Skagit Valley Tulip Festival (memory of Erv Crosby)

KiteLife

Just passing on a note from Steve Tisch regarding this upcoming event, mid-April...

Friend and kite maker/ kite advocate Erv Crosby will be honored on the weekend of April 17th & 18th at Tulip Town in Mt. Vernon, Wa. Tulip Town owners are providing a large grass field to fly kites amongst the tulips , the very fields that I-Quad graced a few yrs ago in a spectacular display(kitelife issues 54 & 60). For those wishing to drive into the kite area, you need to be in by 9am before opening. More info is available at the AKA & WKA website calendars. I hope to see a huge turnout & a great display. S. Tisch

Yanno, I may just pop down for that. I loved the times we went there before, it was a fantastic time.

Hey Monks!! I think that Island Quad is going to show up there so you can fly with us again if you're not busy counting tulips !!:kid_smartass::kid_smartass:

Cheers

Mario

• 3 weeks later...

I actually have the last sport kite that Erv ever sewed (and you can tell - bless his heart)... A "NOX", co-designed with Reggie Yaplee.

RIP Erv, thanks for the memories, I'll try and loft this kite for you April 17-18, wherever I am.

LOL!! Nice.

No I purchased a 1.5 and one of the spars on the end has duct tape on it. I knew about it and all but if I ever want to sell the thing it will be a bit difficult to do.

I'm sure you have boatloads of tomatoes. LOL. Maybe when you're done harvesting(tomatoes that is) you can spare a spar?

Edited by PNW Flyer

No tomatoes here, we use ours for corporal punishment with new team members. :)

Good to see the humor never changes:lol:

Ya might wanna send your spars over to JM though......sound like he needs them more than I would.:matrix::P

Edited by PNW Flyer

I can't wait to fly over the Tulips!!! :kid_smartass:

Island Quad's Terry, Willow, Brad and I will be all the weekend!!!! Steve De Roy (Mutant) and Monks will be sharing some flying with us too :kid_devlish::kid_devlish: Anybody else available for a mega fly??

Cheers

Mario

i'll be up on Sunday.

Bazzer

• Like 1

My wife and I plan on comming up Sunday. Where EXACTLY is the flying field? This festival seems spread out all over the valley from the official website, and no mention of a kite flying field. Lat/long coords would be greatly appreciated.

http://www.tulipfestival.org/index.php

edit to add festival link

Edited by RS67Man

What a great weekend. A few showers and great winds on Saturday. Sun and freaky winds on Sunday. Incredible fields of tulips. Not enough sun screen. Great times with good friends. Great dinner at Bobs. KITE SEASON HAS BEGUN! It doesn't get much better than this.