100 Rev fly at 2010 WSIKF (Aug 16-22)

KiteLife

The radios are strictly a one-way deal... I (or whoever is leading) will be transmitting, everyone else will simply be receiving.

Clipping to your breast pocket is fine, as long as you can hear it amidst the chatter going on around you. ;)

Over ear phones are best indeed, as there's no opportunities to land and stick an in-ear piece back in place.

Common channels we use are 1 through 12, and you must be sure you know how to ensure your VOX is off, otherwise it'll mess with the leader's output and fliers won't be able to hear the commands.

Also, SPARE BATTERIES... A big thing to be prepared with.

All great questions Howard, very relevant, thanks for bringing them up. ;)

I think we will be flying in to portland which I believe is closer. I am sure JB or someone will correct me if that is wrong.

Mark

Google Maps gives me 117 from Portland to Long Beach and '159' miles from SeaTac to Long Beach! Don't know where I got 119 from. Wishful thinking maybe?

Felix

Edited by Felix Mottram

It looks like flying into Seatle is markedly cheaper, even though Portland would be a shorter drive. On first glance the price difference from Seatac to Portland is enough (multiplied by three if the Wind Militia makes the trip) to pay for a rental car. Not sure I can save that much though. I'll try.

Sea-Tac airport is 160 miles from Long Beach.

Portland International Airport is 115.5 miles using Interstate 5 and Hwy 30. It is 124.2 miles using Hwy 26 to Hwy 101. A little farther, but we find this to be a much nicer, faster drive. We use this route when going from Portland to Long Beach.

One note on the radios, you can find all kinds of refurbished radios on the 'bay. I bought one last year for 15 bones, free shipping, and it included a headset. Unless you have other uses for a radio, why spend more than you need to?

Going to long beach from either Seattle or Portland is going to take you off of the big roads. Long Beach is a small coastal town that is a ways off the beaten path, for those who have never been to the Pacific North West, you will be surprised by its "local" flavor. For those who have Google Earth on their confuser, here is a few lat/long coordinates to help out on where to find the festivities:

46° 20.773'N 124° 3.830'W is the location of the megafly on the Syd Snyder approach.

46° 21.088'N 124° 3.754'W is the location of the festival itself. This road is closed to traffic and has all kinds of vendors set up selling knick-knacks, food, beer, kites, etc.

46° 21.017'N 124° 3.572'W is the parking lot for the festival. Parking has been no charge, no time limit. However there is no overnight stays allowed without prior permission.

46° 20.741'N 124° 3.476'W is the location of the World Kite Museum. For those visiting, it is well worth the walk through!

46° 20.034'N 124° 3.275'W Chico's Pizza! The best durn Pizza you can find on the Washington coast.

I hope everyone finds this helpful!

Odd, I've been finding that flights into Portland are cheaper than Sea-Tac (flying in from Austin), by about $25-$50. It's been my experience in the past that flying into Seattle costs more... Sea-Tac charges airlines more to land there and that cost is passed onto the passengers. Or at least, they used to (10 years ago), things might have changed since then. But looking up flights to SEA and PDX from AUS on Kayak.com, I'm finding flights into PDX are a little less expensive- not by a huge margin, but definitely less.

Hi folks, just a heads up...

I've just ordered 100 silicone wrist bands like this:

debossed_price.jpg

10 different colors, 10 bands in each color:

1. Green
  2. Blue
  3. Red
  4. Orange
  5. Yellow
  6. Purple
  7. Black
  8. Gray
  9. Teal
  10. Brown

On the front it'll say "2010 WSIKF REV MEGA FLY" and on the back, "OFFICIAL PARTICIPANT", both phrases on the outside of the band.

Again, I'll be grouping folks into colored columns (for the grid) ahead of time and adding stragglers as they arrive... They wrist bands will all be adult size, but younger folks like Tristan can make it an arm band instead. ;)

So not only will this help us communicate and organize...

"Blue group, please clean up your body placement"

These will also make a neat memento for everyone who is involved in this exciting project, as you get to take yours home! :)

Hi folks, just a heads up...

I've just ordered 100 silicone wrist bands like this:

debossed_price.jpg

10 different colors, 10 bands in each color:

1. Green
  2. Blue
  3. Red
  4. Orange
  5. Yellow
  6. Purple
  7. Black
  8. Gray
  9. Teal
  10. Brown

On the front it'll say "2010 WSIKF REV MEGA FLY" and on the back, "OFFICIAL PARTICIPANT", both phrases on the outside of the band.

Again, I'll be grouping folks into colored columns (for the grid) ahead of time and adding stragglers as they arrive... They wrist bands will all be adult size, but younger folks like Tristan can make it an arm band instead. wink.gif

So not only will this help us communicate and organize...

"Blue group, please clean up your body placement"

These will also make a neat memento for everyone who is involved in this exciting project, as you get to take yours home! smile.gif

Hi John-

Suuweeeeeeeeeeeeeet!!!

It's going to be a great success!!!