Wind Conditions

CraigBrock

I am new to revs but am starting to make progress. My question today is what is the best wind to learn in? I have noticed that the lighter winds to me at least, require more input from flyer. The med winds are a little easyer to control. What is everyone else opion of this.

a steady 8-12mph is good - with an emphasis on "steady". I 'm guessing that you have an 85'-90' lineset. When the winds let up, yes, you will have to move backwards to get more pressure on the sail to keep it flying.

I fly in the "not so steady" Ohio choppy winds. However, I think these winds gave me a better feel for slight changes in the air flow where I'm able to react quicker to them. And when you fly on a beach without any obstructions you skills will feel a lot more solid. At least that was my impression. ( disclaimer: your results may vary) wink.gif

Dayton David

A lot depends on which kite you start with. After we had a dismal summer a year and some ago, I started with an SUL [ultra light], and found 5mph a joy to fly in.

8-12 is a good medium range for all the regular kites, notably the EXP or 1.5 [with or without SLE] as the most common. In fact, we're ecstatic with that kind of wind.

Spent the morning with a great wind 8-12 mph had a ball then about 1pm wind just stoped (I mean the kite fell out of the sky) Note:I fly a 1.5 SUL with 90 foot line set . After that is was on and off winds of 5 mph down to 0. So I flew to top of window and sank back to ground for about 30 min before just giving up. I thought the SUL like this kind of light wind condition? Got out my old standby a parafoil snapshot 2.5 which for some reason loves the light wind. Flew that for about a hour before the cell phone started to ring reminding me I have a family at home who would like to see me. HAHA All in all a great day I would like to thank everyone on the forum for there words of wisdom it helps to have a sounding board to bounce ideals off. Flying in a small town in the Midwest I dont have anyone around here that even fly single line kites they look at these strange things we fly and laugh always saying boy we didnt have kites like that when I was a kid. Then if they ask how much one of these cost I get the strangest looks :) But once you fly where you are in control(or think your in control) you are hooked. So to all the insane people here Thanks for your help and keep the forum going.