100 Rev fly at 2010 WSIKF (Aug 16-22)

KiteLife

We were there last year for the first time and will be there this year. Can't miss it!! Please sign me up for the mega-fly. We'll be at the Thousand Trails with Watty and Grandma again - a week before and a week after. Ive been flying with the San Diego Kite Club

Edited by Sky King

Two (2) comments, brief because they are not terribly profound.

1. After flying in a 4x4 grid at the Rev clinic, I think there is too much over-thinking the thing. If you have the slightest interest, show up at one of the practice sessions. Then decide if you want to participate. :kid_smartass:

2. 2009 WSIKF my sister-in-law and brother-in-law witnessed one of the earlier attempts at the world record. They were awe-struck! And that was with all the novices falling to the ground around the edges of the formation. I don't think the NASCAR mentality is very strong in the WSKIKF audience. They are more focused on the successes and partial successes, and even the attempts that fail, then on any perceived disasters. IMO. They will cheer anyone making an honest attempt, rather that anxiously anticipate a crash. :P

We were there last year for the first time and will be there this year. Can't miss it!! Please sign me up for the mega-fly. We'll be at the Thousand Trails with Watty and Grandma again - a week before and a week after. Ive been flying with the San Diego Kite Club

I look forward to seeing you there. :)

After flying in a 4x4 grid at the Rev clinic, I think there is too much over-thinking the thing. If you have the slightest interest, show up at one of the practice sessions. Then decide if you want to participate. :kid_smartass:

*wild applause*

That's it, exactly. :)

FYI, I was able to do some more tutorials today, will be editing tonight... Also did a half-assed grid skills video, we'll see how it turns out.

Yes you do Bart, and we love you dearly for it. :)

While you may over think things, I think you often speak to the "every person" and drive good topics for upcoming fliers.

PS: I'm rendering the basic grid skills video now, it's not too bad... Seems really simple to me, like a lot of work for nothing, but eh. :)

Remember, it's not like we're going to do those spinning spirals of doom with n00bs on the line, no :censored: way... We work to the average.

We'll have enough very capable pilots on hand, we'll be trying lots of insane stuff in slightly smaller and more advanced groups at other times.

Here you go folks...

(may still be processing - will be available in HD soon)

Sorry it's not more, but as I mentioned, I don't think there is an awful lot to it.

Some view grid flying as complex, and it's really not...

Basic grid flying is composed of a whopping 6 or so basic types of movements in various directions.

Do the individual movements with a modicum of skill when you're instructed to do so, and you're on track.

Aye aye Tom, gotcha added to the list... You going to be at WSIKF for the full week?

Also, FYI, there should be a small article about the upcoming mega fly in AKA's next issue of Kiting magazine, so I'm hoping we'll see another surge of sign ups after that hits the stands. ;)

No spinning spirals of doom??!! Why didn't you say that sooner??!! That was the biggest crap my pants part of the whole tangled affair.

... so what is a spinning spiral of doom anyway? wacko.gif

It's really not that hard, it just LOOKS bonkers... The actual flight part is very doable, it's the mass of movement that throws most people. :)

Notice when he says "everybody back to grid" at :28 in the video?

Always amazes me how fast and easy it is for folks to go back to "home position". :D

Now, if that video focused on one kite with just that kites neighbours on the edge of the frame then I would agree it doesn't look that bad. A simple (in theory) follow the leader.

Like you say, it is the whole that messes with the mind, but it is very difficult not to focus on the whole even though we're not supposed to. I know for myself not seeing the big picture and just watching myself and my next closest kites is a tall order. I need to develope selective vision to go along with my selective hearing.

Bart

John, that video showing the basic moves necessary for the mega fly was HUGELY helpful!:blue-grin:

Thanks so much for filming it and posting it here!

OK, now....(checks her calendar)....when is my next day off....I've gotta get out there and practice!:blue-cool:

Now, if that video focused on one kite with just that kites neighbours on the edge of the frame then I would agree it doesn't look that bad.

No it wouldn’t, any video shot from outside the grid gives a spectators eye view perspective plays tricks on you, (see point 2 here), there is only one way to get a pilots eye view and that is to get in there and give it a go.

A simple (in theory) follow the leader.

Exactly :)

Here you go folks...

(may still be processing - will be available in HD soon)

Sorry it's not more, but as I mentioned, I don't think there is an awful lot to it.

Some view grid flying as complex, and it's really not...

Basic grid flying is composed of a whopping 6 or so basic types of movements in various directions.

Do the individual movements with a modicum of skill when you're instructed to do so, and you're on track.

This is good. Where do I get the kite that stays pinned to the sky with not the least bit of wobble?

I can say from watching this I have problems with quite a bit of those moves and have had for along time even with repeated practice. Backing up at any orientation is bad. Upright slide I've never been able to pull off.

I have a wobbly hover at all angles but that is improving each time I attempt it. I can do a 180 turn without taking up the whole sky to pull it off.

Unless there is a magic trick to some of this backing up business that I can quickly learn it is still troubling for me.

Bart

Hey Bart, remember that 5 minutes we talked about?

That's your cure brother, nothing like emapthic feel to get you over a hump. ;)

I think you'll be surprised at how quickly you adjust after that.

My guess is that you're simply trying too hard.

Tutorial on reverse will be available tonight or tomorrow.

I know the infamous 5 minutes. In the meantime I'll get the new vids you're doing and continue to work on it. I won't try as hard!

My comments, though, were more a matter of a snapshot of "right now". Hopefully over the next four months I'll have a lot more practice.

Bart

This is good. Where do I get the kite that stays pinned to the sky with not the least bit of wobble?

Bart

You'll get it over the next few month of practice. One day you will be at your favorite flyingspot and at the end of the day you will say: Wow, that's not that hard after all! Happened to me. And I am certainly not a guru---yet:)

JB,

Thanks for the great basic skills video, and the maneuver diagrams (which I mistakenly called a "playbook" :blushing: in an earlier request - what you provided was exactly what I wanted.:))

I think I'm progressed about 30% from where I was at the Rev Clinic to where I need to be, to be (mostly) comfortable in a large grid. :kid_content:

Now, regarding GUSTY winds... :kid_brooding:

How important do you think being able to hold stable positions and backward movements in gusty winds will be? Sometimes the Long Beach winds are beautifully smooth (westerlies), and sometimes they can be as bad as inland winds (easterlies). But with any kite, I find a gust while holding an inverted position or backing up can overload the slower reactions of my old nervous system, resulting in unpredictable over-correction errors. I guess the question is, will gusty winds be a reason for postponing attempts, or limiting the participants?

Or, probably best, rather than making advanced decisions, you will probably make decisions on the spot. I bring the topic up only to gain a little insight into your thinking that will be behind the real-time decisions - comfort or challenge to us wanna-be's.

BTW, in my short experience (5% of yours!), it seems a vented kite in moderate to strong gusty winds is as easy to handle as a non-vented in light to moderate smooth winds.

Most of the decisions will be made as it happens, as there just too many variables (high, low, bad wind) to consider in advance...

In short, we'll just facilitate folks so they have as much experience and knowledge as they can muster, and gently sit them out if they're out of their league for any given condition.

The great thing about a week long festival, even three days of uber mega flying, is that we're almost guaranteed a variety of conditions an many "once again" opportunities... Highly unlikely we won't have at least one day that suits the average for all comers, and many smaller grids in-between so assuredly, everyone will walk away with a great deal of grins and experience. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

This should be the event of the decade ( understated ) for Rev flyers in the US, just as a witness will be priceless.

I will kick myself foreva if i can't make it.

If your within 3000 miles and you fly Rev's and / or use this Forum, GO somehow/ SOMEWAY!!!

U won't regret it!!

I feel bad for those from the east coast who have to chose to either go to Nationals and compete or go to WSIKF and fly till your head caves in.

This event will be one to remember I"M SURE!!!

organized kaos at it's finest!!! wanna see cat's being herded.... LITERALLY show up!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Really looking forward to this!

I hope everybody who is planning on coming has reservations/accommodations as motel space is almost sold out!

I was able to pick up one more condo unit, however, it is only 3 nights, checking in on Thursday Aug 19th out on Sunday Aug 22nd in a studio unit in the Worldmark condo on Sid Snyder. If anyone is coming in for the weekend and is interested, call me for more info at The Kite Shoppe number: 360-695-9646.

Theresa

GONE!

Edited by Theresa

<snip>

Hi Bart,

I was just reviewing the thread and spotted your comment.

While varying wind conditions will require input from the flier, if conditions are 'ideal' there is no reason why 'pinned to the sky' precision should not be achieved.

'No wobble/long arm' flying can be achieved "only" if the flier makes the effort to do it!

See you at WSIKF.

Felix