like a silly question at the time, but has obviously been well received. That's nice.

I sort of knew I needed a darker lens but never considered all the UV protection stuff……..DOH!!.

Like the blind-fold idea……….quality. If you'd seen me fly you would think I was wearing a blind-fold……ha ha, lots to learning to be done.

Thanks Again

Chris

I'm sure it's been brought up in this topic somewhere, but besides the issue of being able to see into bright sunny skies, it's ever so important to protect one's eyes. My eye doctor just recently told me that wearing good quality sunglasses prevents your eyes from degenerating rapidly. Who needs any more reason than that to wear them??? For the record, I use Oakleys with black iridium lenses. They're so sweet, I often forget I'm wearing sunglasses! I hope to get polarized ones someday. cool.gif

Greetings,

Just a quick piece of info for all you vision conscientious people out there who were kind enough to reply to my question here. I have just taken delivery of a bargain piece of eye-wear, in the form of 'Zeal Optics' 'Dignity's'. These were brand new from flea bay and cost me £5.96 including postage……….unbelievable! I am yet again a happy man, and also a very lucky one of course.

They're ace. Really comfy, and being polarised give a very nice clear and crisp vision, and with 12% LT no more big squints for Chrissy…….. joy.

See ya

Another item in my sun protection gear - never leave home without it...

A hat with broad-ish brim that can be positioned just above the eyes. That will help greatly when flying just below the level of the sun, and reduces about half the total glare all the time.

Floppy hunting hats, like Cabela sells, work well and have the all important chin strap which is necessary whenever the winds finally get interesting. :kid_smartass:

Or you could go Aussie or cowboy to look cool. Make sure you can microposition the brim on the front tho. Baseball caps can work, but provide less protection from the sides. I got a nice one from Kite Connection, long bill and seriously down-turned sides that are very useful.

For sun glasses, I need Rx glasses so I specify "Real dark" and "Polarized", and get the largest frames practical.

BTW, cataracts are a standard feature of eyes my age. To delay the progression as long as you can, always wear dark glasses on bright days. (Cataracts, arthritis, poor balance, cr**py memory - a few features you can look forward to if you are lucky.)

As for cloudy days, having grown up in NW US (Portland, Seattle), my sensitive tiny blue eyes need dark glasses whenever there is a patch of sky not covered by thick dark clouds. That is why sun glasses probably sell better here in the rain forest than other regions of the world. Think "mole people". :lol::P

Greetings,

Just a quick piece of info for all you vision conscientious people out there who were kind enough to reply to my question here. I have just taken delivery of a bargain piece of eye-wear, in the form of 'Zeal Optics' 'Dignity's'. These were brand new from flea bay and cost me £5.96 including postage……….unbelievable! I am yet again a happy man, and also a very lucky one of course.

They're ace. Really comfy, and being polarised give a very nice clear and crisp vision, and with 12% LT no more big squints for Chrissy…….. joy.

See ya

Glad you settled on the Zeal Optics.

As I'd mentioned earlier in this thread I have them and LOVE them! I've worn Maui Jim's Revos, etc and have found the Zeals to be as good or better than those and at less than half the price.

Geeze, I just priced a set of "script-Oakleys"

with the gold iridium lens,

plus my bifocal prescription, no-scratch coating, polarized... $850.

They can keep 'em for that number!

I'm on a mission for glacier glasses instead,

outrageous, simply outrageous the prices of glasses nowadays!

And this is the main reason why I do not own a set of them! Just outrageously priced.

In Cervia I had to use the non-prescription BLOC EDS1000 that I carry for emergencies. Arriving on the beach most mornings the light off shore breeze was directly towards the sun. As the day progressed the breeze shifted to on shore but effectively remained directly towards the sun all afternoon...

Felix