Kitelife Rev Tutorials

KiteLife

Any chance you can convey some indoor skills at an outdoor venue with a 1.5 .... kinda street style ... or is it too vastly different?

I'm assuming you practice your indoor skills somewhere, and it sounds like the majority of that practice comes outdoors - so is there anything you can put on video for those who already fly outdoors and want to do some indoors or street style?

(Just shooting in the dark here because I don't know what I don't know ... so I may as well ask)

No way to duplicate indoor skills outdoors, vastly different indeed.

I never practice indoors, only fly at the events as space is available.

Remember, I've been flying both dual and quad kites for 20 years, it only takes me 15-20 minutes to shake off the rust... Even for outdoor stuff, I rarely practice, I still generally fly only at events... Tutorial filming and dock flying is fairly infrequent, and generally my only times out for local flying. ;)

Indoor and street style are different animals entirely... Street is constant shifting between kite/glider modes, always feeling shifts in wind, being aware of your environment and using the kite's weight and inertia to your advantage... Indoor is sustained tension without any wind window to hold you back, continual tension (hard or soft), 360s and up/overs.

Hey John,

I've downloaded all the tutorials, and as far as I'm concerned, they are priceless. As they say, a picture is worth, well, a lot. Thanks again, for all you do, and for your continued dedication, to the hobby/sport, that we all love...............thank you, thank you, thank you laugh.giftongue.gifsmile.gif

Thanks Donald, both for the kudos and for your support, I'm very glad the tutorials have been of use... My thanks to Nick and everyone else as well. :)

4-5 more on their way tonight or tomorrow... Flic flac, side slide, sail loading, body/posture/grip, maybe more!

I'd also like to hear back from y'all in week or two, to hear how much you've been able to implement the skills, based of the tutorials provided... If you're willing.

Hi John,

I have all the tutorials downloaded. Very professional content wise. Thanks for your effort smile.gif

Maybe a few suggestions here and there from me you can think about. Not sure if its in the direction of your plans but maybe you can put it in your future todo list?

• Technique in controlling the kite in reverse. Reverse pivots, reverse arcs etc. This is one area I'm slowly starting to get into now. Some advanced reverse flight tips would be nice.
  • Calculating or figuring out line twists/wraps in a team flying setting? Not sure if there are any secret formulas to that or its just simplying trying it and figuring out..(Like for example, I wanna do a Dosey Do immediately after a Blender, or we just did a compound benefit, can I do this move without messing up my twists etc)
  • Street Flying tips and techniques, per what you have alluded to earlier. How to react when wind drops,fluctuates or gusts and make your Rev flying look good. Maybe incorporating the effects of different line lengths in how they affect the ease and control in this situation?
  • Some extras maybe towards the end after you have exhausted all your planned ideas..just for entertainment and not really technique focused per se smile.gif - How to fly in the water, a bicycle rotation in the water, dog staking, one handed flying, how to walk the kite etc..you know, the other really fun and not so "serious" aspects of flying a Rev

Darryl

Edited by lasapcheong

Maybe a few suggestions here and there from me you can think about. Not sure if its in the direction of your plans but maybe you can put it in your future todo list?

Suggestions are always welcome. :)

• Technique in controlling the kite in reverse. Reverse pivots, reverse arcs etc. This is one area I'm slowly starting to get into now. Some advanced reverse flight tips would be nice.

Aye, just finished the basic reverse... Advanced reverse is already on the list for some point in the future.

• Calculating or figuring out line twists/wraps in a team flying setting? Not sure if there are any secret formulas to that or its just simplying trying it and figuring out..(Like for example, I wanna do a Dosey Do immediately after a Blender, or we just did a compound benefit, can I do this move without messing up my twists etc)

Whew, this is a tough one... So many different methods between teams, it's hard to apply a "catch all" formula to such things...

Most teams just amass a variety of maneuvers and figure out their own combinations and unwraps.

• Street Flying tips and techniques, per what you have alluded to earlier. How to react when wind drops,fluctuates or gusts and make your Rev flying look good. Maybe incorporating the effects of different line lengths in how they affect the ease and control in this situation?

I'll be doing a combined video on line lengths and wind window, not so much instructional, but definitely informational.

For street flying, it's a bit more abstract... Best I'll be able to do is give a running commentary of what I'm thinking about or working on as I do it.

Another advanced video for the future.

• Some extras maybe towards the end after you have exhausted all your planned ideas..just for entertainment and not really technique focused per se smile.gif - How to fly in the water, a bicycle rotation in the water, dog staking, one handed flying, how to walk the kite etc..you know, the other really fun and not so "serious" aspects of flying a Rev

All of those items are already on the to do list as well. :D

Thanks for the feedback, keep it coming!

Alright, we've just added FIVE more tutorials to the Kitelife downloads...

If you'd like to be notified any time a new one is added, log into the Kitelife forum and the click this link:

http://kitelife.com/forum/index.php?app=core&module=usercp&tab=forums&area=watch&do=watch&watch=forum&fid=116

New tutorials:

Body, Posture and Grip - http://kitelife.com/forum/index.php?app=downloads&showfile=700

Flic Flac - http://kitelife.com/forum/index.php?app=downloads&showfile=701

Reverse Flight - http://kitelife.com/forum/index.php?app=downloads&showfile=694

Sail Loading - http://kitelife.com/forum/index.php?app=downloads&showfile=702

Side Slide - http://kitelife.com/forum/index.php?app=downloads&showfile=697

Enjoy!

New downloads started .... so much for sleeping tonight blue_cool.gif

WRT the indoor/street stuff - how about covering things you can do with your 1.5 and short lines outside when there is not enough wind to fly it normally ... not street/indoors per say, more concepts to work with.

Again, I don't know what I don't know, so I'm happy to look like an idiot asking a dumb question. Ever since I saw Watty's post asking how to fly an indoor on this forum I'm happy to ask anything wink.gif

If you have a local facility that you could rent for an afternoon to shoot indoor tutorial stuff I would be happy to contribute to the rental.

New downloads started .... so much for sleeping tonight blue_cool.gif

ROFL! My pleasure. :)

WRT the indoor/street stuff - how about covering things you can do with your 1.5 and short lines outside when there is not enough wind to fly it normally ... not street/indoors per say, more concepts to work with.

Well, the way I see it, short line flying is a combination of various skills, it's not a skill unto itself... Instruction on line tension and positive drive (sail loading), light wind flying, 360s (on the to do list), up and over (on the list), inertia and momentum (on the list), deep slides and floats (on the list), etc, etc, all come together to make street or short line flying.

Once I've laid down the individual skills in tutorials, THEN it's likely that I'll do some connective instruction, showing how I transition between those skills.

Right now, asking for an encompassing video is very much cart before the horse. ;)

Until then, just keep at it, experiment, share your experiences on the forum.

Again, I don't know what I don't know, so I'm happy to look like an idiot asking a dumb question. Ever since I saw Watty's post asking how to fly an indoor on this forum I'm happy to ask anything wink.gif

GOSPEL, absolute gospel... No such thing as a dumb question, we all start somewhere.

If you have a local facility that you could rent for an afternoon to shoot indoor tutorial stuff I would be happy to contribute to the rental.

Hmmmm... Very intriguing idea, hadn't considered that possibility.

haha, I laugh at myself when I see that post XD

John,

Love the tutorials, will be subscribing to Kitelife to get the rest.

One question, I have tried flic flacks myself before seeing your tutorial or that done by Watty (

) with low success rate. Viewing these 2 videos by 2 experts, I notice that Watty does one yank on the brake lines, while you do 2 yanks on the brakes. I am not sure, but I am guessing this may be related to a difference of degree of rotation. John, do you use the second pull because you are flipping further than Watty and need to reverse the action to get it back? On the videos, the kite action does not look that different, maybe because it happens so fast.

Thanks for the help. I hope to try this at MIKE later this month.

Thanks Wayne. :)

It's a matter of leverage... My method is keyed to flip the bottom wing tips straight up, so I'm able to pop them again (same lines) easily in a wide wind range... Flipping further is what enables this.

If I pop the bottom lines and then the top lines, the recovery rate lessens and the flip is less pronounced... It also requires steadier wind to be successful.

Also, the bottom lines can be leveraged a lot more than the top lines, ergonomically, the way our arms and wrists function... Think drums. ;)

The two methods are very different when it comes down to mechanics.

All imho, of course.

See you at MIKE, we can compare notes. ;)

@JB

Totally understood about street requiring various elements and wanting to put the skills down before doing connective tutorials. Once you've got a good base down I really would like to see connective stuff. Regarding an indoor venue, there's at least one other person who expressed interest, so it's worth investigating. I have no doubt you'll get enough contributions to cover the cost of hiring a venue - the tutorials are priceless to those of us with no access to highly skilled pilots.

@Watty

I'm kinda hoping that one day I can fly at a level good enough to come back and laugh at myself as well.

Collecting my Race Rods this weekend, so lets hope Murphy does'n't give me hurricanes.

• 1 month later...

Hey John,

I know this sounds ridiculously simple, but could we have a video tutorial on flying basic figure 8s / infinity curves? Furthermore could the 180 movement be a little better described??? It would be awful helpful when others are taking their first steps into flying with others as a group. :?

I've put it on the list Carolyn, good idea, will do. ;)

Just waiting for a little free time and good weather, been pretty busy with events, website work, etc...

Nearly 20 more tutorials on the to do list now, in addition to the 16 already finished and online.

Nearly 20 more tutorials on the to do list now, in addition to the 16 already finished and online.

Plus the possibility of hiring a venue to do some indoor stuff to get that nagging South African off your back wink.gif