100 Rev fly at 2010 WSIKF (Aug 16-22)

KiteLife

List updated, please let me know if I've missed anyone.

Also, two more things...

1. I'm not adding "maybes" to the list, so you'll need to re-post here once you've got confirmation on your side.

2. Bear in mind the NWSKL competitions scheduled for Sat/Sun (possibly Fri too)... With pilots 5 out for comps last year, we were missing exatly what we needed to break the record.

I dig comps, it's all good... But fact of the matter, you'll miss out on most of the mega fly action if you're competing... I need to know this, all part of the planning.

Hey John,

I do plan on competing this year. Nationals is on the west coast this year, and I hope to qualify. I will, of course, be with the group at all times except for the indoor competition and demos, quad line ballet, and quad line precision.

We'll do what we can for you at the clinic Howard, it's more within reach than you might guess.

I'll put you on the list, albeit tentatively. ;)

When will be your first full day at WSIKF?

==

Watty, fully understood...

They might make you judge, field direct or pit boss (typical in exchange for competing), that usually kills another 2-4 hours.

Also be prepared, AKA Nationals registration is typically $175-$185. ;)

Watty, fully understood...

They might make you judge, field direct or pit boss (typical in exchange for competing), that usually kills another 2-4 hours.

Also be prepared, AKA Nationals registration is typically $175-$185. ;)

Last year, they let my grandma take over my pit bossing while I was doing mega-flys, so that at least saves some time. I have to give her a big hug every time though XD

ye, saving up now. I don't plan on competing any more after this year (or I will at least take a break from competition), so I might as well do as much as I can.

smiley-blushing.gif I feel kinda embarassed since I was not referring to myself on the list, but the others. A lot of big names coming from around the world. I have met people in person from other forums, but maybe one or two at most. Never this many people from a single forum ever. Amazing list!

Bart

Any 1.5 model suitable for the wind conditions at the time of mega fly.

In higher winds, full sails will be an issue due to over-loading (jumpiness)... Having a vented would be useful. ;)

In lower winds, having light frames will be critical to stay in the air.

120' all the way, 90# or 150#, depending on the wind, but 90# should be fine across the board.

Shorter lengths will be allowed simply due to the space we need in the sky.

==

For pilots with a weak inverted hover, I'll typically need to place them in the upper-middle of outer columns as ball formations will generally have those kites facing straight right, left, or either of those facing slightly upward. ;)

I'll take a poll at the pre-flight meetings to identify strengths and weaknesses so everyone is used to the best of their ability, and I'm never gun shy about moving pilots around when we're setting up if they're struggling with a position.

Stronger together, I'll work to try and get everyone in a spot they can handle... I'll only ground someone if it's unavoidable.

Those that have worked with me in stuff like this before can attest, I'm generally very kind and fair, even if I have to make an "executive decision"... I do try and include everyone, going pretty far to make it as attainable as possible.

I'll send out email correspondence to the mailing list I have for mega fly pilots well in advance (60 days prior) to cover some essentials, but I should mention...

Bringing your own FRS/GMRS 2-way radio with headset is pretty critical since we may or may not have a sound system to use, if you can, bring 2 so there's a spare on the field... Last year, we had over 40 pilots with their own radios, made communicating pretty easy... This year, I'll have a stronger transmitting radio as my signal didn't always reach the end of the line last time.

For those coming from England (where FRS/GMRS is reserved for police, etc), try and have your local contacts bring some for you... We'll try and have some spares in the iQuad group, but no promises.

In the email correspondence, I'll go over ground rules, equipment needs, basic field conduct, schedule and other important goodies.

Bear in mind, I realize this is a collective effort by a bunch of fliers to do something really cool... Nobody is getting paid, so you're not "going to work" for anyone at WSIKF... I'll just send out the info, do your best to be familiar with the basics and we'll do our best to take care of everyone. ;)

• Like 1

For those coming from England (where FRS/GMRS is reserved for police, etc), try and have your local contacts bring some for you... We'll try and have some spares in the iQuad group, but no promises.

The Rev Riders will happily have available a few spares for our friends from across the way as we recently transitioned to new radios for ourselves!

Edited by quaa714

Nice planning as always John. Although Too Much Fun are a US team, we won't have radios with us either. With only 3 of us in the team, we have really never seen the need for them, so we have saved our money to spend elsewhere! Hopefully there will be enough, otherwise we will just have to listen really hard huh!!

BTW - although TMF and the Hoaths will be at WSIKF all week, we are making a family holiday of it too, so there will be some mid week days where we intend to investigate the surrounding area, etc. We'll be around for the big days though and will certainly be aiming to be part of the mega fly!

Keep up the great work John.

Thanks,

Mark

I'll send out email correspondence to the mailing list I have for mega fly pilots well in advance (60 days prior) to cover some essentials, but I should mention...

Bringing your own FRS/GMRS 2-way radio with headset is pretty critical since we may or may not have a sound system to use, if you can, bring 2 so there's a spare on the field... Last year, we had over 40 pilots with their own radios, made communicating pretty easy... This year, I'll have a stronger transmitting radio as my signal didn't always reach the end of the line last time.

In the email correspondence, I'll go over ground rules, equipment needs, basic field conduct, schedule and other important goodies.

Bear in mind, I realize this is a collective effort by a bunch of fliers to do something really cool... Nobody is getting paid, so you're not "going to work" for anyone at WSIKF... I'll just send out the info, do your best to be familiar with the basics and we'll do our best to take care of everyone. ;)

Sorry to beat something into the ground, but...

When you say "headsets" John, do you mean:

1. listen only? (I hope)

2. listen and push to talk? (awkward while in the sky)

3. VOX - hands-free automatic talk? (may light up the channel with all kinds of bad words, Yank and Brit :angry:)

But, if it's listen only, then just having a FRS/GMRS radio without a headset will allow people to listen to commands. Clip it to the breast pocket to keep the volume personal.

I understand the team leaders (column leaders, I think?) may need the 2-way connection. But most of us grunts only need to know what we should do --- OK, I really don't know how these flies work, so I may be asking stupid questions.

I can bring 3 radios - two with VOX capabilities, and an older but generally reliable with basic capabilities.

More ding-dang details:

1. For me, the headset should probably have on-the-ear rather than in-the-ear, since the latter earphones usually fall out at critical times (like 3 minutes after I stick them in my ear.)

2. Unfortunately, the headsets I have with my two multi-capable (Motorola) radios are in-the-ear. But if all we need are simple headphones, I will check if they will work in place of the full-function (listen-speak) headsets. Headphones are terribly cheap now-a-days.

I know we are a fair time from WSIKF, John, but some of these details will be important to ensuring that we are ready.

Again, I may have two FRS/GMRS radios that I can lend - assuming we can equip them properly.

Having raised these detail questions, I have to say that I am nevertheless really impressed with the thought and experience you have put into this, John. Thanks. :sign_kitelife:

Sorry to beat something into the ground, but...

When you say "headsets" John, do you mean:

1. listen only? (I hope)

2. listen and push to talk? (awkward while in the sky)

3. VOX - hands-free automatic talk? (may light up the channel with all kinds of bad words, Yank and Brit :angry:)

But, if it's listen only, then just having a FRS/GMRS radio without a headset will allow people to listen to commands. Clip it to the breast pocket to keep the volume personal.

I understand the team leaders (column leaders, I think?) may need the 2-way connection. But most of us grunts only need to know what we should do --- OK, I really don't know how these flies work, so I may be asking stupid questions.

I can bring 3 radios - two with VOX capabilities, and an older but generally reliable with basic capabilities.

More ding-dang details:

1. For me, the headset should probably have on-the-ear rather than in-the-ear, since the latter earphones usually fall out at critical times (like 3 minutes after I stick them in my ear.)

2. Unfortunately, the headsets I have with my two multi-capable (Motorola) radios are in-the-ear. But if all we need are simple headphones, I will check if they will work in place of the full-function (listen-speak) headsets. Headphones are terribly cheap now-a-days.

I know we are a fair time from WSIKF, John, but some of these details will be important to ensuring that we are ready.

Again, I may have two FRS/GMRS radios that I can lend - assuming we can equip them properly.

Having raised these detail questions, I have to say that I am nevertheless really impressed with the thought and experience you have put into this, John. Thanks. :sign_kitelife:

Well, last year, John was really the only one that needed to talk through the radio. If someone in the line happened to have some sort of problem, the person at the bottom could land quick and radio John. The majority of us just used regular headphones, and those that used full headsets never used the mic anyway.