Low Wind Flyers

eishei

Hi guys..

Been lurking here for a while and try to absorb as many info as i can.

Ive been flying powerkite for 4 yrs. Its my truly passion.

At this moment im down with knee fractured due to jumping accident with my powerkite. :blushing:

So I wanted to slow down on my powerkite and thought of getting REV.

Im flying inland and the wind at this moment, hit 1-5mph gusty.

After read alot of u guys posts and comments on this forum, and sleepless nights too, at last i bought B-series over SUL. B)

I understand, B-series will not perform well as SUL in low wind. (correct me if im wrong)

So I would like to set my Rev as lighter as possible. My setting now is 2 wrap spars and lines of 90# x 85'..

If I intend to get another lines specially for flying at above wind speed, what specs of line do u suggest?

- 90# x 50'

- 50# x 85' or

- 50# x 50'

I also understand that Race rods will help bring the Rev weight down, but unfortunately, i dont have budget for it. Maybe next time ard.. or maybe I should forget about buying another lines and go straight for race rods. Your thoughts pls..

If you have any other suggestion, pls shoot.

Thanks in advance.

Hi eishei,

I fly an unmodded full sail B-Series (with Race Rods) in anything from street kiting to around 9mph before I switch to a full-vent. A big part of what keeps me flying in low/no wind days is my 90# x 30' line set. A 50' line set will work great as well. I wouldn't recommend using 50# line though. The 50# can get itself into knots a bit easier than the 90# line. Plus, if you were to go with the 90# not only can you use it in light wind, but whenever you are short on space.

The largest contributer to light wind flying is practice. It takes quite a bit of technique, and that is what will make the difference. If you are a subscriber to kitelife.com, John B. has a great light-wind tutorial showing some light-wind techniques to get you started.

http://kitelife.com/forum/index.php?app=downloads&showcat=106

• Like 1

Hi eishei,

I fly an unmodded full sail B-Series (with Race Rods) in anything from street kiting to around 9mph before I switch to a full-vent. A big part of what keeps me flying in low/no wind days is my 90# x 30' line set. A 50' line set will work great as well. I wouldn't recommend using 50# line though. The 50# can get itself into knots a bit easier than the 90# line. Plus, if you were to go with the 90# not only can you use it in light wind, but whenever you are short on space.

The largest contributer to light wind flying is practice. It takes quite a bit of technique, and that is what will make the difference. If you are a subscriber to kitelife.com, John B. has a great light-wind tutorial showing some light-wind techniques to get you started.

http://kitelife.com/...ads&showcat=106

Watty.. million thx for the advice.. will get the race rods first before the lines then..

My kid of 16yrs seem like enjoying the REV too.. he's ok with forward reverse brake and basic stuff. Our only problem is, we fly REV like we fly powerkite.. thus alot of crashes... we need to be be gentle on the hands movement with the handles.. :wacko:

So I would like to buy a REV EXP for him at later date.

Question.. Does the spars from EXP interchangeable with B-series?

I intend to fit 2 wrap spar on EXP and RR for my B-series. Will the EXP flyable in lower wind?

TIA again..

There is a slight difference in the Leading edge length between 1.5 and EXP, only One Inch though so you should be able to swap rods out and the bungee tension should sort the difference out.

If you are going for the ultimate in light wind flying maybe you could consider the 1.5 Zen leading edge, however it might be too fragile for repeated crashes, I am not sure.

My suggestion at the moment would be to persevere with the set up you have now, practice as much as you can, ask, watch and learn.

The EXP is a great kite, you will find LOADS of folks on here who started off with one. Just not quite as great as some of the newer versions.

Dont forget there is always the Rev 1 (I would go for a Sedgwick) or even the Zen for light weight work. However all at a price.

My fave set of lines at the moment is 50ft of 90lb LPG. Lets me have instant contact with the kite, still reasonable window to fly in.

Hope you get better soon, and enjoy flying your Rev.

you could next time order your B-Series (or the Pro-B) with the SUL leading edge, instead of 3.9 ounce dacron that comes standard

you could order some "blemished" tapered tubes in a lighter weight configuration for the down spars from another manufacturer

you could fly without a bridle or modify one for a more direct response

you could go to longer handles for increased throw length and sensitivity

you should certain stay on 90# LPG regardless of length, even indoors (except having one team-set of 50# - 120's)

practice the "archer move", get used to the kite being laid-out flat with the leading edge approaching "parallel with the ground" and pointed towards the horizon

learn how to pump the handles for a short burst of sudden power, (don't pull it out of the sky though, a smooth transition of energy application yields the maximum effect)

use your feet, arms and the kite's own mass to create momentum, mastering the leading edge down from the top of the window position, to recover your field, for example

grip light, (don't squeeze an angry cobra)

add more "DOWN" in your tuning than you think is appropriate, . . . so you're "squared-up with the wind" (that old plywood sheet, remember?)

watch (or better yet ~ get yourself a coach!~), so you can witness the proper techniques, that will save years of learning time!

I know a little bit about no wind and the swirls, having moved from Chicago to Ft Lauderdale. Then, when I arrived in DC ('93), I found out none of my kites would even fly 1/2 of the year here! I have since made no-wind flying a speciality and preferred set of conditions. Most of my kites are tuned or even highly modified for these conditions, it is the most common, so why not?

Your skills will grow faster when you have to add some of the energy instead of relying on the kite/wind combination entirely. I laugh every year at Richmond's annual sport kite competition. Someone arrives in from a home-place that ALWAYS has wind, 30 seconds into their routine they are backed-up into a corner, dead. The locals on the other hand, have a home-court advantage if you will, i guess that could be said everywhere truthfully.

My ideal no wind set-up is 65 or 70 feet in length (for practice), but to show-off at a festival I'll drop to 50 feet. I almost always use a full sail, SUL leading edge, 1.5 size format with different bridles. My lightest weight one has "Breeze" down-spars and micro-carbon magic sticks with a Race leading edge tube, spectra only bridle. It's the original B-Series sail, an old one, before the pro was released. It was quite possibly dipped in magic dust, it simply outflies all other kites I own, maybe it's the stretched-out panels? I have a ZEN which I'm still learning, that kite is a hoot in no wind (SLOW though by comparison). All these kites could take a steady 6 mph breeze safely plus being worthy of flight in a dead calm, practice is the difference few want to consider. Almost anyone could fly a kite for a couple of minutes in tough conditions if they had to. But when your desire is to do it all day long, every Sunday minimum, you eventually either quit flying entirely or embrace the no-wind dark side. I'm a busted-up old guy besides, I don't run anymore. I have kites that will float on a fart in church, . . . don't make me risk Ashworth's 1.6 Orcon outside please.

Frame too lightly, you'll have zero mass and no durability either! Every significant modification is compromise, how far off into deep-end do you want to leap? (just so you can fly one-footed <LOL!>

Guys.. thx for ur thoughts, suggestions and comments

Baloo.. Im thinking of EXP (coz of price wise) for my kid, so we can fly together.. I do understand that EXP's sail is heavier than B-series..

but if with 2 wraps, it can fly in lower wind range, i would like to get it.

Thx for the wishes... my leg's cast were removed last month and my knee still stiff.. but heck, still enjoying flying the REV.

REVflyer.. Its an eye-opener reading ur post..

I hope i will able to execute all the moves u mentioned, in the future..

SUL/B-series/Zen is out of my reach.. :huh:

I think an EXP is a good first Rev, obviously price is always an issue. And at one fest I went to the winds were so light I could not keep a B series wit light sticks in the air. In fact I couldnt keep anything in the air.

Along comes a young lad with a battered and faded EXP and just strated flying rings rond most folks.

Just go's to show a good flyer can fly anything. I am seriously limited to the kit I fly (hence the order for a Zen) Still not able to fly well, I can always blame the kit :kid_devlish: NOT.

If you are prepared to buy second hand do keep an eye on Ebay, and other Kite type places. You even see them offered on here on occasions.

If you do have a chance to fly with anyone else who has Revs I am sure they will let you try whatever they have, I know I would, bit of a trip for you though :)

You look after that Knee. I always used to believe folks when they said it hurt when I was a Paramedic, was never tempted to test it out for myself.

Baloo.. thx.. :)

We r not serious flyer.. only fly on weekends for ard 2hrs..

so 2nd hand's kite should do good enough for us.. will have a look out ;)

hope we will enjoying flying the rev as we are always enjoying flying the powerkite..

Will try to meetup with some guys flying the rev soon.. Now, we r having wet weather.. and the air is so still..:blink:

As for my knee.. still doing some stretching and stuff, coz my knee could not bend much.. thx bro

Has anyone flown an indoor Rev with two or three wrap rods in light linds. I found you don't fly outside with indoor rods.

Well, the 1.5 rods don't generally fit very well into the Rev Indoor. The difference in length is not a large problem on the vertical spars, but on the leading edge, the length difference adds up, so the normal rev Indoor leading edge is a good four inches longer than that of the Rev 1.5. Because of this, I have never flown the Rev Indoor on anything but normal indoor rods. I also never fly my rev indoor outdoors. Because of the design of the sail and rods, a slight breeze makes the kite very twitchy.

Thanks Watty, I was just wonderingas I have one and never flew it inside. May have to get rid of it. Getting to old to be doing indoor anymore.

what is too old?!?!! at 44 I don't like backing up much but I think that is the titanium rod in my leg...