100 Rev fly at 2010 WSIKF (Aug 16-22)

KiteLife

Oh, it's no performance... We don't have a sound system, and won't be anywhere the main field.

It's just a bunch of fliers trying to put Legos together, basically.

If it's cool, let me leave you on the list, and if you're able to attend WSIKF, you decide what you want to do once you get a little airtime and a feel for things?

As others have mentioned above, it's really not all that... Just good fun, and building something together.

At Portsmouth, for reasons I cannot recall*, we managed to get allocated a main arena spot for the first ever, 'not rehearsed' 47 (then at Bristol 54) person Mega Fly. In hindsight that was an almost ridiculous thing to attempt but 'we' collectively pulled it off. I am amused by the Lego reference and cannot help but see 'le egos' as in a French masculine 'ego' <grins>. There are some 'interesting' cultural issues involved in getting international co-operation arranged in any discipline and obviously kiting is no exception. I hope that all the 'individual' fliers who have put their names forward for the 100 Rev Fly at WSIKF will appreciate that while we can have fun and build something without the immediate pressure of a 'public performance' we are really engaging in something rather important in a very broad sense as well.

Felix

(*well, actually I do have an inkling as to why it was deemed to be credible)

Edited by Felix Mottram

I think it speaks measures for our community... At the moment, we're the only facet of kiting which is so actively pursuing global/team goals like this and staying so lighthearted, fun and beginner oriented at the same time... Open door policy, "anyone can do it with just a little work, and we're genuinely here to show you how".

Something I'm infinitely proud to be a part of. :)

I think it speaks measures for our community... At the moment, we're the only facet of kiting which is so actively pursuing global/team goals like this and staying so lighthearted, fun and beginner oriented at the same time... Open door policy, "anyone can do it with just a little work, and we're genuinely here to show you how".

Something I'm infinitely proud to be a part of.

We are pursuing global/team goals 'because we can'. My only regret might be that having written about the possibility of a 10 x 10 mega team in 1993 I was not able see the opportunity to push the concept until 2007/2008.

"just a little work" is what is needed from all the participants as well as a willingness to help others...

Felix

I have a few questions about the self assessment of our level as a Rev flyer. What would a level 1 flier be able to do, and what about level 2 and so on? Are there certain skills that are indicators of one's level? And are there certain essential skills without which one would be a fool to try join in the mega fly, and, if so, what are they?

thanks,

Erin

I have a few questions about the self assessment of our level as a Rev flyer. What would a level 1 flier be able to do, and what about level 2 and so on? Are there certain skills that are indicators of one's level? And are there certain essential skills without which one would be a fool to try join in the mega fly, and, if so, what are they?

thanks,

Erin

This is a good point. What is the defenition of foolish in this? Say it now and avoid problems later. I hear a lot of comments about people being ready with minimal help the days before, but let's be more specific for the good of all of this.

Bart

thanks,

Erin

Here is a break down of the skill level as I see it. Bare in mind that this is my own view on it, and others may see it laid out a bit differently

On a scale of 0-10:

0 - "Thumbs back means forward, right?"

1 - Upright hovers, somewhat stable... sometimes

2 - upright hovers, struggling with side hover. The hover may be wobbly

3 - Having left, right, upright hovers, but cannot come close to an inverted hover.

4 - Struggling with inverted hover, but able to get it now and then

5 - Being able to hover facing left, right, up and down. The hover may be wobbly.

6 - Stable hovers in all directions + smooth transitions between hover positions

7 - smooth clockwork and bicycle spins

8 - Able to reverse to the top of the wind window

9 - Able to fly a Reverse octagon.

10 - Absolute control.

Maybe #7 and 8 could be switched....... but it gives you an idea. I would say that to participate without many problems you would need to be at least a 4 on this scale. I imagine you could get away a rank 3 and maybe even a 2, but you would have to be placed in a spot where you will not have to hover inverted.

If anyone else thinks anything different, feel free to copy my scale and modify. If there is a large amount of discrepancy, I would suggest placing it into a new topic, so as to keep this one on track.

Edited by Watty

thanks,

Erin

I think that perhaps you are looking at this the wrong way, dare I say it, but I think you are taking it all way to seriously? A while back Felix kicked of a discussion about a proposed International Register of Maga-team Rev fliers. That may, or may not, still be on the cards, but it looks like John is running this show and I get the distinct impression that things are going to be run way more informally than “graded fliers”.

From what I have read so far it doesn’t look like this is going to be in the arena, this is just going to be a group if like minded mates playing on the beach. My advice would be go along to a few of the earlier “workshops” and give it a go, dip your toe in the water and see how it feels. If you still don’t think you are up to it, have a word with someone you know and trust. Though it is my guess that the workshops will be used as informal auditions, and that those that are not up to the job, will get a discreet tap on the shoulder, way before they get a chance to do any serious damage.

Take a look in my sig line, “Rev Fliers Do it with Friends.” go along and have fun with a few friends, okay a lot of friends, and break that record. I sure wish I was joining you.

• Like 1

I think that perhaps you are looking at this the wrong way, dare I say it, but I think you are taking it all way to seriously? A while back Felix kicked of a discussion about a proposed International Register of Maga-team Rev fliers. That may, or may not, still be on the cards, but it looks like John is running this show and I get the distinct impression that things are going to be run way more informally than "graded fliers".

From what I have read so far it doesn't look like this is going to be in the arena, this is just going to be a group if like minded mates playing on the beach. My advice would be go along to a few of the earlier "workshops" and give it a go, dip your toe in the water and see how it feels. If you still don't think you are up to it, have a word with someone you know and trust. Though it is my guess that the workshops will be used as informal auditions, and that those that are not up to the job, will get a discreet tap on the shoulder, way before they get a chance to do any serious damage.

Take a look in my sig line, "Rev Fliers Do it with Friends." go along and have fun with a few friends, okay a lot of friends, and break that record. I sure wish I was joining you.

Right on. We should remember that we are kite flyers. The majority of us are very laid back. If you are not ready for the mega fly it will be obviously apparent in smaller practice mega flies. Besides, if you aren't ready the worst that will probably happen is some lines will be twisted, and maybe break a rod or two. With the amount of experienced people that will be on the beach that can get out just about any tangle. If a rod breaks, I'm sure someone will have a spare. I have extras of everything but race rods, zen rods, 2 wrap and SLEs. And if no one has what I am missing, I'm sure Ben and Lolly will.

• Like 1

Here is a break down of the skill level as I see it. Bare in mind that this is my own view on it, and others may see it laid out a bit differently

On a scale of 0-10:

3 - Having left, right, upright hovers, but cannot come close to an inverted hover.

5 - Being able to hover facing left, right, up and down. The hover may be wobbly.

6 - Stable hovers in all directions + smooth transitions between hover positions

10 - Absolute control.

This only applies to smooth Beach winds I hope, cos in Berck in 30 mph I had a little trouble with #1, particularly with the turbulence caused by the two massive Bolles behind me  :blue_wink: and I know at least 17 other people felt the same.

Lets not forget that for the public watching they really want to see you all crash and tangle your lines !!!!  And I'd hate for that not to happen :kid_devlish:

PS anyone heard about the American Jonesy - or as we say on here - Where's Ben  :blue_smile: or #18

On a scale of 0-10:

10 - Absolute control.

This is a good list Watty. I can finally say I'm dead in the middle at number 5 in my skills.

Bart

Thanks a lot for that list Watty! Really helpful to get an idea of what is necessary to not make a total debacle of this event.

Last year most any of us with a Rev were encouraged to go into the Mega fly. Naturally the beginners were grouped at the end. I was there and definitely a solid noob! blue_biggrin.gif

It really only took one unskilled move by one beginner to bring a whole load of us down! No wonder the better fliers didn't want to be too close by!kid_devlish.gif And then of course we managed to stall the process for a long time as we valiantly struggled to untangle our kites and lines.

I like the idea of a more organized mega fly and I can also understand now, with a little more Rev wisdom, why its not preferable to join in if one's skills are too underdeveloped.

That said, the kite season is just really beginning in earnest around here and I figure I've got three solid months to work on my skills. If it still looks I could cause a mid air explosion or be a magnet for a mid air explosion, I'll be happy to just hang 'in back,' camera at the ready and Rev safely in the bag, out of harms way.innocent.gif

Great discussion, nothing else to offer except...

1. Don't forget about Mon/Tue/Wed, TONS of opportunity for help, friends, fun, practice. :)

2. The massive attempts are once on each of three days, again, lots of smaller and less challenging opportunities for those who want to try it out or add to their skills.

Last year was kind of nutty because the announcer didn't really qualify any skill level when he invited folks into the mega fly, it was tough, all kinds of "from scratch" newbies...

However, we made a lot of new friends that day, folks who bravely wandered into no man's land and stayed afterward, excited at the prospects of getting better with their kite(s).

Airin was such a person, someone I might not have met if she hadn't stepped out into the mega fly... A while after, we spent a fair amount of time talking about Revs, definitely hooked.

Yes, the audience is looking for some crashes, they LOVE it... Sure, we try and keep it to a minimum, but it happens, "you" (whoever) won't be the only one to take out a few kites.

==

Bob and Watty both have the whole attitude and approach SPOT-ON below...

I think that perhaps you are looking at this the wrong way, dare I say it, but I think you are taking it all way to seriously? A while back Felix kicked of a discussion about a proposed International Register of Maga-team Rev fliers. That may, or may not, still be on the cards, but it looks like John is running this show and I get the distinct impression that things are going to be run way more informally than "graded fliers".

From what I have read so far it doesn't look like this is going to be in the arena, this is just going to be a group if like minded mates playing on the beach. My advice would be go along to a few of the earlier "workshops" and give it a go, dip your toe in the water and see how it feels. If you still don't think you are up to it, have a word with someone you know and trust. Though it is my guess that the workshops will be used as informal auditions, and that those that are not up to the job, will get a discreet tap on the shoulder, way before they get a chance to do any serious damage.

Take a look in my sig line, "Rev Fliers Do it with Friends." go along and have fun with a few friends, okay a lot of friends, and break that record. I sure wish I was joining you.

Right on. We should remember that we are kite flyers. The majority of us are very laid back. If you are not ready for the mega fly it will be obviously apparent in smaller practice mega flies. Besides, if you aren't ready the worst that will probably happen is some lines will be twisted, and maybe break a rod or two. With the amount of experienced people that will be on the beach that can get out just about any tangle. If a rod breaks, I'm sure someone will have a spare. I have extras of everything but race rods, zen rods, 2 wrap and SLEs. And if no one has what I am missing, I'm sure Ben and Lolly will.

I really like the chart that you came up with Watty!

I hate to say it, but I'm currently a 2-3.smiley-blushing.gif

Last year at the WSIKF I was a 1, and had graciously declined JBs offer to join in.

I look forward to joining in this year, where ever JB see fit to place me.

I hope to get there Monday to get more practace in, but depending on work, I might have to settle for Thursday morning.

I met a lot of nice people last year, and look forward to meeting more people.

Ken

Good on ya Ken. :)

Indeed, everything is one toe at a time as things progress... I suggest everyone come with the *goal* of doing the mega fly on Thursday, working on weak areas up until, and if you're absolutely going to lose you mind from the stress of it all, sit out, work on some more stuff with help from all the great folks there and move the *goal* to Friday, etc, etc, etc.

I think everyone will not only be surprised by how much they learn leading up the mega flies, but also at how helpful and genuinely supportive the other attending fliers are.

This morning it dawned on me, perhaps a video is in order, demonstrating the basic skills used in a mega fly... It's now on my to do list for sometime in the next couple of days.

It won't be instructional, but it will be picture-in-picture (body/hands and kite). ;)

. . . . .

Bob and Watty both have the whole attitude and approach SPOT-ON below...

Thanks for that John. I am usually reluctant to speak for anyone else but I have so much sympathy for these people wobbling on the cusp.

. . . . .

This morning it dawned on me, perhaps a video is in order, demonstrating the basic skills used in a mega fly... It's now on my to do list for sometime in the next couple of days.

It won't be instructional, but it will be picture-in-picture (body/hands and kite). ;)

Just a thought, maybe this is one that you produce but don’t star in. Everyone knows you can do this stuff and do it well. It may be an idea to find a “potential makeweight” to “star” in this one for a less intimidating, more realistic representation of what is required.

Thanks for that John. I am usually reluctant to speak for anyone else but I have so much sympathy for these people wobbling on the cusp.

Just a thought, maybe this is one that you produce but don't star in. Everyone knows you can do this stuff and do it well. It may be an idea to find a "potential makeweight" to "star" in this one for a less intimidating, more realistic representation of what is required.

Maybe it could be done at the LC Summer Fest or something where there will be enough flyers to setup a small grid.

Well, if you are going to do a demo video on a small scale grid then why not show that acceptable "wobble" room on the edges and surrounded as well. Demonstrate potential problems that the outside edge can run into as well as when surrounded.

Bart