25th Wildwoods Int'l Kite Festival!

Hi Everyone,

As of today, the 25th Wildwoods International Kite Festival is 102 days away - woo-hoo! - and with the snow especially in the north east, Memorial Day can't come soon enough!

A great big hello to everyone and I hope you & yours are all doing well. It's been that time of year again when I begin working feaverishly on WIKF and am looking forward to seeing you all. There are a lot of great things taking shape on this end and as time progresses, I'll post here with updated info to keep you in the loop.

The registration form is just about complete and I should have that out to all the east cost clubs (I don't have any other club addresses), Regional Directors, and will post it here if the site allows. Naturally, it will be posted on the Sky Festivals web site (www.SkyFestivals.com) on the "Events" page. As soon as it's available I'll drop a post to advise.

This years anniversary event is sure to bring folks out of the wood work beginning with Sam & Annie Ritter and Peter Kouklamanis! I'm trying to coax Sliceman out of a Buffalo, NY hybernation though I may need a bit of help, so please feel free to harass him - I told him it wouldn't be a true 25th without spandex & tye-dye! :-)

One of the items being worked on is a 25th Anniversary photo collage that will be displayed in the Gallery (Meeting Room 2) of the Wildwoods Convention Center (along with other displays) and we'd LOVE your help! We'd love to have a copy of any photo's you'd like to share with us from any of the past 25 Wildwood events - I'm sure there are some interesting ones out there. :-) Pauly Berard's girlfriend, Tara Goncalves, is spearheading this project and she can receive your photos either via email or your hard copy photos (which will not be returned) to their address. Tara's email address is [email protected]; the address for mailing hard copy photos is 28 Watson St., Woonsocket, RI 02895. PLEASE BE SURE TO SUBMIT YOUR PHOTOS NO LATER THAN SUNDAY, APRIL 25.

Sincere thanks to all of you who have ever come to a Wildwood, to those who are guests, to those who are part of the Op's team, and to those who need a reason to come to Wildwood - you've got one this year, it's the 25th anniversary!

I look forward to seeing you all!

Warmly,

Beatrix

AWESOME Mario..........That is excellent news!!!!!!! Can't wait to see you guys!!!!

Hey Rich, we're totally looking forward to fly with the Riders again and meet the rest of the crew there :kid_smartass::wub: We contacted Beatrix already and Terry will email you and Laura to coordinate something for our arrival :w00t:

Cheers and take care!!

Mario

Hey Rich, we're totally looking forward to fly with the Riders again and meet the rest of the crew there :kid_smartass::wub: We contacted Beatrix already and Terry will email you and Laura to coordinate something for our arrival :w00t:

Cheers and take care!!

Mario

It's coming up soon!!!!!!!!! Feels like it's right around the corner. So psyched you guys are making the trip!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi Everyone, Without further adieu, attached please find the registration form for the 25th Wildwoods International Kite Festival! Please note a few things:* kindly complete and return whether you are competing or not - everyone flying on the field MUST register;* hard copy (snail mail) registrations must be received no later than Saturday, May 15, 2010 to be considered pre event registration;* for those of you who print, complete and scan the reg forms back to me via email (this is not considered "hard copy"), the deadline date for these is also no later that Saturday, May 15, 2010;* one of the many items in the works I can share with you that's new is a "Butterfly Migration" - any of you who have Butterfly kites, be sure to bring them with you for the Butterfly Migration that will take place!;* as additional information is confirmed, I'll be sure to let you know! As always, sincere thanks for those of you who have any part of beng involved with this festival, I truly look forward to seeing you all soon! Warmly,Beatrix

WIKF 10 Reg Form.pdf

I noticed quad pairs isn't on the schedule. I'm guessing it's because OMPB isn't an Eastern League discipline. But it is an AKA discipline. So if it were to be offered you wouldn't get EL points but you would get AKA points. So for those of you who plain on competing. It looks like it will only be individual events. No teams and no pairs. Which is perfectly fine for some.......there isn't a big interest in competing anyway. Just so ya know.

Smith

Edited by Smitty

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone, There's a few things I'd like to share with you re WIKF '10 . . . * if you are attending & need to make lodging reservations, you may want to do this sooner rather than later - I've just learned that on the Sat of the event, May 29, there will be the unveiling of a permanent memorial wall (replicating the one in D.C.) in the park that is directly next to & north of the Oceanic & across from the Wildwoods Convention Center. Other activities will be taking place there also throughout the day including arts & crafts, a live band, etc. The point to note here is that when they erected a temporary wall three years ago, it drew 20K people just for that event alone. Hence, they are expecting an even larger crowd and are closing the streets near this area on Sat. If the event drew 20K three years ago on a temporary wall, it's going to draw an even larger crowd for the permanent wall, and sleeping rooms/lodging will be scarce;* if you haven't already completed & sent in your registration forms, I would greatly appreciate it if you could do this as soon as possible;* if you haven't already done so also and you have photos you would like to include for the 25th anniversary photo collage, please get them to Tara Goncalves also as soon as possible. Tara has not received a lot of photos and we would really like to make this a spectacular showing, so if you could dig into the photo box and get them to her, that would also be fabulous. Via email Tara can be reached at [email protected] or via snail mail she can be reached at 28 Watson St., Woonsocket, RI 02895. PLEASE BE SURE TO SUBMIT YOUR PHOTOS NO LATER THAN SUNDAY, APRIL 25.

Additional news & updates will be coming down the pike shortly and as always, sincere thanks to all of you who attend this event, I truly look forward to seeing you all in less than two months (and yes, anxiety is already setting in!) Warmly,Beatrix

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Everyone,

Well, it's coming upon us in just 27 days!!!!

If you haven't already gotten your completed registration forms in to me yet, please do so. Note, they must be in no later than May 15 for pre registration. Even if you are not competing, please complete the form for insurance purposes. Executing this in advance will shorten your wait in line at registration on site.

Also, please be sure you are sending them to the address on THIS YEAR'S registration form. A few of you have sent it to last year's address and I will not be receiving them.

Thanks so much to all of you and I can't wait to see you all in less than 4 weeks! C'mon, let's the party started!!!!!! :-)

Warmly,

Beatrix

• 2 weeks later...

Here comes the press releases...

Kites of All Shapes and Sizes Fill the Wildwoods' Sky with Color During 25th Annual Wildwoods International Kite Festival

Mon, 05/10/2010 - 3:33 pm

WILDWOOD – The 25th Annual Wildwoods International Kite Festival will kick off the summer season in the Wildwoods this Memorial Day Weekend, Friday, May 28 through Monday, May 31, on the beach at Rio Grande Avenue and in the Wildwoods Convention Center.

The Wildwoods International Kite Festival is the largest kite festival in North America, featuring kite makers from around the world flying their most incredible creations – from inflatable creatures to traditional kites. Guest kite makers this year include Ron Gibian of Visalia, CA; Dean Jordan of Gainesville, FL; Martin Blais of Maryville, TN; Jacques & Francine Letourneau of Quebec, Canada; and Robert Brasington of Tasmania, Australia, to name just a few.

This year's festival will also draw hundreds of kite fliers from area kite clubs to the Wildwoods, including the South Jersey Kite Flyers, Liberty High Spirits of New Jersey, Kites Over New England, Wings Over Washington, Richmond Air Force, Connectikiters and Keystone Kiters.

The Wildwoods International Kite Festival kicks off at noon on Friday, May 28, on the beach next to the Wildwoods Convention Center during the Wildwoods "Unlocking of the Ocean" ceremony. Students from Wildwood schools will celebrate the start of the summer season in the Wildwoods by flying their own hand-made kites on the beach. The festival continues on Friday night at 9:00 p.m. during the Nite Kite Fly, featuring illuminated kites of all kinds filling the sky.

The International Kite Festival continues on Saturday, May 29 and Sunday, May 30, with the East Coast Stunt Kite Championships, featuring the best sport kite pilots in the United States. The championships are comprised of a variety of competitions for individuals, pairs and teams. Also during the weekend, join in the Butterfly Migration, Candy Drop, Running of the Bols, Rev Games and Rokkaku Challenge; or fly a kite on the Learn to Fly Field and watch the Fighter Kite Competition. More fun is to be had inside the Wildwoods Convention Center with kite exhibits, workshops and indoor flying. Outdoor workshops on the beach will also take place.

The holiday weekend festivities conclude on Monday, May 31, when the International Kite Festival features the World Indoor Kite Competition in the Oceanfront Arena at the Wildwoods Convention Center.

Below is a list of International Kite Festival activities taking place throughout the weekend:

South Jersey Kite Flyers – Friday night social, poolside, Oceanic Hotel, $7.00 all you can eat buffet beginning at 6:00 p.m.;

Friday Nite Kite Fly – features illuminated kites & music starting at 9:00 p.m. on the beach between Rio Grande Avenue and Andrews Avenue;

Boardwalk on the Beach – vendors selling kites, novelties, crafts, food and drinks between Leaming Avenue and Andrews Avenue;

Free kite lessons and a "Learn To Fly" field on the beach in front of Leaming Avenue during the day on Saturday and Sunday;

Free "Learn to Fly Indoor" kite lessons in the Wildwoods Convention Center;

Free kite making workshops for all on Saturday and Sunday afternoons in the Wildwoods Convention Center and on the beach at Rio Grade Avenue;

Extravagant kite exhibits on display in the Wildwoods Convention Center, both in the south lobby and exhibit room;

Demonstrations and workshops by world class stunt kite flyers both in the Wildwoods Convention Center and on the beach near Rio Grande Avenue;

Kite Makers Competition – Saturday on the beach near Rio Grande Avenue;

Indian Fighter Kite Battles on Sunday on the beach near Rio Grande Avenue;

Japanese Rokkaku Challenges – taking place Sunday afternoon on the beach in near Rio Grande Avenue;

Kite Club Ground Displays – bring your camera;

Butterfly Kite Migration Fly on Saturday and Sunday on the beach near Rio Grande Avenue;

Four-line stunt kite mega-fly and skill games on Saturday and Sunday on the demo and activities field;

The Great Kite Auction – open to the public in the Wildwoods Convention Center on Saturday at 7:00 p.m. – many unique kites and collectibles will be auctioned off;

Kite games and competitions including Running of the Bols competition for kids and adults with prizes; ground display judging; sport kite competition judging; candy drops and more;

Free family activities featuring face painting, LegoMaster, and Sand Pounders (the building of sand sculptures);

The Blue Voodoo kite band playing at the Oceanic bar – Sunday evening

For additional information about the 25th Annual Wildwoods International Kite Festival, please call 732-822-4884 or visit www.SkyFestivals.com.