Should we translate "left" and "right"?

Mike

The manual is currently being translated into Spanish by Gustavo Di Si.

He felt that the names of the figures should stay in English for international usage.

The question I have, is should some of the commands be translated or not?

Gustavo feels we should translate "left" and "right" into Spanish for example. A member of Team Bolau from Spain agrees with him.

If I am flying with an international group and they call "Radar", I know what to do.

If, however, they call for me to do "cientos ochenta y regreso", I'm stuck.

On the other hand, it's not too hard for me to learn "left", "right", "180 and return" in a few different languages, and it may be asking too much for everyone else to learn these commands in English.

I know we have Spanish speaking members reading this forum, if there is anyone here who speaks French and has contact with a French team, I would love to get some more input.

What do you think?

Having called many International teams English tends to be the one language that everyone has in common. Having said that most people pick up the words for Ball, left, right, burst fairly quickly in another language. Certainly the latin based languages.

I tend to try and use a mixture of the languages when calling and this helps people get it right. So for example, in France I will call in both languages and then say "Go" This only gets difficult when the team has more than 2 nationalities in it. Europe is not that big and it is fairly common to have a team with English, French, Dutch and German fliers in it. Calling in another language proved a lot harder in Spain earlier in the year, but we were getting it by the end.

If it can be translated then I would love to see it but I agree a glossary at the end is probably the best option. The difficult decision is how many languages? French & Spansih & English covers a large population of the Rev teams but what about Japanese, Flemmish or Dutch? The glossary could end up being bigger than the main text ;)

"How about doing it like this?

"La derecha (Right)"

"Izquierdo" (Left)"

"Encima de (Up)"

"Abajo (Down)" (Left)"

"Encima de (Up)"

"Abajo (Down)"

A problem I found when travellng was learning words of the language needed from books and then my pronunciation being a mile off.

Some sort of phonetic translation might help.

How the heck do you pronounce "Izquierdo" ? :-)

Stephen, I dont think there is much of a problem between Flemish and Dutch speaking folk.

Can we include a phonetic spelling of the Spanish R-L-U-D's?

Also, I'd recommend that the NAMES of the maneuvers not be translated... This will be a major factor when we all get together.

If we know the moves by the same name, language of commands like GO or SI, or whatever, are less important.

Can we include a phonetic spelling of the Spanish R-L-U-D's?

Also, I'd recommend that the NAMES of the maneuvers not be translated... This will be a major factor when we all get together.

English: R-L-U-D

Spanish: D-I-A-A

German: R-L-O-U

French: don't know

Italian: D-S-S-G

Japanese: don't know

Nah, doesn't seem good.

You could have a director out in front doing sign language. But you might hang em.

I would suggest using the English as all words are single syllable and most understand those 4 words anyway. For those who don't know them, we can help them practice the words before, during and after.

I will take the RIGHT beer. derecho - rechts - (fr) - destra - (jp)

You take the LEFT beer. izquierda - links - (fr) - sinstra - (jp)

Lift the beer UP. arriba - oben - (fr) - su - (jp)

Set the beer DOWN. abajo - unten - (fr) - gui - (jp)

beer - cervesa - bier - biere - birra - ビール

I would highly suggest all maneuver names never be translated retaining the English names as it is the only language somewhat understood by practically every REV pilot. However, the text should definitely be translated.

I was thinking of doing a Poll for this question, but I want to know the nationalities of the responders, so a poll wouldn't work.

Here's the setup:

• A Brit is flying with some Rev fliers in Spain.
  • The team leader is Spanish.
  • 6 kites are arranged in a vertical line, all of them facing left.
  • The goal is to have the odd numbered kites face right and then go into a Blender.
  • It is agreed that the word "Blender" will be used to call the Blender.

What does the Spaniard call to get kites #1,3,5 to turn 180° and face right?

Here's how I would call it for iQuad... From vertical line, all facing left.

Odd kites face right, setting up for a Blender.

Las cometas impares hacen frente a la derecha, preparación para el mezclador.

Of course, clean up the Google translation to proper Spanish, but get the idea.

Another comment, I'd encourage short-hand calling whenever possible... Pinwheel, anti, 90 (for example).

If we can distill the language down (for both English and Spanish), focusing on key words, it will be easier for international meetings.

So on that note, I'm sure there would be a shorter, simpler way to give this command in Spanish:

Odd kites face right, setting up for a Blender... ... GO ... ... GO

I was thinking of doing a Poll for this question, but I want to know the nationalities of the responders, so a poll wouldn't work.

Here's the setup:

• The goal is to have the odd numbered kites face right and then go into a Blender.

Short answer is that for now the English guy calls. :rolleyes:

However, next year Team Bolau can call eh Tonet?

Dos Vino Tinto pour favor :blink:

On a slightly different note are we getting the input of the non-English speaking fliers as this is a predominently English speaking forum? What do the French/Dutch/Spanish think?

Here's the setup:

If it was me they could use Spanish, but is not me. Its a Brit that might be Stephen, so they would need to use English or French with him. Now if it was his wife Susan, you might be able to use Spanish. She was at least working on it in 2006.

I think it should really say "What should the Spanish call be when they have a Brit flying with them that does not understand or understands only a few words of Spanish?" We need to get this into Internationally understood simplified commands. This won't be simple.

A few points to consider for Spanish are:

You will most likely have noticed that the numbers from 1 to 10 are quite often the amongst the first 20 first words you will learn in another language. The word odd and even are not learned that early thus must covered in another way. So in this case you "could" use the numbers in Spanish.

BTW, the word "odd" is "impare" and "even" is "uniforme"

Now comes the 180 or "one hundred eight" which would be "cientos ochenta" or "one eight zero" would be "uno ocho cero"

How about the word "turn"? The word in Spanish is "vuelta". This word might make the first 100 Spanish words you would learn when learning Spanish.

You will also notice that the Spanish in Spain invariably will call the Revolution a "REVO" not a revolution, kite or cometa. I would presume if the Spanish use REVO all the time, we would all understand that.

I think now we need suggestions and inputs from the Spanish pilots on what they think. Even an input from the French would be quite helpful.

After further consideration, I feel very strongly that right, left, up, down and 180 be taught and listed in English, with translated explanations in the manual... Possibly even phonetic spellings along with them.

What pilots do in their home country "on the weekend" is up to them, but we're also trying to set an international standard we can all meet with.

Hello, my opinion is: to translate the manual to the Spanish, to include/understand it, I give you order in team bolau. I do not speak English, I understand that the ideal is a universal language, and must be the English.

In Spain every day it has but interest by Kites revolution, is good for having a translation of the manual.

Stephen, is year that comes, will give a wine bottle to you, very good, very good, promised. Perhaps us we drink it in Berck or in Valencia.

Gustavo,intento echarte una mano.quiero decirles,que entiendo que hay que aprenderse las figuras y las ordenes,en ingles,pero que seria conveniente una traduccion en español,para entender el manual,si vuelo con un ingles,un frances y un aleman(parece un chiste) tengo que poner algo de mi parte y lo mas facil es tirar del ingles.Estoy a tu disposicion,para lo que quieras.

• 2 years later...