supersonic details

kimbo

Question

Hey Rev'rs;

I am wanting to get a Supersonic over the Shockwave as suggested here. My questions are:

Do I need to go to 150# X 100ft. lines? Will be flying on 13" custom handles made from aluminum rod stock

not tubing, so they should be strong enough.

I also thought of race rods over the SLE 7/16". Will they be strong enough??

Any opinions on this set up or other suggestions are welcome.

Kimbo

Edited by kimbo

11 answers to this question

I feel more comfortable with the 150# lines, and don't bother with race rods for the Supersonic. Both the Shockwave and Supersonic need the thicker SLE leading edge to fly properly , other people have tried the skinnier rods and were unhappy with the results. I don't think Race Rods are available for the speed Series anyway. Short handles (9 in.?) are better as the Supersonic is very sensitive. Hope this is helpful:)

Edited by tonycarl

I feel more comfortable with the 150# lines, and don't bother with race rods for the Supersonic. Both the Shockwave and Supersonic need the thicker SLE leading edge to fly properly , other people have tried the skinnier rods and were unhappy with the results. I don't think Race Rods are available for the speed Series anyway. Short handles (9 in.?) are better as the Supersonic is very sensitive. Hope this is helpful:)

Thanks for the race rod input. I have a set of 9"s, just was not sure of the strength. I saw a vid and the pilot was use Blast handles to fly the supersonic on.

Must just be a preference thing.

Thanks

I've flown a Shockwave on Blast handles and that was rather... odd. The Blast handles have a straighter angle compared to standard handles. Most of the time we've flown ours on 90lb lines, but that is also 8-15mph, so consider the wind conditions. Also expect a bit more pull compared to a 1.5 but not quite near that of a Blast.

Tony's right about the SLE, you'll see when you first get it to put together. The sail is much more flat. Also the first few times of putting it together will probably have you cussing at the bungees because of how tight they are kept. And remember to run the vertical spars through the bungee loop on the bottom.

And be prepared, about the first 5 times I tried to take off, I managed to wrap the kite up in the lines inadvertently. I still like to blame that on the Blast handles, but then I did it on the regular handles a few times too.

Good to know. I remember my first try at launching my Rev. WOW what mess.

Took three hours to untangle the lines.

Hope the DVD gives me more helpful things as well.

Inverted launch or LE up launch, things like that.

Thanks to you both.

May I recommend you consider running an "anti-snag" trick-line all the way around the circumference of any of the Speed Series sail, thru the end-cap and following the parameter closely then add tons of DOWN to your handle tuning. This will help slow the kite down and make it into a flick-flak monster machine this is much tougher to snag a flying line.

I don't use sleeving either, it's just another spot where you can catch-up on a snag. I use 90 pound LPG unless is really whistling outside or if I'm flying the Blast.

Notice the orange hi-test bridle line (100#) at the edge?,

see how it connects at the center, so each wing can still move independently?

post-92-127057402582_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

May I recommend you consider running an "anti-snag" trick-line all the way around the circumference of any of the Speed Series sail, thru the end-cap and following the parameter closely then add tons of DOWN to your handle tuning. This will help slow the kite down and make it into a flick-flak monster machine this is much tougher to snag a flying line.

I don't use sleeving either, it's just another spot where you can catch-up on a snag. I use 90 pound LPG unless is really whistling outside or if I'm flying the Blast.

Notice the orange hi-test bridle line (100#) at the edge?,

see how it connects at the center, so each wing can still move independently?

That is very interesting Paul, Thanks for putting that up I'll have to try it.

I usually won't recommend going with different strength lines on the tops and bottoms of the Blast series kites (or any Revolutions for that matter). This works good for normal foil style power kites as you never have the same amount of tension on the trailing lines as you do on the leading edge lines but the Blast, 2/4 and the 4/8 are quite different than normal foils. When powered up hard you will have just as much or even more tension on the lower lines as you do on the upper lines so going with a lighter weight line on the lowers could invite a catastrophic line failure under stronger wind conditions which could result in a damaged or destroyed kite.

The Blast series kites are shipped with all four lines of equal weight, 150# minimum is supplied on the Blast and on the 2/4 with 200# recommended for power flying and 300# test or more for the 4/8. If you are never going to be flying these kites in the upper wind ranges where they can produce some pretty serious power (10 mph and up) then you will not need the stronger weight lines and 100# line will probably work just fine for you....except on that 4/8, that thing is a beast even in lighter winds! LOL

Under power it would be fairly easy to snap 100# lines on the Blast and the 2/4 and I wouldn't even bother trying them on the 4/8.

Hope this helps.

• Like 1

I usually won't recommend going with different strength lines on the tops and bottoms of the Blast series kites (or any Revolutions for that matter). This works good for normal foil style power kites as you never have the same amount of tension on the trailing lines as you do on the leading edge lines but the Blast, 2/4 and the 4/8 are quite different than normal foils. When powered up hard you will have just as much or even more tension on the lower lines as you do on the upper lines so going with a lighter weight line on the lowers could invite a catastrophic line failure under stronger wind conditions which could result in a damaged or destroyed kite.

The Blast series kites are shipped with all four lines of equal weight, 150# minimum is supplied on the Blast and on the 2/4 with 200# recommended for power flying and 300# test or more for the 4/8. If you are never going to be flying these kites in the upper wind ranges where they can produce some pretty serious power (10 mph and up) then you will not need the stronger weight lines and 100# line will probably work just fine for you....except on that 4/8, that thing is a beast even in lighter winds! LOL

Under power it would be fairly easy to snap 100# lines on the Blast and the 2/4 and I wouldn't even bother trying them on the 4/8.

Hope this helps.

Good to hear this about the lines. makes ordering them easier.

Great tip on the "anti-snag line. Any little bit helps I guess when these babies start spinning!!!