Rev #2 arrived!!!

DonaldLL

Question

The Rev kite arrived the a week ago the day I left town so it sat in the box until I got back today (Friday). I felt like a little kid.... man that was a long week. My mid vent B series came with 2 sets of rods... a Professional Use Only set and an Ultralight set; I also ordered a set of Race rods. Actually, I thought the mid vent would come with the Ultralight and the Revolution Equipped but no matter; I will buy the 4 wrap set anyway just to have more options.

Well I left my meter home so I don't know for sure but there wasn't much wind. I'd say 5 mph with some occasional 8 mph bumps but mostly 5 mph and sometimes less; again I am no expert at estimating wind but I wasn't very much. I have only flown a 1.5 SLE and I knew I'd have had difficulty flying my stock 1.5 SLE in today's wind. I wasn't feeling very good about the conditions but I have a new kite! I gotta give it a go.

I didn't want to use the 2 wraps because I had no idea what to expect maybe I'd break 'em; I am an experienced beginner at best; I thought the 3 wraps might be too heavy but what do I know? I swapped out the 3 wraps and installed the Race rods... I don't know, something about the light like 2 wrap strong like 3 wrap seemd like the best idea to me.

Well let me tell you... this kite.... it was like buttah. My first surprise; there was enough wind! Sometimes I had to work at it but then just when I'd struggle a bit, along came a puff and off it would go. When the wind did pick up and get a little bumpy, as it does so often where I fly, I could tell the vents smoothed it out. The flex of the Race rods... that's a completely different feel than the SLE. I know I need to get the feel or find my touch but the 1.5 Barresi with the Race rods made me realize what 'touch' is. I guess when you're new at this, you don't know what you don't know but this kite now gave me a perspective that I didn't have before. There were moments when the Rev would just sit and hover almost as if it were a mind meld rather than handle and line connection. It was amazing. I must have hit a sweet spot a couple of times and for just a few moments it seemed to defy gravity.

I flew for over 2 hours.... until sunset. I was soooo relaxed, I was soooo in tune and focused with trying to "feel" the input from the kite that when I got in the car to drive away I drove for about a mile at less than the speed limit of 20 mph; as I began to snap out of my trance, I noticed I was 'feeling' the accelerator thru my shoe. I was driving my car with touch!!!

I can't really say much more. I am kind of at a loss. For most of you reading this, I know YOU know. For others like me (yesterday) who have only experienced your first Rev... just wait until you try the second one!

Edited by DonaldLL

9 answers to this question

Kitefantex you are not allowed to read my mind! By the way, I bought a set of Race rods when I oredered the 2nd Rev so I have that covered.

I'll be ordering my 3rd Rev this week. I was thinking (subject to change) that I'd get a Supersonic next so I can add a little speed to the mix but then I found myself considering the standard B.

quaa714 my timing is just a little off. I was in New Orleans up until Thursday last week so I missed the Kite Fest Louisiane. The weekend you are in Miami, I am out of town again. Travel will cease for me beginning in May so anytime after that I can take you up on your offer

Donald