Rev Team Manual

KiteLife

Here it is folks, draft 1 of what we hope will become an international playbook and manual for team flying!

Credits go to Mike Kory for the motivation, organization and manifestation for this resource... Proofing and support given by yours truly and iQuad.

ATTACHMENT REMOVED - NEW VERSION HERE

Bear in mind that this is the first of it's kind as far as we know... Please, feel encouraged to keep an ongoing discussion going in this section of the Rev forum, post any ideas or suggestions here and they will be considered!

I will say, it's easiest for all if each topic or major suggestion is placed in it's own thread.

Edited by Barresi
Revision made, see version 1.1

Though of course I hope this manual is useful for teams, and I expect team fliers to be main contributors, my reasons for starting this manual weren't for formal Rev teams. I live about 150 miles from the nearest quad fliers so I'm not on a team.

Part of what makes Rev flying so cool is that Rev fliers can stand shoulder to shoulder while flying. They can spend hours laughing and dodging each other's kites. The ability to stop on a dime and fly in reverse makes this possible and is one of the things that distinguish Revs from duals.

This time of year, I'm at a festival almost every weekend and I run into quad-heads at the festivals. Many are fliers I've met before, some are new friends.

It's great fun to form impromptu teams with the fliers and we have a blast. To enable all Rev fliers to do this, I came up with the idea of this manual.

If all Rev fliers know a basic set of figures and use the same terminology, anytime two or more fliers meet, they can be a team. The only other requirement is for each flier to have the same length lines. I chose 120' because it seems to be commonly used and works well in teams of two to 16 (that's as big a group as I've flown in so far).

I'm looking forward to more contributions to the manual: corrections to my diagrams, some specific 2-person moves might be nice, additional team figures, maybe some good "follow" moves that work well, and discussion of what's already in the manual.

Post ideas here in the forum, and when we come to some sort of agreement, I'll add new information to the manual.

You don't have to be on a team to enjoy the team flying experience. Acquire a set of 120' lines. Print this manual and stick it in your kite bag. When you meet another Rev flier at a park, beach, or festival, you are ready to have the time of your life and make new friends. Enjoy!

Here it is folks, draft 1 of what we hope will become an international playbook and manual for team flying!

Credits go to Mike Kory for the motivation, organization and manifestation for this resource... Proofing and support given by yours truly and iQuad.

Bear in mind that this is the first of it's kind as far as we know... Please, feel encouraged to keep an ongoing discussion going in this section of the Rev forum, post any ideas or suggestions here and they will be considered!

I will say, it's easiest for all if each topic or major suggestion is placed in it's own thread.

Excellent John and Mike!

History: The basis of the "Benefit" was developed by Felix Mottram of The Decorators at Scheveningen, Holland in June, 1996. He came up with the movement at the breakfast table with the Decorators. I had joined them for breakfast as I was invited to fly with them the whole day. The team members that day were: Felix Mottram, Mark Eustace, Andy Preston and myself.

The movement was called initially "The Felix" and was flown for the first time that day with Andy as team leader.

Part of what makes Rev flying so cool is that Rev fliers can stand shoulder to shoulder while flying. They can spend hours laughing and dodging each other's kites. The ability to stop on a dime and fly in reverse makes this possible and is one of the things that distinguish Revs from duals.

Mike, I have to agree as a total newbie quad flyer. It was great fun to flounder (I was doing the floundering) around with you, Ken, Fool, and Ben at Airwaves. Standing in a line, even though I was struggling to do the basics, flying in some "formation" as it were, was a REAL KICK!

Now, to practice, practice, practice!

String

We've identified one thing that will need correction in the manual... Page 8, Pinwheel.

Generally, unless I'm flying with only top pilots, I won't send anyone flying upwards in reverse.

Both the "yes" and "no" diagrams have one leg of the pinwheel doing this.

The move is still correct, but for learning's sake, we'll be correcting it shortly.

For the manual, if you take the "no" diagram and simply switch ALL kites 180 degrees, it will now be correct...

So, those kites swinging up are flying forward, and those swinging down are flying in reverse (with gravity on their side).

Yes, Hats off to Mike for throwing the manual together. We were out in Oswego, IL. this past weekend with a few other IKE members getting our feet wet with the team flying. Had groups of people stopping by to watch us trying out the moves all day long. B) What a BLAST!!!!

Looking forward to doing move team flying with others at other fests thought out the summer!!

StringDriver it was a blast flying shoulder to shoulder with you out in Airwaves and looking forward to hooking up with you again out in G.H. Michigan in less then a month!! ;):D

Dave we avoided the word spin as this implies some degree of speed in the figure. Keep coming up with the ideas though. The names of moves are harder to come up with than the moves! :lol:

But, to clear up some confusion on my part, is what's shown in the manual (with 3 of the 6 moving in reverse) still classed as a pinwheel move? I'd felt (perhaps wrongly!) that a pinwheel always had half the kites facing 180 degrees apart from the other half, with all moving forward.

:)

That's a good idea for a move too. It would be easier for fliers who are uncomfortable with reverse flying. Doing a 'pinwheel' that way would allow more beginners to join in the group/team flies. I'd like to see more moves like that.

It's like two teams of three doing a radar, one team going clockwise, one team going counter-clockwise.

It needs a name though....

There is no name needed for that move, because the leader sets up the kite positions!

Vertical line facing right, back three face left, pinwheel clockwise 90!

Still a pinwheel, dictated by the flier positions.

Hoath or Lummas, comments?

But, to clear up some confusion on my part, is what's shown in the manual (with 3 of the 6 moving in reverse) still classed as a pinwheel move? I'd felt (perhaps wrongly!) that a pinwheel always had half the kites facing 180 degrees apart from the other half, with all moving forward.

:)

Dave, we describe any move that rotates around the centre of the shape as a "pin wheel". Thus it is possible to "pin wheel" a box, a Mercedes sign etc etc.

Yes you are right having everyone fly forward is a good way of easing in the new guys (sorry, you got thrown in the deep end!) The alternative is to have everyone facing the same way with the kites in the top half reversing towards the bottom of the group. This, of course, sends the others flying towards the leading edge. In this way you can repeat the move clockwise and ANTIclock wise without the need to turn any kites.

Here endeth todays sermon :P

Dave, we describe any move that rotates around the centre of the shape as a "pin wheel". Thus it is possible to "pin wheel" a box, a Mercedes sign etc etc.

I kind of like calling any move where your rotate around the center a "twist" since it twists the group's lines. Could even call for "one twist" to move one position, or 3 twists to move 3 positions. Eg. in a 4 kite box, moving from the lower right to the upper left would be a 2 twist. (would have to call clockwise or what not too).

What do other teams call this move?

There is no name needed for that move, because the leader sets up the kite positions!

True, but it might make for an easier shorthand when discussing a routine. It's a matter of striking a balance between too much vocabulary to learn vs long explanations of a common routine. I'm not arguing for either way here, just pointing it out.