Rev ll vs Rev ll vent

kimbo

Question

Wanting add a Rev ll to my quiver (if two is a quiver) I flew a Rev ll standard today in semi light wind and liked it. I was told when the wind picks up this thing really takes off quick.

I want some feedback on getting a vent thinking the sail may be to small and won't make that much difference???????

Any ideas welcome.

Thanks

11 answers to this question

I have 4 rev 2`s and have vented one of them myself. I`m a crappy sewer....sewist??...but it (venting) does make a difference....mainly smoothing out flight in gusty winds.

I took the plunge after getting my first full vented 1.5 and seeing how well it handled wind gusts and reduced the pull compared to a regular 1.5. I liked the results so much I vented one of my 3 rev 1`s.... All this about 4 yrs ago and they are holding up fine.

Already suggested is to use longer (and sometimes heavier) lines.....another thing is I fly the 2`s with the regular 1.5 handles and when the wind picks up I sometimes switch to the original smaller rev 2 handles.

I was/am NOT interested in upping the wind range of the kite(s) as I`m not a fan of high winds at all. But I am interested in lessening the pull and smoothing the flight when the wind picks up.

So basically get both vented and full sails.....you probably/hopefully will one day anyway......

bt

I have 4 rev 2`s and have vented one of them myself. I`m a crappy sewer....sewist??...but it (venting) does make a difference....mainly smoothing out flight in gusty winds.

I took the plunge after getting my first full vented 1.5 and seeing how well it handled wind gusts and reduced the pull compared to a regular 1.5. I liked the results so much I vented one of my 3 rev 1`s.... All this about 4 yrs ago and they are holding up fine.

Already suggested is to use longer (and sometimes heavier) lines.....another thing is I fly the 2`s with the regular 1.5 handles and when the wind picks up I sometimes switch to the original smaller rev 2 handles.

I was/am NOT interested in upping the wind range of the kite(s) as I`m not a fan of high winds at all. But I am interested in lessening the pull and smoothing the flight when the wind picks up.

So basically get both vented and full sails.....you probably/hopefully will one day anyway......

bt

Kind of what I figured about smoothing things out. I have a 1.5 full vent, and a B-series full sail. The wind here in N. Dallas where I fly most is "dirty" most of the time but can get "blastin" fast at times. Usually break out the Prism Micron when that happens or a small foil. I know that might be a "four letter word" here, sorry.

I may just stick to my SLE vent on long lines for now and spend my hard (not yet earned) cash on a SUL for those many "no wind" days we get around here.

Thanks for responding

I too flew a friend's Rev II and knew I needed one. I asked for and got a ton of advice and good reasons to get at least 3 of them for all winds! As that wasn't very realistic for me. I felt that what I was enjoying about the II was the speed and extremely fast responsekid_devlish.gif (twitchy). I also loved the lack of pull even on the very windy days. For me it came down to why get this hot and crazy Rev II and tame it with vents? Next were rods. About that time Rev came out with the 3 rod, 3 wrap leading edge option and I knew that was it. When it gets too windy for a full sail Rev II then it is too windy for me to be on the beach. We all have different needs so I am quite sure which ever combination you get you will love it.

Thanks Denny;

Not the first time I've heard "one of each"" Ahhhhhh!!! Of course one of each, I'm a kite junkie. I want one of each in "every color they come in"!!! That's my problem. Well not really but you get my point.

Anyone got a tip on hitting the lotto??

I'll get one more of "something" I'm sure.

Sad but true.

I agree that vents deal with lumpy wind well.

However I too like the speed and twitchyness of the Rev 2.

I also like the pull of my 3 stack of 2's.

Get a standard I would think, will buck the higher winds just fine, and less of an arm stretching experience in higher wind than the 1.5 full sail.

Think about 50mph is highest wind I have had a 2 up in. Did put 2 leading edges in it though.

Didnt fly it long though.

It popped a bungee through the bottom of the sail, soon fixed though.

Edited by Baloo

Wanting add a Rev ll to my quiver (if two is a quiver) I flew a Rev ll standard today in semi light wind and liked it. I was told when the wind picks up this thing really takes off quick.

I want some feedback on getting a vent thinking the sail may be to small and won't make that much difference???????

Any ideas welcome.

Thanks

I show my home made vented "Rev II" style kite, with 6 mm at the leading edge and vertical roods. Really fly very well with strong winds. It is slow, very controllable.

Built with Ripstop remains and vinyl mesh, is a bit strange but flies very well.

Bst. Rgds.

IMG_0579.JPG?height=200&width=150

Edited by Kitelife

I agree that vents deal with lumpy wind well.

However I too like the speed and twitchyness of the Rev 2.

I also like the pull of my 3 stack of 2's.

Get a standard I would think, will buck the higher winds just fine, and less of an arm stretching experience in higher wind than the 1.5 full sail.

Think about 50mph is highest wind I have had a 2 up in. Did put 2 leading edges in it though.

Didnt fly it long though.

It popped a bungee through the bottom of the sail, soon fixed though.

Baloo, I agree with the 3-stack of Rev 2's. A 3-stack of 1.5's pulls too hard for me (I'm a little guy and too old). But the Rev 2's are a lot of fun. And look great in the sky also.

Doug

post-8-126210857899_thumb.jpg

Hi Guys-

These "little suckers" are a blast! I haven't flown it with vents; should be cool. You want fast (with very quick, but subtle inputs, too) use short lines, like 25 feet (10m) or so. Now, that's fun!!!

Today would be a great day for it; gusting over 40 mph, but the windchill is around zero, so I'm going to stay nice and warm!

Hi Guys-

These "little suckers" are a blast! I haven't flown it with vents; should be cool. You want fast (with very quick, but subtle inputs, too) use short lines, like 25 feet (10m) or so. Now, that's fun!!!

Today would be a great day for it; gusting over 40 mph, but the windchill is around zero, so I'm going to stay nice and warm!

I'm "all in" on flying a fast and "twitchy" kite. A real contrast to what I get out slow glides and long end to end of the window movement.

Getting ready to "pull the trigger" and a II.

Thanks for all the help.

Fly on!!

I'm "all in" on flying a fast and "twitchy" kite. A real contrast to what I get out slow glides and long end to end of the window movement.

Getting ready to "pull the trigger" and a II.

Thanks for all the help.

Fly on!!

A good way to improve your 1.5 precision and smoothness is to fly a II. When you get precise and smooth on a II a 1.5 is a snap. Clock work on a II is a thing to master.