Science Channel taping at Liberty State Park this Sunday!

Gaiiden

Production from the Science Channel is coming to NJ to film a bunch of kiters of any and all types doing there thang in the sky. The taping is for a show in the "Sci-Fi Science" series and is hosted by Dr. Michio Kaku! I dunno about you but I'm totally geeking out right now. The email I have says "We would not need people to speak on camera but simply to be filmed flying their kites with our presenter." which to me means he'll be there on site and won't be dubbed in later. Awesome! Oh plus you get to fly kites and get filmed doing it ;) No, there was no mention of pay and I didn't ask.

Shoot should take anywheres from 2-3 hours - but if anyone else is familiar with production like I am that number could easily stretch to 5-6 depending on all kinds of things. Either way plan to spend the whole day out on the field - but how is that anything new to most of us?

I talked on the phone today to the production assistant and she said that the shoot may be moved from Liberty Park because "some people" said it wasn't a good location. I was like "WHAT?!?" and set things straight - so as of now it's still on for Liberty but they don't have the location locked down, but the date is definitely locked in for this coming Sunday.

She told me "the more the merrier" so even if you have friends that don't fly, have em come and hang out!

Will post more info as I get it.<br style=""> <br style="">

Yes, the date was originally planned for this Saturday, but has been since changed to Sunday - this was made very clear in the email I received and I also talked to her on the phone about it. Time however is still TBD, and again the Liberty location isn't locked down but I did make sure she fought for it over these people who are saying it's not a good place to fly kites.

Yes, the date was originally planned for this Saturday, but has been since changed to Sunday - this was made very clear in the email I received and I also talked to her on the phone about it. Time however is still TBD, and again the Liberty location isn't locked down but I did make sure she fought for it over these people who are saying it's not a good place to fly kites.

Can't imagine why LSP would be a location frowned upon by some unless it was inconvenient for them to get there. It is most definitely an ideal location!

Sadly I will not be there but encourage anyone that can get there to participate; if for no other reason than to get out and enjoy the day!

Seems people were suggesting Sandy Hook instead, which is good from a kiting perspective but filming-wise they want the NYC skyline in the shot and down at Sandy Hook you'd need a clear day and HD camera to be able to see the skyline on video footage. Liberty may not always have the best winds but us serious kiters know we can get our stuff up even if we have to run backwards!

Apparently tho production found out there appears to be a 3,000 person walkathon or something going on in the park that day. Still going for it as of now. Should be interesting! 0_0

Seems people were suggesting Sandy Hook instead, which is good from a kiting perspective but filming-wise they want the NYC skyline in the shot and down at Sandy Hook you'd need a clear day and HD camera to be able to see the skyline on video footage. Liberty may not always have the best winds but us serious kiters know we can get our stuff up even if we have to run backwards!

Apparently tho production found out there appears to be a 3,000 person walkathon or something going on in the park that day. Still going for it as of now. Should be interesting! 0_0

Sandy Hook can be great, so long as the migratory birds aren't nesting. Within the next few weeks, the best beaches will be closed :-(

So, I did a bit of surfing and found out that there will be an MS walk on Sunday. Check in / parking is by the Ellis Island ferry at the northern end of the park. Their walking route will be along the "Liberty Walk" which is the ocean front walkway. If we meet to fly in our usual spot, south of the play ground, we should have plenty of space to fly. Hopefully the winds will be out of the south, which will allow the kites to be shot with a great NYC background. c'yall there!

Hey, a Walkathon shouldnt be a problem, you fly kites in the air not on the ground.

And worst comes to worst, you can walk and fly can't you.

So the first ever kite flying Walkathon, bit for charity and a first for kite flying.

Simples!!

Weather is looking iffy right now - fingers crossed! Either way, time is currently slated for 9:30 - 12:30. Will let you all know of course when I have final confirmation

I'm not concerned about the people I'm concerned about the parking. Especially since I might not be able to ride my bike up.

Weather is looking iffy right now - fingers crossed! Either way, time is currently slated for 9:30 - 12:30. Will let you all know of course when I have final confirmation

I'm not concerned about the people I'm concerned about the parking. Especially since I might not be able to ride my bike up.

I don't think it should be too much of a problem, since the event is slated to start rather far up north from our usual flying fields. And worse come to worst, theres yet another parking lot just a bit further south (the one used for the NJ Kite Competition) that is reasonably close to the flying field. And I've yet to see that one fill up.

So yea what Laura said, except the one producer that I've been talking to sent me an email saying that the shoot day was Saturday. But then the original producer who I first saw send out the email sent word to our AKA regional director that it was Sunday. Sooo... I'm waiting for an email back to confirm Sunday. If nothing shows up closer to the 5 o' clock whistle I'll give her a call.

So yea what Laura said, except the one producer that I've been talking to sent me an email saying that the shoot day was Saturday. But then the original producer who I first saw send out the email sent word to our AKA regional director that it was Sunday. Sooo... I'm waiting for an email back to confirm Sunday. If nothing shows up closer to the 5 o' clock whistle I'll give her a call.

Hi Drew-

Saturday is what Rich had heard. I wonder what would be happening on Sunday that both days are being discussed.

I guess we have to wait and see....

Okay got it all cleared up! Sunday is still the day for filming, and as Laura said please plan to get there at or before 9am so you have time to set up as the production crew gets their act together as well. Film shoot is planned for 3 hours starting around 9:30 and time is money so be ready to go when the camera starts rolling!

Also Michio might want to fly a kite on camera so bring some extras for him to try out. It would probably be best for him to tug on a single line if he has to concentrate on narrating, but I'm also bringing along my 1.5m 2-line stunt foil he can crash all he wants :)

See everyone there!

I will not be there as I will be at an astronomy forum listening to another well known physicist, Alex Filippenko. I would love to meet Michio if I were available. Have fun guys, and find out when we can see this show.

Hi Wayne-

Too bad... it would be great to see you and Barb.

Have a great time and I hope you get to meet Alex Filippenko. If you do, please tell him I said hello. 11.gif

See you next weekend at MIKE.

xoxo

Hi Carolyn-

Dennis Smith, Bob W., Al, Drew, Sammy and myself represented the Rev world. There were some SLK guys and dual line flyers there (a couple of those guys had "Rev offs" to fly, as well. There was a thread on the A.K.A. website, too. We all had to sign a release form. They seemed to be mainly interested in filming the kites in motion around the sun. The theme of the show is based on the solar power and the energy it generates. The kites are there to demonstrate the motion of the wind as it pertains to the solar energy (as I was told).

It should air sometime in the fall.

I asked the producer (I think that was her title; she also took our photos as we signed the release) if she could notify us when it's scheduled to air. Since she had been in touch with Todd Little in organizing the fly, it made sense to me to have her contact him when it airs. He can then notify us, via the forums, etc. with the air date.

Other than the above, there really isn't anything else to tell.

Here's my writeup of the experience. Great day.

http://www.blade-edg...ndex.php?p=1721

Drew,

Sounds like a great experience! I am jealous - you actually got to meet and fly with "Dr String Theory". I was at the Northeast Astronomy Forum listening to the "Meteorite Men" from the Science Channel and best of all Alex Fillipenko. Alex gave a great talk on supernovae, but I did not get to meet him or fly kites with him.

Hope to see you soon at MIKE!

Edited by Wayne