Line sets - how many?

DonaldLL

Question

Hello Everybody,

I was curious what the more experienced flyers do regarding line sets. Me? I am a 'good beginner'. Having purchased 6 kites over the last 2 yrs (4 foils 2 Revs) I have so far just mindlessly bought whatever lines came with the kite. I buy a kite and I buy the lines. I have 6 kites and 6 sets of lines. Now I know that you have the option to buy the Revs as kite only. So I started wondering... under what circumstances might I want to buy a kite only? This has really led me to ask a few questions which I think are basically all asking the same thing.

Do you have more (or fewer) line sets than kites in your bag?

Do you have various line sets that you mix and match with your kite(s) depending on wind conditions or line length desired on a particular day?

For a given kite do you use different set of lines?

Thanks in advance to all who take the time to answer the questions of a Rev neophyte like myself. The flight of the kite alone is just amazing to me but as you dig a little deeeper I find the subtle details add to the beauty of flight.

11 answers to this question

My personal kit has a lot of lines. For each of my power kites, I have its own set of lines and handles. I do not detach the line from then kite when I put them away and becomes a pain when you have to keep swapping lines around. For my Rev's, I have two line sets. One set I use for all Rev's most of the time. I do detach Rev lines every time I put a kite away as it is easier when having to pull spars out etc. I also have another line set that is a stronger line (came with the shockwave) that basicly becomes a spare line set of if it is heavy winds and I am flying the shockwave. Both these lines are 90 foot lines as I dont do any team flying (kind of the only rev flyer near me). If I was team flying I would properly get 2x120 foot line sets.

Hope this helps.

I have seven line sets and eight kites.

Do you have various line sets that you mix and match with your kite(s) depending on wind conditions or line length desired on a particular day?

Yes. Three of my line sets (5' 8' and 20') I use for indoor and street kiting. 30' lines I use in light wind conditions, when I feel a little more tricky, or when I am short on space. 80' lines I use when I don't have room for 120' lines. 120' lines, I use in team flying, competition, and whatever.

Kinda..... I never fly my Rev Indoor outdoors, so I rarely have enough room to use anything longer than 20' lines. I don't usually fly my other revs indoors, but I fly a full sail B-Series when street kiting, so I'll use anything except for the 5' on my outdoor kites. (The 5' just seems redundant sometimes)

Hi and welcome.

I soppose it also depends on what kites your carrying and what you intend going doing.Then thers the wind and weather to take into account.

I usually have a wide mix for all occassions.Usually end up useing the same 120ft x 90lb for all my flying these days.Team is what i usually do or just solo flying.

BRIAN...

I have a dozen Revs, but I only have 5 line sets. All are 90 lb breaking strain. 25 ft, 50 ft, 75 ft, 100 ft and (you guessed it) 125 ft.

I prefer flying on 100 ft lines if I have enough space. I have the 125's for iQuad style megaflys. The others get dragged out when space isn't available.

Actually, I have more line sets... I keep old "fuzzy" line sets in the bag for the times a beginner wants to borrow a knock-about Rev and spend some time learning.

I carry at least 10 set of quad handles, all with line wound on them directly. Different handles for different sets of flying conditions, each set of lines is individually tuned specific to those handles. It's lazier to tune the leaders rather than correcting the line lengths overall to match. But I'm all about immediate gratification! Seldom used lines (50# and 150#) are carried separately on winder cards. I keep old line sets for folks that are flying on monofilament with Walmart sport kites. I replace my lines as soon as there is the slightest resistance, or they get moved down the line from Competition lines, to team use, to cut-down shorter still for 3D flying, to butchered entirely for use in magic stick repairs or replacement spectra bridles, or they're simply given away to kids in need.

I think I have 55 REVs currently, some are babies, most aren't even carried around anymore! I'll stuff one REV kite bag full and use a golf cart to lug around my flying materials, lunch, tarp, a place to sit down, naturally coffee and cold beverages. I used to consider acquiring a trailer, besides the Odyssey Van (which only seats 2 people by the way), eventually though you get sick of bringing along stuff that never gets set-up anyway. It's quite enjoyable to be a JAM (just another member) for a change. I can show-up late, leave early and not be responsible for anything! That reminds me of when I first found out about "organized kiting" and nobody knew me. Those were the days, everybody was so helpful. Now little tykes single me out and embarrass me in front of friends & family!

Hmmm. I think my rev bag currently holds 10 or 11 kites, 5 sets of handles, and:

1 90#x90'

3x 90# 120'

1x 50# 120'

1x 50# 25'

1x 50# 15'

1x 50# 10'

Those last three are primarly for Rev IIs, though I've been known to fly a 1.5 on short lines Two pairs of 13" B handles always have 90#x120' and 90#x90' lines and a pair of modified Rev 1 handles will have one of the short sets.

That doesn't include the heavy 90' lines for my progressive stack or the lines for my Power Blast 2~4; those sets each stay with the individual kite(s). It also doesn't include the lines for my power foils, dualies, and single line and show kites (e.g. the 900 or so feet of 1800# spectra!)

So:

more kites than lines or handles...

Absolutely. The lines I set up depend on whether I'm flying with other people, what the winds are like, and how much room I have. Once they're set up I'm far more likely to change the kite on the end of the lines than I am to change the lines.

Absolutely. For instance I have two Rev IIs I use most often, but three line sets that are perfectly well suited to either.

This is good information... thanks to all for the responses! I am travelling a bit in the near future. I won't be home when my 2nd Rev gets delivered and I'll hold off on ordering my 3rd. Now I get to buy different line sets and try all these different combinations..... My name is Donald. I am an addict blink.gif

Hi Donald-

120' for team is key. I have them in 50#, 90# and 150# for those really windy days that you just have to fly! kid_devlish.gif

The rest is personal preference. Do you prefer to fly on shorter lines? Somewhere between 30' and 60' is average. On the other end, usually 75' to 100' is average (90# all the way around). Personally, I have the whole range from about 25' and up, 50 # and 90#. This way, I'm covered for anyone that I might fly with, in any wind condition.

Sometimes, just going shorter in length helps out when the winds are a bit lighter rather than "bagging it" for the day.

Happy flying!

This is good information... thanks to all for the responses! I am travelling a bit in the near future. I won't be home when my 2nd Rev gets delivered and I'll hold off on ordering my 3rd. Now I get to buy different line sets and try all these different combinations..... My name is Donald. I am an addict blink.gif

Hello Donald-

Fortunately, this is a healthy addiction!!!

If your travels take you to the NY/NJ area, the Jersey Crew will happily arrange some time to fly with you. Generally speaking, we're at Liberty State Park or one of the beaches every weekend. Feel free to post when you'll be around and we'll make it happen!

Take care.