To See Or Not To See.........

Redrocket

Question

Hello,

What sunglasses would you recommend?

I'm struggling at the moment – I have been out flying a few of times now and each time I have had to fly looking in the direction of that bright lad in the sky. It ain't too bad low down but being a newbie I prefer flying higher (less chance of hitting the ground). Unfortunately, flying higher forces me to look directly at the sun which is obviously bad. So I end up doing huge squints or shutting my eyes altogether which is also a bid dodgy. Hence the above question.

I'm not necessarily after a particular manufacturers name, just wondering if there was a type of lens I should be looking for?

Thanks again helpful people.

Chris

Oakley Flak Jacket for me with polarized Gold or Black iridium XLJ lenses.

The gold lens ,for me, gives a better clarity at long distance.(Old golfer tried them all!)

Lenses are replaceable. In the case I keep two sets of lenses. One set with a small scratches for the gritty sand ballistic wind days on the beach. One perfect for everywhere else.

Cleaning cloth and solution.

Never clean them on the beach with your shirt(unless completely necessary). You will damage them. The beach is evil on glasses.

Wash in the sink first then apply cleaning solution.

Expensive ...yes!

But I only have one set of eyes .

Also some sort of hat helps glare.

Bazzer

... Unfortunately, flying higher forces me to look directly at the sun which is obviously bad...

hi chris

most modern lens materials are good at blocking UV (a,b,c)...

but it's important to have a snug fitting frame/lens to take full advantage of this.

looking DIRECTLY at or near the sun is still an issue.

for that application minimal light transmission is also important.

so look for lens that block 90-95% of ALL light or only allow 5-10% transmission.

for example 'glacier' style lens would be good, but ANY lens with minimal light transmission is good.

oakley, unfortunately doesn't make ANY lens with less than 10% light transmission and most of their lens are 15-25%

this is FINE for active sports but not ideal for gazing DIRECTLY toward/near the yellow ball or with a LOT of reflected light.

polarization is nice (and it makes the polycarbonate coated sails LOOK cool) and so are blue or gold coatings when near WATER.

there are lens that ADJUST DARKNESS based on how bright it is (bolle' modulator is one example)

and some of those block 93% of visible light at the max while dropping to 80% blocking when the light is less intense.

it's probably best to have more than one pair or multiple lens for use in a variety of conditions.

cheers

'moe

Edited by revmoe

In the States we have Maui Jim sunglasses that you can get with either glass or plastic lenses - both polarized. I think polarized glass lenses are the way to go myself and they really work well if you're around water as far as cutting glare. As a bonus, I'm a goofy flyfisherman and they are incredible for spotting fish. I'm sure there are other good polarized glass lens sunglasses, but if you ever run across Maui Jim's - pick some up and you'll like them.

Like2Fly

hi chris

most modern lens materials are good at blocking UV (a,b,c)...

but it's important to have a snug fitting frame/lens to take full advantage of this.

looking DIRECTLY at or near the sun is still an issue.

for that application minimal light transmission is also important.

so look for lens that block 90-95% of ALL light or only allow 5-10% transmission.

for example 'glacier' style lens would be good, but ANY lens with minimal light transmission is good.

oakley, unfortunately doesn't make ANY lens with less than 10% light transmission and most of their lens are 15-25%

this is FINE for active sports but not ideal for gazing DIRECTLY toward/near the yellow ball or with a LOT of reflected light.

polarization is nice (and it makes the polycarbonate coated sails LOOK cool) and so are blue or gold coatings when near WATER.

there are lens that ADJUST DARKNESS based on how bright it is (bolle' modulator is one example)

and some of those block 93% of visible light at the max while dropping to 80% blocking when the light is less intense.

it's probably best to have more than one pair or multiple lens for use in a variety of conditions.

cheers

'moe

Oakely all following are 9 percent

Black iridium Polarized

Gold iridium Polarized

Ice iridium Polarized

I have used Adidas Elevation Climacool with the 95% 'Space' lens for summer and the 87% 'Grey' lens for winter for 4 years now. Very comfortable wrap around with changeable lenses (which are available seperately) and adjustable hinges. They also come with attachments to convert to ski glasses and should you ever need prescription lenses (as I do) they take standard clip in inserts. Again not cheap but they are good blue_cool.gif

Adidas Sunglasses - Elevation ClimaCool a136

Addidas Product Catalogue 2010

Only thing to watch - the Space (95%) lens is not strictly legal in the UK for driving (I believe anything over 90% is deemed too dark).

1 x Oakley minute with dark brown lensesmatrix.gif

1 x Oakley xx with mirrored lensesmatrix.gif

1 x Oakley Gascan with mirrored lensesmatrix.gif

1 x Oakley X metal with mirrored lensesmatrix.gif

Have worn all of them on various sunny days and have had no problems with bright sunlight.As mentioned above you need a polarized lense for the best protection.If you are going to spend a lot of money on your kites,you need to spend a few pounds/dollars or whatever your currency on good set of sunglasses so you can see that exspensive kite you have purchased when the sun is blasting you in face.I would highly recommend oakley glasses,I know they can be costly but you can replace a pair of glasses you can't replace your eyes

Oakely all following are 9 percent

Black iridium Polarized

Gold iridium Polarized

Ice iridium Polarized

ooops! my bad, 9% is good.

other things worth noting for the op...

-none of the REALLY DARK (5-10%) lens should be used for DRIVING or other vision critical tasks.

-none of the REALLY DARK (5-10%) lens allow one to look DIRECTLY at the sun.

even brief gazes directly at the yellow ball can cause permanent eye damage.

cheers

'moe

ooops! my bad, 9% is good.

other things worth noting for the op...

-none of the REALLY DARK (5-10%) lens should be used for DRIVING or other vision critical tasks.

-none of the REALLY DARK (5-10%) lens allow one to look DIRECTLY at the sun.

even brief gazes directly at the yellow ball can cause permanent eye damage.

cheers

'moe

I have the solution. Fly in Seattle or the UK

The sun isn''t a problem there!

Clouds are always in the way LOL

Bazzer

I have the solution. Fly in Seattle or the UK

The sun isn''t a problem there!

Clouds are always in the way LOL

Bazzer

tru'dat!

notice where the op is located?

i lived in seattle for many years

and it could have been an urban myth,

but the local history was that MORE sunglasses were sold per capita in seattle

than any place else in the usa, except for socal.

and it was very common to see folks driving in the totally grey daze or high noon darkness, headlights on...

while wearing dark glasses and mainlining caffeine.

cheers

'moe

For reasons like this, it's very useful to train with "peripheral flying", where you're not looking directly at your kite, relying on feel as you go around a curve or through a corner, feeling the tension and inertia... It's what allows us to lead our whole team through the center of the fireball and still get the job done. ;)

Bazzer and I find that we do best when we chat about formula one racing while in the line and gaze into each other's eyes.

This seems to work for us. Your mileage may vary.

:D

Yep I'm bombarded by Mclaren bS from both sides. JD is also a F1 nut. Actually Stevie is too.

See i'm converting them one at a time.

Maybe I should have the red kite wit a prancing horse on it......hmmmmmmmmmmmm!

Oh for you NAscar people...its the racing where they make right turns as well.

Bazzer

Yep I'm bombarded by Mclaren bS from both sides. JD is also a F1 nut. Actually Stevie is too.

See i'm converting them one at a time.

Maybe I should have the red kite wit a prancing horse on it......hmmmmmmmmmmmm!

Oh for you NAscar people...its the racing where they make right turns as well.

Bazzer

I'm a Ferrari fan and also a fan of Ross Brawn and his work since his days with the red.