Jumped the Gun

mike8574

My rev came in the mail today............

Ok I slammed the dvd, did a dry run on setup in the house, ran to the closest park and tried to fly my rev 1.5 SLE.

Well lets just say the wind wasn't cooperating blew like crazy while I laid the lines and put the kite together.

I ran back to the controls grabbed them jerked and she flew like a dream straight up Yea! Got to the top she did a right turn

and flew straight down. Then the wind died got gusty came from every point of the compass and did it's best to screw me.

Well after many attempts to get airbourne I gave up and rolled up the line. Wouldn't you know it as soon as I had the kite kite back in the bag

the wind came back nice and steady and blew only from one direction. Well I wasn't biting went home and got my rev fix from youtube.

But just wait until friday when I'm off work.

I do have some questions though

1. What should the bridal look like when the end caps are placed in the rods? pics would help.

2. Do I have to measure my lines to make sure there the right length? Scratch that will measure them on Friday.

3. Do I need to check the bridal to make sure it's set up right and what the margin of error on it?

4. Whats with the wind I'm looking out the window and it's blowing perfect. But I know what will happen the second the rev's out of it's bag.

Well thats all I got for today will keep ya updated on my further adventures.

I should probably add that this is my first stunt kite and the journey should if nothing be humorous.

Welcome to the forum, Fly! Your first outing with the Rev sounds almost like my own experience nearly three years ago! Be prepared, you're about to get a ton of advice on this forum. :)

Let me address one or two of your questions as I'm sure there are others who can describe things with way better accuracy:

#2 is Very Important!!! The answer is YES! I flew for three weeks with about 1/2" difference in my Upper & Lower lines when I first started out. Not knowing that was huge in my learning frustrations. Next thing you need to do is swop out the SLE leading edge for a "3 Wrap" frameset. Maybe it's best you do that after you get out of the crashing stage.

#4 if you're flying inland, those winds can be verrrrrry squirrely! Wind eddies around buildings and treelines and creates a swirling effect. Try to find somewhere to fly that is big and open and preferably elevated above all the wind noise. Ideally you want wind that is coming smoothly from one direction.

While it's not on your list of questions, I highly recommend that you find yourself a method of winding your lines that you are comfortable with. You will also want to learn about making the leaders on your handles adjustable. These are key skills you will need. Best forum articles for these topics are here:

Lines

http://www.kitelife.com/magazine/issue55/revisions55/content.php

http://kitelife.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=1620

Handles

http://www.kitelife.com/magazine/issue45/revisions45/content.php

http://www.kitelife.com/magazine/issue43/revisions43/content.php

http://www.revkites.com/forum/topic/1783-leader-adjustment/page__pid__33849

Edited by Aerochic

Hey, welcome to the addiction that is Rev flying.

Probably the best advice you cn have is to find others in your area to fly with. However there is LOADS of advice on here.

As far as the wind is concerned, buy yourself a wind tunnel, a HUGE one, then invite us all round to play. :kid_devlish:

1. What should the bridal look like when the end caps are placed in the rods? pics would help.

2. Do I have to measure my lines to make sure there the right length? Scratch that will measure them on Friday.

3. Do I need to check the bridal to make sure it's set up right and what the margin of error on it?

4. Whats with the wind I'm looking out the window and it's blowing perfect. But I know what will happen the second the rev's out of it's bag.

On #1 - Rods behind the sail, bridle in front. I think the DVD covers this, but still saw a new flyer with Rods on wrong side this last weekend.

On #3 - I've not heard reported problems on the bridle before, but line sets can be an issue - especially with differences between left and right hands. Obvious check is to stake all the line loops on a single ground stake walk the lines out and check (with lines under moderate tension) at the far end. Sounds like you know what to do if there is a problem.

[As an aside, I gather there are alternate line attachment points on the Rev Blast's bridle, so that would probably be a separate topic]

#4. Oh yes! :kid_smartass: ...but with practice you'll still get to play regardless. Most of us have been gently lured into the black art of Revs and then discovered that one Rev is never enough. Got a standard sail? Need a vented sail. Got both? Need something for light (near non-existent) wind. And so on... :kid_devlish:

Baloo is definitely on the money. Do try to find others to fly with. I learned more flying with another experienced Rev pilot in one session than I'd learned over the course of ...well.. quite some time! And flying in team is a real blast!

Three main rules:

1. Breathe.....

2. Relax

3. Enjoy!!

[Edit: wording revised to reduce ambiguity]

Edited by andelscott

Great advice all thanks.

About the bridal. The question...

the short black lines that hold the end caps to the kite they do not seem to be placed properly some of them come around the cap from behind, it's seems these should be unclutered so to speak.

I will remove them and place them back on the caps so that when the caps are placed on the rods they don't look so tangled.

As to addiction besides the original 1.5 sle here is my latest order

Revolution Stacking Line Kits

Kite_Kit: Stack_4_1half_ft

a second Revolution 1.5 SLE, SUL & VentedColor: bk-red-black Revolution - Multi Kite Bag

2 each Revolution - 1.5 Leading Edge 1/4" diameter Center Shaft 3 wrap 2 each Revolution - 1.5 Leading Edge 1/4" diameter Center Shaft 4 wrap

So I better learn to fly this thing.

I have been checking around can't find anyone around here who fly's anything but one string kites.

I'm located in southern Minnesota anyone close?

Hey you're on your way to full blown addiction.

The learning curve is a "whippin" til you get through it.

I got lucky and found someone real close to me that helped with all the things I could not get clear on in words.

Do as much research as you can. Lots of helpful folks in this TRIBE.

Stick with it.Totally worth it!!

I ran back to the controls grabbed them jerked and she flew like a dream straight up Yea! Got to the top she did a right turn

and flew straight down. Then the wind died got gusty came from every point of the compass and did it's best to screw me.

Well after many attempts to get airbourne I gave up and rolled up the line. Wouldn't you know it as soon as I had the kite kite back in the bag

the wind came back nice and steady and blew only from one direction. Well I wasn't biting went home and got my rev fix from youtube.

But just wait until friday when I'm off work.

One day last week Lynn and I were at Huntington Beach. The wind was a nice off-shore, maybe 7-8 mph. I went out on the beach, set up, launched and flew for about ten minutes and set the kite down as Lynn had just started to set up. By the time she set up, my kite had blown over toward the handles, and there was a very nice, steady 7-8 on shore.

Both at the beach and inland, we have seen what seemed to be a nice wind start blowing from different directions, or stop suddenly. Many times, if you are patient, it will come up nice from a completely different direction.

Don't give up too fast. Trust me.

I do have some questions though

The biggest think to look out for here is that everything is clean. I've had times where at one of the corners of the bridal it was all tangled up, and it significantly changed the way the kite flew.

You don't need to "measure" them, but just make sure they are the same length. The way to do this is to stake one end of the lines and then pull tight on the other end. If any lines are too long, untie the knot in the sleeving, slide the sleeving down, and retie it.

The biggest thing to look out for in regards to the bridal when you setup the kite is to make sure that it is not wrapped around the end caps, and all the joints in the bridal are clean.

I know the feeling. I cannot count the number of times I set up the kite and got fed up with freaky wind. Unfortunately, I tended to take the bate. I can remember many times setting up and taking down the kite getting frustrated, getting hopeful, then frustrated again. It happens.

I've decided to use this topic to detail my trials and mistakes and ultimate joy into the realm of rev flying.

Thanks for all the info. I'm just joking about the wind.

Well took the kite out of the bag and worked the bridal. I think this kite might have been assembled on a Monday.

Anyway got the bridal so that the lines lead straight and clean from the end caps.

Waiting for the weather to warm up so I can check my line length.

Looks like the wind is coming I might just get to fly today.

I might just have to leave Minnesota and move back to Florida.

Till just recently you didn't want to be in Fl.

Just started to get warm here in Largo and TI.

Now have to get back to Ohio for the summer.

Shoot I lived in Gainsville Fla. (Go Gators) for 7 years I loved the heat.

But hey here's the latest news.

I FLEW TODAY!! Officially my first time.

As my daughter would say " OH YEA! OH YEA! OH YEA!"

Well first a little on the wind conditions.

Flags and the wind sock at the airport were straight out and whipping, 6 foot fir trees were swaying.

I think that means 19 to 24 mph

Thought twice about launching and then said the heck with it, if I need to buy new rods after this so be it.

So I unwound my lines. (After checking my line length before going to fly. I did a straight wrap like in the video tutorial. Never again what a mess

after flying I went back to a figure eight wrap)

Hooked up my baby pulled and up she went like a rocket. I was looking straight up at the kite, it was directly over my head. I might need to put some reverse into my lines.

Started working on horizontal flight did pretty good but man did that kite scream sounded just like a jet engine. Did some spins in both directions, some figure eights all was good.

I went on to try reverse flight just straight up and back down took quite a bit of control but I did it I blame the difficulty on the wind speed.

Had a few crashes leading edge down which gave me the opportuntiy to learn the basic reverse launch which is probably my best move right now.

My kite survived the strong winds. Just shows ya how well there made.

I only flew for two hours but it was great!

I did notice a tendency to pull the handle back when making turns instead of pivioting hmmm will have to work on this.

Question... when flying horizontally do you turn your hands in the direction the kite is going?

Oh yea when I checked my line length one was an inch longer than the rest. You would think when you spend $65 for a bit of string they could get the length right.

Well thats all for today.

Edited by FlyWithMe

Question... when flying horizontally do you turn your hands in the direction the kite is going?

I always do. Seems natural to have the handles pointing in the direction of travel. Horizontal is easy, it's that standing on my head when it's flying inverted that is really tough...

Bart

Edited by bartman

You are well on your way! One of the most common things new fliers do lift their hands up (often over their head) to "make" the kite go up. You will have better body mechanics and overall form if you keep your hands between waist and chest level. Look for videos of experienced fliers and watch the pilot and how he/she "handles" the handles. Don't worry about "steering" the kite by pointing the handles in the direction the kite is going in. As you gain confidence and abilities, you will find yourself doing it less. We all find our own style, in time. :blue-music:

Welcome to Revolution!

There is a kite fest in Milwaukee late in May I think... another in Grinnel (sp) Iowa.. isn't the AKA based in Minnesota?? I am planning on being near the Mississippi head waters probably near 4 July...

sounds like you got the bug bad.... rev_clockwork.gif

Great that you are starting to "feel" it. And fantastic that you are letting us all know how you are getting on.

As far as brake is concerned, if the kite is screaming up the window you may well in most folks opinion not have enough brake dialed in.

Presuming you have made longer top leaders (even longer than the ones that came with the B handles if you have them)try letting them out a bit at a time till you have to "pop" the handles up to your chest for a launch, or maybe take a step back. Persever with the setting, it will feel strange for a while, and reverse will tend to over control. However when it clicks you will be away.

Oh and if there is lots of noise from the kite it is mostly due to not enough brake. If it happens again pull back on the bottoms (presuming you are using current set up) and you will find you can tune the noise out.

Handle pointing, I think we all do it to some extent. Best position, relaxed at your waist, Handles in an inverted V (if you drew a line up to connect the tops) Most folks sort of flatten this V out with bottoms outwards when flying inverted.

Trust me you will find your own style.

Important thing, you are enjoying yourself.

(had to edit, too many typo's I am sure this keybroad is getting worse as I get older)

Edited by Baloo