Making that decision on the 2nd kite

DonaldLL

Question

Hello All,

I have been away for a while but that's another story. I gained alot of insight last year when I bought my first rev a standard 1.5 SLE. I got alot of good advice and support from the forum... thank you for that! I have not put in as much time as I had hoped but I have progressed. Not many crashes anymore maybe here or there but even then a 'crash' now is a controlled loss of control. I don't think I have much finesse when I fly. Nevertheless to an inexperienced passerby, the kite draws attention and I can do enough to 'fake it'; but by the true Rev flyer standards, I'd say I am an experienced beginner (is there such a thing?)

Well as I had mentioned some time ago, my girlfriend likes kiting and has some quadline experience on the foils but this weekend we went out to fly both days and she took over my Rev on both days. So no complaints here... I'll just get another! We live 16 miles inland from South Beach a.k.a. Miami. I usually fly at the park near my house so I get lumpy winds. Low to no wind during the summer and last weekend steady 12 to 15mph with some 20mph bursts. My SLE was really a blast (no pun intended). The usual 'good day' would be 5 to 8mph.

So I read and read and re-read the forum and of course like someone said, with 3 kite flyers you'll get 4 opinions. I found myself caught in an Analysis-Paralysis mode. Standard - mid vent - full vented - so many choices; conflicting opinions; wraps - rods - LEs etc etc...... How do I get out of this cycle? So I asked myself, "can I make a bad decision?" I think not. Especially if I am willing and able to add continue to add to the collection. With that in mind I just pulled the trigger.

Today I ordered a mid vented 1.5 B Series and I also purchased a Race frame as well. I just came to the conclusion that with the 2 frame sets that come with the B and the Race frame added along with my 1.5 SLE I should have enough options to keep me busy... for now.

I'll post some follow up later on!

9 answers to this question

You'll be very happy. I love having the std, mid and full vent available. Covers everything! Well, almost everything. Have the Zen now for the really light days. You just can't stop with one. I've stopped four additional times now....

Bart

Hey there Donald,

WELCOME further down the road!!!!!

Where abouts in Dade county do you live?

I've lived all over there myself. Live in NJ now but still get down there quite often. Prolly within the next month.

Would love to get together with you and fly.

MIAMI! I grew up down there, or should I say I spent my first 30 years there. I'm glad to see another Florida Rev'er. I used to get down all the time but Mom has moved here. Next time I get down I will PM you. I'll bet flying at South Beach would be fun!

We live in Doral....

Donald,

You might think about looking up Guru4tru on the Kitelife forum. He lives about an hour and a half up the coast from you. Some one to fly with ... not that far apart in skill level ... an opportunity to try different Revs ... etc ...

Cheers,

Tom

We live in Doral.... so that's west Miami. Let me know the next time you're in the neighborhood and you can show me a few pointers. I know I could use them!

Donald

Looks like I'll be town on April 18th & 19th, and possibly part of the 20th.

And as it also turns out, morbid as it sounds, I'll be visiting Lakeside Cemetery which happens to be in your neck of the woods.

Will let you know for sure when my plans get more firmed up.

@ Denny.......Flying on South Beach is Awesome! Been there done that!

Perhaps you might consider making the trip south from your place while I'm down there?

Hello All,

I have been away for a while but that's another story. I gained alot of insight last year when I bought my first rev a standard 1.5 SLE. I got alot of good advice and support from the forum... thank you for that! I have not put in as much time as I had hoped but I have progressed. Not many crashes anymore maybe here or there but even then a 'crash' now is a controlled loss of control. I don't think I have much finesse when I fly. Nevertheless to an inexperienced passerby, the kite draws attention and I can do enough to 'fake it'; but by the true Rev flyer standards, I'd say I am an experienced beginner (is there such a thing?)

Well as I had mentioned some time ago, my girlfriend likes kiting and has some quadline experience on the foils but this weekend we went out to fly both days and she took over my Rev on both days. So no complaints here... I'll just get another! We live 16 miles inland from South Beach a.k.a. Miami. I usually fly at the park near my house so I get lumpy winds. Low to no wind during the summer and last weekend steady 12 to 15mph with some 20mph bursts. My SLE was really a blast (no pun intended). The usual 'good day' would be 5 to 8mph.

So I read and read and re-read the forum and of course like someone said, with 3 kite flyers you'll get 4 opinions. I found myself caught in an Analysis-Paralysis mode. Standard - mid vent - full vented - so many choices; conflicting opinions; wraps - rods - LEs etc etc...... How do I get out of this cycle? So I asked myself, "can I make a bad decision?" I think not. Especially if I am willing and able to add continue to add to the collection. With that in mind I just pulled the trigger.

Today I ordered a mid vented 1.5 B Series and I also purchased a Race frame as well. I just came to the conclusion that with the 2 frame sets that come with the B and the Race frame added along with my 1.5 SLE I should have enough options to keep me busy... for now.

I'll post some follow up later on!

Hehehe what a problem to have!! Had an older Rev I that handled a big piece of wind range and my son has an older Rev II that works on friskier winds. But what to do if the wind was up and we both wanted to fly? Just bought a full vent 1.5 and hope there is enough wind at Lincoln City's summer festival to make it fly! Luckily it also came with an UL LE set and I'm thinking of getting a set of UL or SUL verticals to compliment them. Just don't have the scratch to get full sets of 3, 2, and race rods and mix and match them to the wind conditions!! Sounds like you have all winds covered by the combo of gear you got!! Like to hear how things have turned out!! Keep flying!