CommentaryPost-byGuru4tru

Guru4tru

Off Topic

Anything and everything that doesn't fit anywhere else... Oddballs and all!

========================

I used the heading "Commentary By Guru4tru" so anyone who didn't want to "tune in" didn't have too. This is strictly my own opinion, for whatever it's worth. (You can hit the "back" button at any time you want!)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

I am a member of, & really like, the AKA (American Kitefliers Association), matter of a fact I signed up for, and paid my membership, for the next 3 years...as for the things they do and their "Kiting" magazine...they are great! When it comes to "INTENT" they can't be beat! But, they seem to function under an element of "fear". I'm not sure if this fear is generated from inside, with "one-ups-men-ship" and politics or if it is coming from the outside...trying to please the public. But it is there...so I don't give as much of my attention as I would like to them...although I support their "intent" 100%. They lack a sense of humor & real fun with what they are into!

And then their is the "Rev." site "www.revkites.com" also a great site and great people, but I find the same "fear" factor there , but in a slightly different form. There is the "one-ups-men-ship" that I find at the AKA, (but usually on a more personal level) and some politics, as usual, but they are very narrow-minded...if you don't fly a "Rev." you aren't worth talking to & I sometimes feel like the whole site is an advertisement to buy a Rev. of some sort. But mainly...They lack a sense of humor & real fun with what they are into!

This is why I'm a "Kitelife-er"...this is where I put my attention...because the "fear factor" isn't present at "Kitelife"....not from within or from outside. Their is no "one-ups-men-ship" or "politics" at play in the forums at "Kitelife". Any kite you fly, be it single line or dual line or quad...there all welcome here and any help you want on any of them will be freely given. And although present..."buying" a kite...is quite secondary!!

I really got into flying the Rev. I got this last Christmas. Since Christmas I've put in about 3 to 5 hours a day in practice, except for rain and no wind days, and I laugh and have fun with it all...laughing in the struggle. Well, that kind of really hard work "combined" with humility and "fun" does not find an outlet with the AKA forum nor with the Rev. forum, unfortunately, but it's at home with "Kitelife"!!

At "Kitelife" They have a sense of humor & real fun with what they are into!

Keep It Up!

Duane

Your views on the AKA, I immediately agreed with. I've been competing in the AKA for a few years now, and after this year, I do not plan on competing outdoors at all. Eventually, I could see myself as an AKA member simply for the magazine. What pushes me away is how regulated it is. There are so many rules, and punishments for breaking rules. For me, in competition, these things start to take some of the fun out of something that I do purely for pleasure. I'm paying to compete, so it must be because I enjoy it right? It seems to be a bit more laid back in indoor competition, and that is something I will continue to compete in.

Now, the major difference between Rev forum and Kitelife forum is that the Rev forum is owned by a kite supplier, while Kitelife is owned by John B. and his online magazine. If discussion is going on under the domain of a particular company, it would be unwise for the company to allow content that could potentially harm the company. If discussion is going on under the domain of an individual/magazine, there is not as much content that could be potentially harmful. Does that make sense? I had to sit and think for a while to come up with this, and it is hard for me to explain.....kid_frustrated.gif

Thanks for the thought provoking post Duane

~Spencer "Watty" Watson

And then their is the "Rev." site "www.revkites.com" also a great site and great people, but I find the same "fear" factor there , but in a slightly different form. There is the "one-ups-men-ship" that I find at the AKA, (but usually on a more personal level) and some politics, as usual, but they are very narrow-minded...if you don't fly a "Rev." you aren't worth talking to & I sometimes feel like the whole site is an advertisement to buy a Rev. of some sort. But mainly...They lack a sense of humor & real fun with what they are into!

This is why I'm a "Kitelife-er"...this is where I put my attention...because the "fear factor" isn't present at "Kitelife"....not from within or from outside. Their is no "one-ups-men-ship" or "politics" at play in the forums at "Kitelife". Any kite you fly, be it single line or dual line or quad...there all welcome here and any help you want on any of them will be freely given. And although present..."buying" a kite...is quite secondary!!

With all due respect, Duane. I have to disagree with you. Many folks who fly Revs also fly Dualies and SLKs and enjoy ALL kinds of kites. Spend any length of time with a group of Rev fliers and you'll be having fun immediately. I think quad flying lends itself to alot of social interactivity amoung it's fliers. It's also a very obcessive sport (you want to learn more). If a Rev flier is at a festival and not out there mixing it up with the SLKers it's simply because we're having too much fun flying together and don't want to stop. I know some people perceive that as snobbery or superiority, but it simply isn't true. Get us all out to the banquet afterward, and we're talking to everybody. Ask one of us how to fly and adjust your Rev and you'll get a million pieces of advice.

As for the forums, I know that you're already aware that the Rev forum is a forum for people who fly Revolution Kites. It's not an advertisement, it's a shared passion. The Kitelife Forum covers ALL kinds of kites and topics related to. I am also on the KF forum, but my obcession with Revs has taken me over so I find more interesting conversations here. If I find something that the entire kiting community would enjoy, then I post it over on the Kitelife Forum. Occasionally you'll find non quad kite related topics here (see Wufer's recent post for example), but we're predominantly all here to talk about things that require 4 line to fly.

As for the AKA, I'm not a member. It's not because I don't think it's a good organization, but mainly because I don't feel a need to have a membership card in order to fly. Maybe if I was a competitor, a kite builder, or a shop owner, I'd have a more vested interest in the AKA. I'm rather inline with Watty's assessment, fwiw.

Edited by Aerochic

I would be inclined to partially disagree as well Duane,

~ we have fun here

~ and all of us aren't concerned with one-upman-ship, (I accept defeat and humiliation pretty gracefully)

we CAN take broadside shots at the products or Rev staff too, if we feel the need, I've been known to do that too!

I get out of this forum exactly what i put in,

I'm seeking and sharing knowledge, discussing with folks who share a common interest with me, that I can meet up and fly with as I travel around,

I agree about the AKA,

but I'm not willing to run for office in an effort to change it either,

so I'll hold my tongue for now about that.

Engage ironic mode.

Yes but its fair enough when it comes to power kiters

Engage normal mode.

and as for those KAP guys........

Yeah but apart from the Power guys and the KAP dudes, what else have the Romans done for us ?

OK apart from the Power guys and the KAP dudes, AND Teddy Bear droppers what else have the Romans done for us ?

OK apart from the Power guys and the KAP dudes, AND Teddy Bear droppers AND Stephen Hoath's taste in MUSIC  what else have the Romans done for us ?

BTW did we just hijack this thread ?

I am not a free man I am a number, it's a very special number and I'm not telling what it is so there !!!

Irony - adj 1 to taste of Iron, 2. of or like Iron f. Gk eironeia  

LOL,What,wth the election looming over here and fast cloneing itself into a UASs style of spin doctors & vote winning ,should we or shouldnt we move the clocks forward,talk about the weather,strikes in the sky,trains grinding to a hault,postal disputes and probaly fuel supplys will be disrupted,which doesnt matter because we are all to skint to buy it,Ozones knackered,Global Warming,cancer,the third world dept,neuclear powers,leeks,spills,No fish in the seas,deforestation,banks going bump,

.Polar Ice caps melting,Iraq,Iran. Afhghanistan,floods,famine,Mans injustice to Man,Rich turning 50 on sunday.

Sounds like we are all doomed anyways,,,,,,,,then again

Thank God for

dog walkers.Power kiters,slk wallies,arrogant trick flyers,joggers,Taxi drivers,estate agents,Traffic wardens and traffic police,text speak,No Wind,To Much Wind,razor shells,cigs & no matches,lost keys,money,and glasses.line snapping,rods breaking,hole in ya masterpiece,Jonsey eating cakes,punctures,pc virus,being pc,broken pc,not being pc,what is pc an Ugly wpc.

Take it away Billy,,,,,,

'49 harry truman, doris day, red china, johnnie raySouth pacific, walter winchell, joe dimaggio'50 joe mccarthy, richard nixon, studebaker, televisionNorth korea, south korea, marilyn monroe'51 rosenbergs, h-bomb, sugar ray, panmunjomBrando, the king and I and the catcher in the rye'52 eisenhower, vaccine, england's got a new queenMarciano, liberace, santayana goodbyeChorusWe didn't start the fireIt was always burningSince the world's been turningWe didn't start the fireNo we didn't light itBut we tried to fight it'53 joseph stalin, malenkov, nasser and prokofievRockefeller, campanella, communist bloc'54 roy cohn, juan peron, toscanini, dacronDien bien phu falls, rock around the clock'55 einstein, james dean, brooklyn's got a winning teamDavy crockett, peter pan, elvis presley, disneyland'56 bardot, budapest, alabama, krushchevPrincess grace, peyton place, trouble in the suezChorus'57 little rock, pasternak, mickey mantle, kerouacSputnik, chou en-lai, bridge on the river kwai'58 lebanon, charles de gaulle, california baseballStarkweather, homicide, children of thalidomide'59 buddy holly, ben hur, space monkey, mafiaHula hoops, castro, edsel is a no-go'60 u-2, syngman rhee, payola and kennedyChubby checker, psycho, belgians in the congoChorus'61 hemingway, eichmann, stranger in a strange landDylan, berlin, bay of pigs invasion'62 lawrence of arabia, british beatlemaniaOle miss, john glenn, liston beats patterson'63 pope paul, malcolm x, british politician sexJfk, blown away, what else do I have to sayChorus'64 - '89 birth control, ho chi minh, richard nixon back againMoonshot, woodstock, watergate, punk rockBegin, reagan, palestine, terror on the airlineAyatollah's in iran, russians in afghanistanWheel of fortune, sally ride, heavy metal, suicideForeign debts, homeless vets, aids, crack, bernie goetzHypodermics on the shores, china's under martial lawRock and roller cola wars, I can't take it anymoreChorusWe didn't start the fireBut when we are goneWill it still burn on, and on, and on, and on...

We didnt start the Fire

BRIAN...B.D.G perhaps ,

Edited to welcome wayne to this worldsmile.gif Welcome to the forum wayne.your not a Roman r ya

Edited by big bri

Hi Stephen and Simon-

Good stuff!

Hi Duane-

Sorry, but I'll have to agree with the others, also. This is a site for and by Revolution Kites. While that's true, we do share info regarding KAP and whatever else we feel compelled to chat about at a given time.

I'd mostly agree with you about A.K.A. Kitelife is exactly that. It is only inclusive to all kites, generally speaking.

If you went to a forum to read up on Ford Mustangs, for example, would you expect to find info/discussions about a Porsche?

We are a very easygoing group, eager to help and share in any way possible; especially how to fly Revs.

.... oh, and we do like to laugh, trust me on that one! 11.gif

Happy flying.... whatever you choose tofly!

LOL,What,wth the election looming over here and fast cloneing itself into a UASs style of spin doctors & vote winning ,should we or shouldnt we move the clocks forward,talk about the weather,strikes in the sky,trains grinding to a hault,postal disputes and probaly fuel supplys will be disrupted,which doesnt matter because we are all to skint to buy it,Ozones knackered,Global Warming,cancer,the third world dept,neuclear powers,leeks,spills,No fish in the seas,deforestation,banks going bump,

.Polar Ice caps melting,Iraq,Iran. Afhghanistan,floods,famine,Mans injustice to Man,Rich turning 50 on sunday.

Sounds like we are all doomed anyways,,,,,,,,then again

Thank God for

dog walkers.Power kiters,slk wallies,arrogant trick flyers,joggers,Taxi drivers,estate agents,Traffic wardens and traffic police,text speak,No Wind,To Much Wind,razor shells,cigs & no matches,lost keys,money,and glasses.line snapping,rods breaking,hole in ya masterpiece,Jonsey eating cakes,punctures,pc virus,being pc,broken pc,not being pc,what is pc an Ugly wpc.

Take it away Billy,,,,,,

'49 harry truman, doris day, red china, johnnie raySouth pacific, walter winchell, joe dimaggio'50 joe mccarthy, richard nixon, studebaker, televisionNorth korea, south korea, marilyn monroe'51 rosenbergs, h-bomb, sugar ray, panmunjomBrando, the king and I and the catcher in the rye'52 eisenhower, vaccine, england's got a new queenMarciano, liberace, santayana goodbyeChorusWe didn't start the fireIt was always burningSince the world's been turningWe didn't start the fireNo we didn't light itBut we tried to fight it'53 joseph stalin, malenkov, nasser and prokofievRockefeller, campanella, communist bloc'54 roy cohn, juan peron, toscanini, dacronDien bien phu falls, rock around the clock'55 einstein, james dean, brooklyn's got a winning teamDavy crockett, peter pan, elvis presley, disneyland'56 bardot, budapest, alabama, krushchevPrincess grace, peyton place, trouble in the suezChorus'57 little rock, pasternak, mickey mantle, kerouacSputnik, chou en-lai, bridge on the river kwai'58 lebanon, charles de gaulle, california baseballStarkweather, homicide, children of thalidomide'59 buddy holly, ben hur, space monkey, mafiaHula hoops, castro, edsel is a no-go'60 u-2, syngman rhee, payola and kennedyChubby checker, psycho, belgians in the congoChorus'61 hemingway, eichmann, stranger in a strange landDylan, berlin, bay of pigs invasion'62 lawrence of arabia, british beatlemaniaOle miss, john glenn, liston beats patterson'63 pope paul, malcolm x, british politician sexJfk, blown away, what else do I have to sayChorus'64 - '89 birth control, ho chi minh, richard nixon back againMoonshot, woodstock, watergate, punk rockBegin, reagan, palestine, terror on the airlineAyatollah's in iran, russians in afghanistanWheel of fortune, sally ride, heavy metal, suicideForeign debts, homeless vets, aids, crack, bernie goetzHypodermics on the shores, china's under martial lawRock and roller cola wars, I can't take it anymoreChorusWe didn't start the fireBut when we are goneWill it still burn on, and on, and on, and on...

We didnt start the Fire

BRIAN...B.D.G perhaps ,

Edited to welcome wayne to this worldsmile.gif Welcome to the forum wayne.your not a Roman r ya

Hello Brian-

How's everything?

I'm impressed on We Didn't Start the Fire!

Was that from memory?

Happy flying, my friend.

xoxo

One thing I can say about both the Rev forum and Kitelife forum is the lack of inflamatory posting and the fair handed moderation of the threads. Forum trolls are quickly dispatched as well. This is one of the main reasons I keep coming back, besides my slight addiction problem with Revs.......... :sign_kitelife:

Hi Duane-

As an afterthought and thinking that I might have missed a punchline, I went back and reread your "commentary". Eveidently, this is your interpretation of these sights, based on what you've read. That's totally cool.

I was wondering where you fly and who you fly with. With the hours you've stated you've flown, you must have some decent skills at this point. I would love to see you go to one of your local kite festivals where there are hopefully, Rev flyers. You will get a real taste and see what it's really about. If you have the opportunity to attend one of the bigger events, Wildwood in NJ or WSIKF in WA (and many inbetween), I can promise you that you'll then understand where we're coming from.

Just to give you a bit more insight, when we're flying locally (that's the Jersey Crew at LSP), we gladly give anyone interested a lesson and try to get them flying. The little ones stand in front of us, we squat down and let them hold the handles and fly. The smiles and laughter, regardless of their age is what it's all about. That's pretty much the foundation, fundamentally, of The Revolution Philosophy.

Hope this puts things in perspective for you.

btw,

This is not a paid advertisement.

For this reply, there were no payoffs, no money has exchanged hands, nor is this a paid indorsement for Revolution.

Oh, and names may have been changed or omitted to protect the insane (ok, folks crazy about Revs) .kid_smartass.gifblue_biggrin.gif

I want to thank everyone for there comments! This may not have helped anyone else, but it has certainly helped me to better understand the uniqueness of the AKA, Rev. and Kitelife organizations. It appears that my view of things was quite shallow and “I” was suffering from a case of narrow-minded. :blushing::)

Thanks to your input I now am able to better see how the uniqueness of each group, with their differences, comes together to compliment each other, instead of my seeing their differences in a negative way.

Thanks again,

Keep It Up!

Duane

My friend who flies a foil always calls me a "rev snob". Maybe you are right.

He's brave, or stupid maybe. He even said "rev snobs" last year at my BBQ where the majority of people attending were Rev flyers.

He was a good guy. I miss him. Should have kept his mouth shut...

Bart

Hi Duane-

As an afterthought and thinking that I might have missed a punchline, I went back and reread your "commentary". Eveidently, this is your interpretation of these sights, based on what you've read. That's totally cool.

I was wondering where you fly and who you fly with. With the hours you've stated you've flown, you must have some decent skills at this point. I would love to see you go to one of your local kite festivals where there are hopefully, Rev flyers. You will get a real taste and see what it's really about. If you have the opportunity to attend one of the bigger events, Wildwood in NJ or WSIKF in WA (and many inbetween), I can promise you that you'll then understand where we're coming from.

Just to give you a bit more insight, when we're flying locally (that's the Jersey Crew at LSP), we gladly give anyone interested a lesson and try to get them flying. The little ones stand in front of us, we squat down and let them hold the handles and fly. The smiles and laughter, regardless of their age is what it's all about. That's pretty much the foundation, fundamentally, of The Revolution Philosophy.

Hope this puts things in perspective for you.

btw,

This is not a paid advertisement.

For this reply, there were no payoffs, no money has exchanged hands, nor is this a paid indorsement for Revolution.

Oh, and names may have been changed or omitted to protect the insane (ok, folks crazy about Revs) .kid_smartass.gifblue_biggrin.gif

Lol,from memory and no spelling mistakes,,,,I Luv Ya Babe.Its a Google cut and paste thingy ma bob.I do like Billy though.Song i though worked with the Topic[sort of]

We are all kewl Thanks Laura.A nice breezy,but sunny morning today,summers around the corner.Looking forward to a good season.Some luck with work would be good,but thers worse off than us.

How are you and all the NJ Crew.Living it large i bet.Hope your all well.

I have a favour to ask Laura.I know ther will be a long que Sunday at L.S.P,But please,Pucker up,wait inline and give Rich a couple of long,juicy, slow ones from me and Deb and have one yourself on mewub.gif.If Sammy insists and feels left out.Let him have one to please,from me though,hes my fav Rabbi...........EEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRR.

Have a great weekend all

BRIAN...

Duane,,,,Try the B.D.G. mate.Again welcome and enjoy

Lol,from memory and no spelling mistakes,,,,I Luv Ya Babe.Its a Google cut and paste thingy ma bob.I do like Billy though.Song i though worked with the Topic[sort of]

We are all kewl Thanks Laura.A nice breezy,but sunny morning today,summers around the corner.Looking forward to a good season.Some luck with work would be good,but thers worse off than us.

How are you and all the NJ Crew.Living it large i bet.Hope your all well.

I have a favour to ask Laura.I know ther will be a long que Sunday at L.S.P,But please,Pucker up,wait inline and give Rich a couple of long,juicy, slow ones from me and Deb and have one yourself on mewub.gif.If Sammy insists and feels left out.Let him have one to please,from me though,hes my fav Rabbi...........EEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRR.

Have a great weekend all

BRIAN...

Duane,,,,Try the B.D.G. mate.Again welcome and enjoy

Hello Sweetie-

BJ is awesome. He always puts on a great show. I can sort of see where you were going with it.blink.gifmatrix.gifhuh.gif

There Jersey Crew are doing well, thanks... we miss you and Deb and look forward to your next visit!

Your wish is my command.... I'll take care of it; exactly as requested. Boy, do you know Sammy well. I know he'll feel left out, so we'll let him have one.... for "god luck" (good luck) and all... (that truly was a typo, at first; but it was appropriate... lol)

Oh, yes, he is a pretty cool Rabbi!

You have a great weekend and enjoy the spring thaw.

Please say hello to Deb.

xoxo to you both.