Line Lengths

syntaks

Question

I am sure this topic has come up before, but I couldn't really find it when I did a search...

When we fly, I tend to like longer line sets, using the amount of wind to determine how long can be used for whichever kite I'm flying that day. My better 3/4 (The wifie-poo-thingy) views it as "The shorter the better" simply because she is better at catch-n-throws and such than I am.

I just made a set of 125' 90# lines and used them for the first time yesterday for all of a minute before the 15 mph wind we had at the time literally died in about a second. (Something that happens constantly here in Anch-morpork, Alaska. These are the longest lines I've used yet. It didn't seem to make much difference (90' vs 125') in the amount of time I got to use them, but, again, I basically got off the ground and got to do a few turns before the wind died, so I can't comment too much there.

My most common lengths are 90'/90# and 75'/50# ... I base it completely on where I'm flying, what the wind is like and which kite I'm using, but mostly on what my pain level is that day and how much work I want to do to get in the air. (I'm disabled with nerve damage, so that's a big issue for it.) My wife prefers 15-50' lines for flying and 65' for skiing/sledding.

What length of lines do people tend to prefer. What's the longest/shortest lines you have used and what flying characteristics did you notice were different from other lengths you have used for which kites?

--TaK

22 answers to this question

I'm no expert (has been/drip under pressure) but in my readings on the subjects I have come to these conclusions... 120' lines are what the teams and group flies want... (there is some talk of longer lines for the big 100+ kite dance in the fall) 75' to 85' seem to be the standard starting length for most fliers... 30' to 50' are standard for low wind days and any thing less than 30' is common for indoor fliers...

That's what I know.... (I think)

Edited by BillLamm

I'm no expert (has been/drip under pressure) but in my readings on the subjects I have come to these conclusions... 120' lines are what the teams and group flies want... (there is some talk of longer lines for the big 100+ kite dance in the fall) 75' to 85' seem to be the standard starting length for most fliers... 30' to 50' are standard for low wind days and any thing less than 30' is common for indoor fliers...

That's what I know.... (I think)

You never said what YOU use!:sign_kitelife:

My standard lengths are 30' (for street/dock), 60', 90' and 120'.

30' increments, all the way out to my longest.

iQuad uses all of the last three for team flying as well. ;)

What's "team flying"? :P

Hey John ... When ya gunna come up here to Alaska to show off/teach us how to use these things??? We do get above freezing in the Spring...kinda sorta...well, not always, but...

I am sure this topic has come up before, but I couldn't really find it when I did a search...

When we fly, I tend to like longer line sets, using the amount of wind to determine how long can be used for whichever kite I'm flying that day. My better 3/4 (The wifie-poo-thingy) views it as "The shorter the better" simply because she is better at catch-n-throws and such than I am.

I just made a set of 125' 90# lines and used them for the first time yesterday for all of a minute before the 15 mph wind we had at the time literally died in about a second. (Something that happens constantly here in Anch-morpork, Alaska. These are the longest lines I've used yet. It didn't seem to make much difference (90' vs 125') in the amount of time I got to use them, but, again, I basically got off the ground and got to do a few turns before the wind died, so I can't comment too much there.

My most common lengths are 90'/90# and 75'/50# ... I base it completely on where I'm flying, what the wind is like and which kite I'm using, but mostly on what my pain level is that day and how much work I want to do to get in the air. (I'm disabled with nerve damage, so that's a big issue for it.) My wife prefers 15-50' lines for flying and 65' for skiing/sledding.

What length of lines do people tend to prefer. What's the longest/shortest lines you have used and what flying characteristics did you notice were different from other lengths you have used for which kites?

--TaK

My line sets include 5', 8', 20', 30', 80', and 120'. The 5-20' lines I use for indoors, and occasionally street kiting, depending on the width of the street kid_devlish.gif.

The 30' lines I use when the wind is real light and I'm in an area where I have room for them.

The 80' lines I use when the wind is maybe around 1-5mph. It's not too long where I have to work really hard, and it gives me some room to play.

The 120' lines I use whenever the wind is above 3mph, or if I'm flying with some friends. Give loads of room to practice, and theres enough room to fit another 1-99 people kid_smartass.gif

Lynn and I carry 75' for smaller spaces and Kite Party (75' required at Kite Party), 100' for general flying together and with other fliers up to four or five, and 120' for demos and flying with larger groups.

When space is no problem we sometimes use the 120s with just the two of us. More sky.

Hi TaK-

As has been noted already, 120' is what we all generally use for mega flies, team flying, and demos. There are a few times when conditions don't allow for this, but that's not often; at least that's what I've found. The Jersey Crew almost always fly on 120's. Before the Zen came along, if the winds were really light, we would drop to either lighter lines (120' x 50#) or work our way down with the shorter lengths of 90#. With the Zen, we start out with our regular lines (120' x 90#) but, if it's real light, we'll drop the length and go to 50#.

Just to let you know, the longer your lines are, the more time you have for your inputs (relatively speaking).

Whatever you choose to fly on, enjoy!

Hi TaK-

As has been noted already, 120' is what we all generally use for mega flies, team flying, and demos. There are a few times when conditions don't allow for this, but that's not often; at least that's what I've found. The Jersey Crew almost always fly on 120's. Before the Zen came along, if the winds were really light, we would drop to either lighter lines (120' x 50#) or work our way down with the shorter lengths of 90#. With the Zen, we start out with our regular lines (120' x 90#) but, if it's real light, we'll drop the length and go to 50#.

Just to let you know, the longer your lines are, the more time you have for your inputs (relatively speaking).

Whatever you choose to fly on, enjoy!

I have been flying for about 18 months or so. Our first kites were my 1.5 SLE and my better 3/4's 1.5 SUL. Mine came with 90'/90# and hers came with 75'/50# lines. We got pretty used to those and flying where most of the club members like to fly, ultimately ended up with continually shorter lines due to dogs. (Yes, there's a leash law, but for some reason people seem to think it doesn't apply to them. It's been my crusade for the last year with the new mayor here...) We eventually learned to make our own, so right now we have 15, 20, 25, 35, 50, 65, 75, 80, 90, and now my new 125 foot linesets. We now have 1 mylar 1.5, 2 1.5 SULs, (hers is bridleless) a 1.5 vented, an EXP, my black & gold baressi, my B-Pro, (photos in our gallery here) and, most recently, her Blast 2/4 and my shockwave. We want at least 1 of each type to show off to the new folks in AlasKiters, of which I'm stuck as president. I think that with the amount that I fly (I'm disabled and so sit out all day (literally) every day showing off) I think we have been responsible for the sale of maybe 50 revs up here. It's a lot of fun showing the basics to the new fliers, but that's about as far as I can go, as I've yet to figure out most of the real tricks. We don't really have a "team" even though we have a "team name" (FLYR - Frozen Lines Year Round) I do some stuff to music and ended up being a feature at the state fair, oddly enough.

My wifie-poo-thingy likes playing with the street kiting stuff and being pulled around on her skis. I am simply a ham and like to make people see me, which is why I wanted the longer lines...all the more easily for people to see me dear. (My wife is a show off also, but won't admit it...)

I'll be going down to the "lower 48" (probably colorado) for medical reasons for a couple weeks. So I'm hoping to run into someone there who can show me a trick or two. (I want an axle and a couple other slackline stunts to show off when I get back.)

Hopefully I'll figure out a way to bring all my kites along...:plane:

--TaK

What's "team flying"? :P

Hey John ... When ya gunna come up here to Alaska to show off/teach us how to use these things??? We do get above freezing in the Spring...kinda sorta...well, not always, but...

But I wanna be able to say "It's freezing out here!!" lol

I'm typically on 60, 90, 120 as they're our team standard. At home I'm probably on 90's most of the time. At event's it's always 120

WOW talk about some variety in your bag! :D

Love the team name too! ;)

Edited by JD

Theresa (The Kite Shoppe) made a set of 90# x 200' lines for me... they're Awesome! ...and my Favorites!

Handling very similar to any of the shorter lines, but with a huge window, and the fun of watching on-lookers trying to figure out where it's all coming from!

I just ordered a set of 225'... The Sky's the Limit, I guess! wink.gif

Theresa (The Kite Shoppe) made a set of 90# x 200' lines for me... they're Awesome! ...and my Favorites!

Handling very similar to any of the shorter lines, but with a huge window, and the fun of watching on-lookers trying to figure out where it's all coming from!

225' !! Holy crap, I get tired just thinking about setting up those lines!! Man, don't tangle up them!! Still, if you got the flying zone all to yourself, humm!!

Then you larks-head your 200' and 225' sets together :blink:

I can't even begin to imagine stringing out 200' lines... heck we're happy if theres that much clear area to work in!

The topic made me think of something that Tak and I go back and forth on all the time... are there some kites you guys won't fly on particular line lengths? He plays with the indoor on 75's outside when theres no wind, I fly the shockwave on 65' lines, and we both think each other is crazy. But the more I think about what it would look like to have 200' lines, I keep thinking a Blast would be very fitting on the end of them!

I can't even begin to imagine stringing out 200' lines... heck we're happy if theres that much clear area to work in!

The topic made me think of something that Tak and I go back and forth on all the time... are there some kites you guys won't fly on particular line lengths? He plays with the indoor on 75's outside when theres no wind, I fly the shockwave on 65' lines, and we both think each other is crazy. But the more I think about what it would look like to have 200' lines, I keep thinking a Blast would be very fitting on the end of them!

I don't think I would ever fly my rev indoor on anything longer than 30, maybe 60' if it is a really big indoor venue. My rev indoor takes enough abuse from me as it is without me taking it outdoors XD

I also don't think I would ever fly a blast 4-8 on my 5 or 8 foot line sets...... I just don't think it would really fit.

Very fortunate to have a screaming-large kiting field at our (Milwaukee WI) Lakefront, also the site of Gifts of Wings Kite Store. The winds, when off the lake, are clean and love my 200' lines... when the winds are eastbound (over the lake) the 200' lines makes for great play with sail and dinner cruise boats! laugh.gif

I don't think I would ever fly my rev indoor on anything longer than 30, maybe 60' if it is a really big indoor venue. My rev indoor takes enough abuse from me as it is without me taking it outdoors XD

I also don't think I would ever fly a blast 4-8 on my 5 or 8 foot line sets...... I just don't think it would really fit.

I guess I should explain here (I stated this in my post about Conner on AGT) what my better 3/4 failed to mention when she typed her post up.

I got the indoor as a gift, because I wanted something to fly when it's raining or simply too cold to fly outside. (Did we mention we're in Alaska and it gets REALLY cold in the Winter? I have yet to let that stop me if there is wind...) Because of my disability, I found that keeping the kite going inside it just too painful and, generally, not even possible. I have a 1.5 SUL but, again, for me working that with 0-2mph wind like most people can is just not in the itinerary.

What I figured to do was, when there isn't quite enough wind to fly the SUL, the indoor can still go up and I can still get my physical therapy, which is my reason for flying these things in the first place. (I've posted about that as well...) The indoor doesn't get used in more than 2mph wind, and is just a bit more difficult than flying my better 3/4's SUL, which is bridless. A person using the indoor rev as I have seen it, is doing more than 2 mph anyways. It's not as "tricky" as a standard rev, (I haven't seen a flicflac done with one yet) but it gives me something to use to get me up off my ass instead of sitting at home whining about how much pain I'm in. I still am in pain when I fly the rev, but at least it's buried in my head underneath "left spin" "right spin" "dive stop" and "Oh crap, I'm gunna crash the kite!"

I use the indoor on longer lines because I haven't figured out the proper way to do it on shorter ones yet. And, as I've said many times before, I'm MORE than happy to have someone come up here or bring me down to them to show me how to do it! ;)

--TaK