Best Rev for advanced beginner in heavy winds

jdvoracek

I need a second Rev for heavy winds. My unvented Baressi is a handful above 20 mph even with both the 2-wrap and 3-wrap spars in the leading edge, plus the gusts really accelerate it. My skill level is an advanced beginner, and I am an old guy who has delayed his hobbies long enough, so this is serious stuff for me. I'm trying to decide between a vented Barressi vs a vented 1.5 SLE. Which, or any other recommendations for gusts typcially 25 to 30 mpH? TIA, John

b-series with 150lb lines would be a good call

a pro series vented / 150 lb lines being the ultimate choice ... its all about the budget :lol: :lol:

we could always hope for a super vent sometime in the future

good luck

terry w

ISLAND QUAD

ps.start saving for a mid vent :D :D :D

The SLE spar will tend to accellerate much more quickly, which is what generates the most pull.

Heaviest I've gone is a full vent B-Series with double 4-wrap leading edge, 4 wrap verticals and 150# x 120' lines... 65mph winds.

From the sound of it John, you might try letting your top lines out by another 1" to 4" to keep the kite from taking off too quickly and generating pull, then minimize your control inputs so they're not sudden.

Anything over 25mph isn't a cake walk for anyone... But having the right gear, and especially the right settings, will help. ;)

As above, full vent, either B or Pro, Doubling up that leading edge. 150 lines. I have flown in silly winds too.

Rev 2 is real quick fun in high winds, once again with doubled up leading edge. You can get vented ones (I think).

Then if you want to get dragged around the county a bit go for a speed series. :)

I need a second Rev for heavy winds.... I'm trying to decide between a vented Barressi vs a vented 1.5 SLE. Which, or any other recommendations for gusts typcially 25 to 30 mpH? TIA, John

hi john

i've been thinking (and making) some of the same decisions as another quad/rev NOOB.

flying almost ANY sport kite in 25-30 mph winds is a lot of work.

so the question is, IF one really really wants to fly in heavy winds, what are the flying goals for that experience?

1. arm exercise

2. a little dragging around

3. precision/control skills practice

4. FAST flying

5. trick/free style?

6. group/team/pairs flying?

7. working on EDGE control?

8. being able to say... "i did that!"

and so on.

there is a LOT of appeal to sticking with 1.5s, like parts swapping and skills development.

and your posted choices are just the 2 FULL vent 1.5s.

((i like the idea of a vented sonic but have yet to try one))

it seems more stuff is BROKEN, mangled and torn in BIG winds so it might be wise to have some LESS expensive gear 4 those times...

there are some price/discounts right now on 1.5 vented/SLE packages (and you already have leading edges to swap into it).

and EXPs are value priced (i fly this kite FIRST when (as a noobie) i think the wind is gonna BEAT me up,

or i put the revs away and grab a foil (for work) or a delta and a bunch of laundry for big wind play.

or a SMALL TOUGH 2 line, fiberglass frame sport kite for speed.

then as the winds calm get out the revs again.

i am NOT anxious to break or tear a PRO series just yet.

cheers

'moe

Edited by revmoe

John

Being flying today in 20+,with gusts to 30+.I have been using my megavent and it handled the conditions like it was a gentle breeze blowing.This is the kite I have been using today.Sorry it's not a great picture,but you get the idea

tn_gallery_2705_403_106232.jpg

John

Being flying today in 20+,with gusts to 30+.I have been using my megavent and it handled the conditions like it was a gentle breeze blowing.This is the kite I have been using today.Sorry it's not a great picture,but you get the idea

I like the idea of flying a kite in high winds where there is minimal feedback so that the flier has to have achieved a specific level of sensitivity <grins>

Felix

I need a second Rev for heavy winds.[snip]

Thanks for all the replies. I went with a vented Barresi with 4-wrap frameset and 150# lines. This way I can add the 3-wrap vertical spars from my non-vented Barresi if I fly in a really serious wind. Midwest Kites (and I'm sure others) will sell just the kite and one frameset at a reduced price from the package. I really don't need a second set of handles, another 3-wrap frameset, etc.

You might consider the waffle weave custom masterpiece REV 1.5 by elliott shook for an even greater high end wind range,

it's a miracle worker when the porta-potties and speaker stands start BLOWING OVER,

in fact it was developed specifically for places like Jockey's Ridge or Bezerkley (where the wind howls all the time!)

The photo shows the control possible during tough conditions. I asked the woman to hold her hat out as my target and then went for her shoulder instead <HA!>

We picked up her entire family at breakfast and brought them to a kite festival when we were in Tobago a couple of years ago. They came out a second time and spent the day with us again later in the week.

These kites can fly in pretty low wind also with race frames, they're made of icarex too, so completely worthy of foul wet weather. Mine is generally sporting 4 wrap tubes and a set of sissy sticks.

post-92-127054963059_thumb.jpg

post-92-127054987369_thumb.jpg

You might consider the waffle weave custom masterpiece REV 1.5 by elliott shook for an even greater high end wind range, it's a miracle worker when the porta-potties and speaker stands start BLOWING OVER, in fact it was developed specifically for places like Jockey's Ridge or Bezerkley (where the wind howls all the time!)

Oh my, I just found what you are talking about. Those must be fabulous in rough winds. The 5 minute wind gust peak here was just 27.8 mph. BTW, what are sissy sticks?

John,

it's the truss system (affixed to the back of the down spars) that you can see in the photos.

It is kind of like a kickstand for a Rev or any other quad for that matter. It changes the balance of the kite (feels different) but it has several unique benefits as well. For one thing, you can frame lighter because the stresses are spread-out over a much larger surface area. Two, you can not "bow-tie" the kite except under the most extreme of commands (then in instantly snaps back to normal flight the moment the excessive command is released). The inverted glide from the top of the wind window is significantly improved because the structure of the kite is more rigid between frame and sail. Four, it's extremely unlikely you will snag a flying line on the elastic knots or washers which tension the sail, the truss lines will shed most any snags with a little flick, even when on the ground. Here's one you can only do with the Magix Sticks, . . .(#5) you can roll the kite into the lines upon landing, so it winds up flat on the ground with the leading edge facing towards the pilot, (#6) then unrolling it back to launch (looks way kewl!)

Every other trick or technique is possible without them, it's just that the sticks make things easier/lazier/sloppier. I highly recommend you test them out for yourself by direct comparison. I flew the first 7 years without them, even laughing at folks who used them,.. hence the name sissy sticks. Real revolution pilots don't need this crap! Well, I've been using them for over a decade now, it's a personal preference to be sure. I have a particular style of flight (Okay I'm a flailer!) and enough experience to alter the kites I buy or built to suit my unique style.

Search this forum and you'll find some links to construction diagrams, as well as other pilots' opinions on this subject. There's no one correct path, everyone gets there one way or another John. Try 'em out and see what you think. But trying them out is not a ten minute test. Give 'em a fair shake for a couple of flying sessions, you might become one of us also.

Oh, almost forgot the biggest benefit. The kite is sitting up waiting for you, even before you attach your flying lines, just like a kick-stand on your old two wheeler!

John, it's the truss system (affixed to the back of the down spars) that you can see in the photos. [---snip---]

Thank you again for the information. The vented Barresi should be here today or tomrrow - probably will have no wind at all now that I will be equipped -smile.gif

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you again for the information. The vented Barresi should be here today or tomrrow - probably will have no wind at all now that I will be equipped -smile.gif

Today was the first day I could fly when the winds were high and generally sustained. The vented Barresi with 85' 150# lines was just fabulous. There were a few times this 240 pound fellow got jerked a few steps forward, but even then, I felt I could reasonably control the kite. Being able to fly on windy days just opens so much more flying time! Thanks again for all the suggestions.

here's a quick practice session,

land the kite inverted and keep practicing a gradual climb (inverted) with the held kite rock steady.

Back-up to shoulder high,

s-l-o-w-l-y approach the land again, hover absolutely stationary just above the turf/beach,

repeat these motions 1/2 a dozen times.

Now double the height and try it again.

Get used to the kite flying inverted. You are also getting used to using more "DOWN" in your tuning, your grip will become lighter and looser (your feeling the kite talk to you down the lines better). The practice and tuning will slow down your kite and offer much more finesse control, eventually you'll find your own neutral position, where to kite is comfortably floating at the end of the lines neither surging forward nor twitching around.

John, I can almost remember the strong winds from my life in Chicago and Ft. Lauderdale, HA! Now I live in the land of no-wind and it's so strange to offer advice to a high-wind REVster.

enjoy!

-plm