Toss and Catch

Jonesey

Hiya Jonesy

I hope you are both having fun

I must say I dont know how you can put up with that sort of environment for a month it must be terrible

Back Home and just off to top up my tan at Stokes Bay with some other Hampshire Hoverers ... might take a jacket ....

longer line lengths look better, but the technique is more critical and you need low wind for it to be all slow & graceful. I practice on 65 or 70 feet and use fifty to show off.

In low wind you should be able to have your feet stationary and the kite return directly back to your grasp. I like a big stride forward at the same time as the release though, so there's enough momentum to get it all the way out to the end. If the lines are really long you need to run in the opposite direction to take out all the slack. A simple throw isn't sufficient. (85 or more feet in length?, that is for the track team try-outs, only sprinters need apply)

You should also notice Jonesey's slight rotation of the leading edge, so it winds up inverted, during the throw. That's a critical aspect. Also is insuring there are no tangles or snags BEFORE you let it fly!

Since both handles are already in one hand, you can prepare for an inverted paste (as the final resting point of the toss) by pushing your two handles thumbs-forward with that one well-placed digit. You do this as you do the throw, so everything is in place, like a pistol being cocked and ready to discharge. You want the kite to float out to the ends of the lines and then paste inverted, right above the ground. When you feel cocky do it diagonally with a friend by "crossing the streams" (a Ghostbusters movie line, ... as in Don't!) The lower flier can't really move until the first guy gets off of the lines. Really got it going on? Then throw between your partner's lines so the kites are nested!

I've heard whispered legend about Lee Sedgwick inventing this technique and doing the catches back into an open back-end of a VAN during a rain shower! Does that inspire you? Well me too!

I had a nice flying day yesterday... tried the toss and catch on some short lines I made up with SLK line.... the wind was choppy and fast (for around here) I got the kite to come down :D and I got it to go out and paste nicely one time fall on the ground and be tangled the rest... :( not bad for the first time on shot (30 or 40 foot) lines I think in steadier winds and a little more practice I can get the kite to come down near me... LOL

Edited by BillLamm

work on WHERE you make the tug,

as well as how far to pull and

how sharply the action needs to be delivered.

I like to pull as the kite is reaching 2/3's to 3/4's of the wind-window in height, and as it is moving forward (up).

I use long throw handles, which allows for a longer top leader (just short of the bottom attachment point is the correct length), which means I can reach out there further without cutting myself on the raw spectra. I don't use sleeving, that's a tangle point to be avoided. My leaders are 100# high test bridle line with single overhand knots for adjustments (small and less likely to catch with all the slack lines flying around)

To practice

Begin by making dramatic pulls

like you were dislodging a truck from the snow bank, then work on lessing the action until you have just enough to make it work.

The kite should arc towards the pilot, not be yanked straight off a table top. It has to continue up, then gradually arches over and finally falls/(glides down) to the pilot's outstretched hand smoothly.

If you can get the kite to go all the way past you overhead and beyond, and catch it now that you're facing into the wind, that's how much of a pull is desired for your practice.

Next time you do this "level of pull" have the kite not perfectly square to you, so the flight path is angled towards the high corner of the wind window as it is moving forward (up). Now the kite should grab the wind as it slows down and crests the top of the motion. The wind will turn it back down wind ever so slowly and the glide should carry it all the way back down to an inverted paste as your one-handed finish (this horseshoe shaped catch/throw thingy is easier with the speed series of kites)

Now that you have all the components you just need to lessen everything so it's magical looking, just enough to pull it all together. This is where your kite will demonstrate it's gliding potential, critical to acquiring the low wind skill tolerance, dare I say acceptance? we all crave so deeply.

-plm

• Like 1