100 Rev fly at 2010 WSIKF (Aug 16-22)

KiteLife

I'd like to point out that grid flying is very much about frames of reference...

Look peripherally at your column, get used to seeing that dark line of kites up and down...

Peripherally look across the sky at your row, get a sense for that dark line of kites, more or less the same altitude from right to left...

Using these up/down and left/right references, you more or less have your position.

==

The trick is not to watch the whole thing at once, keep your awareness pared down slightly, to your row, your column, your group (4 pack, 6 pack, etc), and your space.

I'd say the #1 biggest issue is not identifying row and column, but more so, preserving enough space between each row and column for it to be clearly visible.

Another trick is to familiarize yourself with the color/paneling/etc of your neighboring kites...

Since we'll be running color-coded columns (by way of assignment), you'll have mostly the same people around you on each attempt.

==

Try all that with the videos in the first post of this topic.

Pick a kite somewhere in the middle of the grid and imagine you're flying it, track it, experiment with tunnel vision, with watching only the row, watching only the column, etc, changing your frames of reference each time you watch the footage... Then after a few such experiments, try opening your field of awareness to include several references at once.

Really, it is FAR easier than it looks... Yes, some basic skills are required, but not much... It's mostly about speed control, not "taking off", nothing happens that fast except bursts.

When in doubt, wait a second, let everything move around you, and your next step will often become evident as kites move around you...

Even in the videos, you see quite a few folks doing exactly that... It's par for the course.

The trick is not to watch the whole thing at once, keep your awareness pared down slightly, to your row, your column, your group (4 pack, 6 pack, etc), and your space.

So, what if I want to see the whole thing? This reminds me of this Garrison Keillor story where they wanted to build this human flag for 4th of July. You know, guys dressed up in red, white and blue and arranged appropriately. Well they never got this darn thing completed because someone always snug out to run up to the second floor to look at it. Do we get to sneak out for a bit to look at it too???????????????

This thing is so big, you literally can't see it all as a flier... The one price we pay for being the people who make it happen.

Remember, paring down your awareness is just part of the training, it should become fairly automatic after a bit so you can look around some.

It's so damned big though, you literally have to get behind it by 500-1000 feet in order to really see the big picture.

==

There is always video to look at afterward. :)

I've added a few more names... Ray and Carol Bechard, more WindBenders from Canada, as well as the other three Detroit Windjammers (George, Michael and James).

Some of the folks have other commitments on the main festival field at times, mass ascensions, demos, competition, etc, so we'll take what we can get on the day(s) of. ;)

Alright, as of right now, we're just 38 fliers short of 100...

I expect 1-5 more to confirm from the UK if all goes well...

There should be 10-15 "walk on" fliers that we pick up at the event who aren't in the forum or Facebook loops...

There *might* be one or more teams joining us from Asia, but are 100% unconfirmed as of this moment.

Plus however many US fliers who DO read the forums but are just waiting to see if they can schedule/afford the event.

There will also be a small article in the next issue of AKA's Kiting magazine, courtesy of David Hathaway.

I'd say we're doing pretty well, keep spreading the word!

==

FYI, I've spoken with Jane Holeman (primary WSIKF organizer) and they will be giving us a designated field set up... We might need to modify it a little, but we have support.

Also, we will be listed in the event program... Schedule and info. ;)

ROFL Bart!!!

Also, I've had a couple of inquires about "where will I be in the grid"...

Just FYI, nothing is set yet, still adding names, I'll send out assignments 90 days prior to the event so everyone knows who their team (column) is. ;)

Oh God, I am feeling the pressure already....

I'll need to go out again tomorrow and hover.

Bart

Hi Bart-

Don't forget to breathe!

I promise you, you are going to be VERY pleasantly surprised as to how well you do. Just relax and enjoy it. As has been stated several times here, there will be smaller grid action so that folks can get a feel for it. If you can hover your kite in all directions, you're basically ready.

While you're flying alone, you might want to pick various spots and try hovering next to them. Then, face the opposite way and hover there. You can move forward, keeping that horizontal line and then back it up to where you started. If you just practice that, you will gain muscle memory that will help you, even if you're wind up with a bit of sensory overload from the big event.

You've got lots of time to practice and I'm willing to bet that you will!

Take care and breathe! kid_smartass.gif

Aye, we'll have lots of 4x4 practices beforehand to get the newer folks ready on Mon/Tue/Wed...

Trick is, we can afford to take our licks during those practices, you'll get it all out your system during that time.

By Thu/Fri/Sat, you'll be an old pro.

==

When we did it in Portsmouth and Bristol (2008), we had no practice and still managed to get grids of 47 and 54 up in the air successfully...

And bear in mind, perhaps a dozen of the folks who participated in those grids were as new as you are, or newer. ;)

Regarding the pre-flight meeting.

Better to have 100 people at this meeting or have "squad" leaders attend then break off in their own groups?

Perhaps the top pilot in each column is the squad leader, they go to the pre-flight meeting then meet and relate to the other nine people in his/her column.

Makes for easier conversation and questions with just 10 people in a huddle instead of 100.

Just a thought based on years of dealing with big groups of people working towards a common goal.

Bart

Regarding the pre-flight meeting.

Better to have 100 people at this meeting or have "squad" leaders attend then break off in their own groups?

Perhaps the top pilot in each column is the squad leader, they go to the pre-flight meeting then meet and relate to the other nine people in his/her column.

Makes for easier conversation and questions with just 10 people in a huddle instead of 100.

Just a thought based on years of dealing with big groups of people working towards a common goal.

Bart

If 10 people sit on the sand in a line, one behind another, it will be possible, I think, for someone addressing them from in front to make themselves heard. (Surf <white noise> can make it a bit difficult for us oldies, of course) If there are ten lines, side by side, we may be ready to 'walk' (and 'talk') the routines. I think that 'everyone' should attend the pre-flight meeting, in part, to avoid '<that country over there> whispers' from causing confusion.

Great to see that the 8 x 8 is in place.

Felix

Aye, we've at least got the 8x8 already. :)

And yes, I'd agree, generally grouping the 10's into 10 groups standing or sitting together will be sufficient...

I'm a barker, communicating won't be an issue, and we have a bullhorn if it comes down to it.

What I'll do is basically run off a roll call from my list on Thursday morning, handing out the colored wristbands, sorting out teams.

Sample of wristband, showing both sides:

post-2-127040490323_thumb.jpg

The main goal for me is to get each of the groups to familiarize themselves with their column-mates so they know who to look for in the big group and where they belong.

My guess, we'll probably do a drill that morning, working out the basics of how to get into formation... Bodies only, no kites.

I've just added this to the first post as well, more info about how arranging 100 kites and fliers might work in one scenario.

==

Set up on the ground w/ wind running down the beach...

Chances are, we literally won't be able to fit 100 kites wingtip to wingtip onto the beach (unless we have a straight ocean wind), so here is how the 10x10 Grid might look from above, while "at rest" on the ground:

post-2-127040814803_thumb.jpg

In theory, this is how the LAUNCHING process might work...

When we mobilize, the upwind pilots (1-5) in the center two color columns (blue and black) will launch into position high in the window and move forward if wind allows... Perhaps 30 seconds afterward, the downwind pilots (6-10) in the same columns will launch into position low in the window and walk backward to meet with the top of their column in the middle of the field.

Having established the center two columns, we'd then add to each side, two columns at a time...

Teal/Yellow

Green/Orange

Purple/Red

Grey/Brown

Once we get the process down, we should be able to launch the next pair of columns while the previous two are still positioning...

I'd like to see each column up in under a minute, and I think it's very possible once we work out the process and are moving together.

<snip>

I'd like to see each column up in under a minute, and I think it's very possible once we work out the process and are moving together.

Seems to me that time spent sitting on the ground getting to know who will be in close proximity will be time well spent.

I'm wondering if it might be possible set up the kites in a close formed grid on the ground?

With a little 'planning' it may be possible to go for a simultaneous launch <grins>

Felix

Up to 69 confirmed now, just 31 to go and we've got 100. :)

JB,

I'm wondering if we should be encouraging 'names' from Rev flying history to turn up. I'm sure you know who I mean...

I do not know current circumstances so would not want to cite examples <grins>

Felix

Full week, Skill level only 1 or 2, I need to acquire a rev, have flown others revs, but want to polish my skills for this! Any help to get a Rev kite and what I should buy would be appreciated. ROBIN

Ideally, you would want both a full vent and a full sail rev 1.5 or B-Series. You would also want one set of race rods or 2 wrap, one set of 3 wrap, and one set of 4 wrap. Having these things will allow you to participate in any set of wind conditions. At Long Beach, you never know what you will get. One day the wind could be dead, and the next you could see me rolling down the beach.

If you are unable to get two kites, I would recommend either a full sail or a mid-vent with the same assortment of rods. I figure it would be easier to fly a full sail in heavy wind than it would be to fly a full vent in light wind. However, flying a kite above it's recommended wind range does pose a risk of damage to the rods or the sail.

There will be a required amount of skill in order to participate in the big mega attempt(s)...

Relatively stable hovers facing 8 directions on the clock (12, 1:30, 3, 4:30, 6, etc), controlled speed forward and reverse flight in various directions, etc.

However! That's what Mon/Tue/Wed are for, anyone can come down to the Rev field for some very friendly and helpful support, our goal is to enable if possible, not to exclude.

With some of the best Rev fliers in the world attending, there will be no shortage of instruction, the brass ring is there for anyone who wants it. ;)

On average, at the iQuad clinics, we've been able to take *most* folks from absolute novice to beginning team flier within 10-30 hours of flight time.

Just posting some more visual aids here...

post-2-12704961195_thumb.png

The image above shows how we might start layering balls ("center four kites, face out to form a ball").

Outside of that, you'll see the next square of kites which would be "next ring of kites, face out to form a ball".

Outside of that, another square of kites, "next ring of kites, face out to form a ball".

Etc, etc.

Using this approach, we end up with five rings, one inside another...

==

Outer ring is one, inner ring is 5, slow burst in order... One... Two... Three... Four... Five.

Back to balls in reverse... Five... Four... Three... Two... One.

==

Back in the ball positions, another move, probably the most difficult...

Inner ring turn to place their left wingtip toward the center (looks like a pinwheel).

post-2-127049688796_thumb.png

Next ring out, turn to put your right wingtip toward the center.

Next ring out, turn to put your left wingtip toward the center.

Next ring out, turn to put your right wingtip toward the center.

Outside ring, turn to put your left wingtip toward the center.

(this puts the rings facing alternating directions

Now, fly forward slowly, around your circle.

All kites turn to face the other way...

Now, fly forward slowly, back to your original positions.

==

The trick to this whole thing is moderating speed, flying slowly... And to keep visual tabs on the shape YOU are a part of, like which ring in the scenario above.

If you get in the wrong place or bump into someone else, the only thing that cause catastrophe is if someone loses their hover and takes off too quickly, hover and work it out.

==

Own your hover, and remember more or less, where your "home" spot is in the grid...

The leader may call out "BACK TO GRID", and everyone should move at moderate speed back to their original "home" positions.

It never ceases to amaze me how reliably people respond when they hear "BACK TO GRID", it sorts itself out very quickly. :)

==

Remember, I will be working to put the most experienced pilots in the middle of the whole thing and along the bottom, with the less experienced pilots more high and outside in the grid... The info and images above should give you an idea of some of the hover and flight skills that we'll all want to practice before the event and on Mon/Tue/Wed before the largest mega fly attempts.