100 Rev fly at 2010 WSIKF (Aug 16-22)

KiteLife

Thank you Theresa for the info. I just hope i have enough money to rent a room. If there is anyone that wants to share a room with one other person please let me know by replying or sending me a PM.

Would you be interested in camping? :)

I find it alot cheaper to camp.

I stayed at Wildwood campground last year on Ts recomendation.

I will be staying there just Wed, and Thurs nights this year.

I am happy with the overflow area as I sleep in my suv. No need for any hook ups.

If your driving and have room to sleep in your car/truck that will work out.

Another option I considered is renting a U-Haul van in town and using it as a camper.

Ken

<sigh>

I am sad.

We've had to cancel our Pacific NW vacation, which takes Katie and I out of WSKIF and the megafly.

</sigh>

Ben,

Really sorry to hear that. Was excited to fly with you again after Louisiana.

Hopefully your future travel plans will make it possible for us to meet up again.

Hi guys, just wanted to let you know that I got a NICE discount at Budget car rental using this coupon code: U133214

http://www.budget.com

Took a $336 compact down to $220 or so for the whole week, unlimited mileage, from X2W (downtown Portland) location.

Sure it's more from PDX (airport), but still might be worthwhile.

Just thought you'd like to know. ;)

Hi guys, just wanted to let you know that I got a NICE discount at Budget car rental using this coupon code: U133214

http://www.budget.com

Took a $336 compact down to $220 or so for the whole week, unlimited mileage, from X2W (downtown Portland) location.

Sure it's more from PDX (airport), but still might be worthwhile.

Just thought you'd like to know. ;)

Ah well, our rental was booked in February. I'm reluctant to even contemplate looking at the details at this stage. We're flying into SEATAC anyway... <grins>

How are we on numbers now? Apart from Friday pizza is there a plan for Saturday after the final 'mega grid fly'?

'Earlier in the week' how are folk shaping up in respect of co-ordinated 'on the ground' moving? This began in a tentative way at Bristol 2008. In higher winds this is not an issue but I remember some lighter times at the WSIKF event previously.

Last weekend I figured a static 13 high column of 1.5s based on a relaxed wing-tip turn up the column. However, the variations of wind pressure at the top of the window mean that it is pretty tough holding the altitude. I found that a possible solution would be a dynamic switching from LE right to left. I appreciate that this may be beyond some of the participants.

Felix

Numbers are floating, 80-85 right now... I still expect enough walk-ons to overcome the 100 mark, if all goes well.

==

Saturday night, there is typically a festival banquet/auction... Should be info at http://www.kitefestival.com

There are also various club (AOK, WKA, etc) dinner functions on many WSIKF evenings, can someone fill in the blanks/specifics on this for the benefit of others?

==

With regard to grid and low wind movements, we'll be laying the foundation Mon/Tue/Wed with everyone who is attending at that point.

Lots of small exercises, which will give us a working foundation with which to demonstrate and teach during the official pre-flight meetings on Thu/Fri/Sat.

Reminder, Stephen (Hoath) and I will be running "point" on this, I'll be looking especially to Felix and mister Lummas for consultative support, among others.

==

It'll be fun, it is just kites after all...

I'll be laying down law at times for sure, but those who have had private discussion with me or a good look in my eyes will know the quality and sentiments behind it. ;)

Numbers are floating, 80-85 right now... I still expect enough walk-ons to overcome the 100 mark, if all goes well.

<snip>

Very serious fun indeed <grins>

80-85 is fine! Who needs 100?

The objective is, as I see it, to get everyone participating at a level that is comfortable to them. It may be a higher level than anything we have all done before but that is because the opportunity exists for all the participants to contribute to this event and there will be plenty of help and encouragement available. It is not a competition! We are looking for a collective success. <grins>

Felix

The objective is, as I see it, to get everyone participating at a level that is comfortable to them. It may be a higher level than anything we have all done before but that is because the opportunity exists for all the participants to contribute to this event and there will be plenty of help and encouragement available. It is not a competition! We are looking for a collective success. <grins>

Never a truer statement, well said!

The key to remember here, is no matter what we do, this will be one of the largest cooperative international efforts kiting has ever seen, and we will reach a record (previous is only 54).

Most certainly, the largest ever seen in sport kiting. :)

Lots of small exercises, which will give us a working foundation with which to demonstrate and teach during the official pre-flight meetings on Thu/Fri/Sat.

Reminder, Stephen (Hoath) and I will be running "point" on this, I'll be looking especially to Felix and mister Lummas for consultative support, among others.

==

Hi John, we had a 20 strong grid up at the weekend with some very new pilots and some experienced pilots who had not flown a grid before. Although we did not manage some of the more complex figures we were able to find a level that worked for us all. As for the crowds, well they loved it and of course had never seen anything like it before.

What i learnt is that although we all work at different paces and are capable of different levels of success, by working as a team and using the strengths of that team we are able to create something truly special. All it takes is the courage to start (ok, that's no small thing) and the courage to be prepared to get it wrong a few times (even harder). After all it's only kites. We crashed a few times, but apart from a bit of teasing from me, no-one died :kid_devlish:

So, i can't wait to fly with you all during the week. Anyone who wants to have a go on a small scale first just needs to track down the English contingent and we will make our mistakes in private. :blue-cool: Then be super cool for the Big Zing.

Edited by Stephen Hoath

Aye.

Of the 80+ pilots who are "signed up" at this point, I'd say easily 50-60 of them have had time in a grid (4x4 or greater).

At least 40 of them have likely been in a grid of 50 before (last year at WSIKF at least).

Never a truer statement, well said!

The key to remember here, is no matter what we do, this will be one of the largest cooperative international efforts kiting has ever seen, and we will reach a record (previous is only 54).

Most certainly, the largest ever seen in sport kiting. :)

Win, Win situation really. All the participants contribute. If the 100 does not happen this time that simply gives us the incentive to deal with the logistics and make it happen next year... Berck, maybe?

How are 1Quad's plans developing? <grins>

Felix

Aye.

Of the 80+ pilots who are "signed up" at this point, I'd say easily 50-60 of them have had time in a grid (4x4 or greater).

At least 40 of them have likely been in a grid of 50 before (last year at WSIKF at least).

64 should be easy with the 'experienced' fliers!

I suspect that the shear weight of experience, enthusiasm and ability to help less experienced fliers make this a 'no-brainer'.

I have been thinking further about my autograph project and may have to ask for everyone to help to make it happen on a practical level. I was hoping to get participants to sign their names and write a few lines about the event and what it meant to them. Obviously if thought could be given to this ahead of the event and texts could be sent to me by e-mail the whole project could be wrapped up much sooner.

Thanks for your help

Felix