International Register of 'Revolution' Team Fliers

Felix

I wonder if it would be useful to set up a register of potential participants in large scale events, internationally?

I have also 'wondered' if potential participants would subscribe to a small organisation which might be set up to 'further their interests'?

Circular enquiry, I know, but interested to know if there would be any substantial response.

Felix

Realizing that budgets and availability being in flux from year to year, I know iQuad would be interested in both a register and a dedicated organization.

Is it something that the 'Revolution' company could/should undertake or should it be a* 'completely' independent 'dedicated organisation'?

Felix

Edit a*

Edited by Felix Mottram

Independent, without a shadow of a doubt.

It's a flier undertaking, not a factory undertaking.

It takes every day fliers to know the subject.

That is my feeling also, but obviously there are strings attached...

Sticking with the factory product would be one that looms large immediately.

Felix

Bear in mind Scott, there are a few teams out there in the world who fly on 'Rev style' kites they made for themselves, either for budgetary or design tweaking reasons...

At the end of the day, Revolution has become a standard, I'm certain we will continue to maintain that standard as you see it now and beyond.

There's no implication of oppression or exclusivity here, I encourage you not to let the theme we're discussing change what you know of this community. ;)

Some specificity is appropriate with such an undertaking, assuredly... Will such an organization turn you (or Flic) down if you showed up with non-factory kites?

I won't even answer that, as you know the answer.

Fly for love.

Bear in mind Scott, there are a few teams out there in the world who fly on 'Rev style' kites they made for themselves, either for budgetary or design tweaking reasons...

At the end of the day, Revolution has become a standard, I'm certain we will continue to maintain that standard as you see it now and beyond.

There's no implication of oppression or exclusivity here, I encourage you not to let the theme we're discussing change what you know of this community. ;)

Some specificity is appropriate with such an undertaking, assuredly... Will such an organization turn you (or Flic) down if you showed up with non-factory kites?

I won't even answer that, as you know the answer.

Fly for love.

If the objective is to 'fly together' team fliers have an interest in using 'standard' kit. At a couple of events this year we flew Rev 1 and Rev 1.5 kites together in a mega team so there is some scope for adopting different kit as well... (16 JMH sails looked very cool!)

Felix

The need for a standard is two-fold. Everybody in a team fly wants that fly to go well and be fun to be a part of; if somebody's kite has inferior flying characteristics then the odds of a mishap go up. Also, an inferior kite will be viewed by the public as an inferior rev and that's plain bad for business. As Rev fliers we need Rev to continue to look good.

All that being said, I understand that the most efficient standard would be to say this is "Revolution" organization. The next level of team standards is much more problematic, and that's ability. for example: A badkite in JB's hands is still likely to fly better than his kite in my hands (and I'm not particularly bad)

Just some more food for thought.

The need for a standard is two-fold. Everybody in a team fly wants that fly to go well and be fun to be a part of; if somebody's kite has inferior flying characteristics then the odds of a mishap go up. Also, an inferior kite will be viewed by the public as an inferior rev and that's plain bad for business. As Rev fliers we need Rev to continue to look good.

All that being said, I understand that the most efficient standard would be to say this is "Revolution" organization. The next level of team standards is much more problematic, and that's ability. for example: A badkite in JB's hands is still likely to fly better than his kite in my hands (and I'm not particularly bad)

Just some more food for thought.

For the International Register of 'Revolution' Team Fliers we need fliers who have compatible kit.

We need fliers who can comfortably 'own their hover' and have no thoughts of having 'superior' capability or equipment... <grins>

Another twist maybe?

Felix

Can we have some clarification here please Felix? Are you talking about Register of teams, if so I can’t see the point surely you all know who you are, or are you talking about a register of individuals to join a potential mega team?

If it’s the latter, I’m wondering if you could be making a rod for your own (or somebody else’s) back with this one. A mega fly needs a leader and surely the leader needs to be free to be able to vet and have confidence in the abilities of all those in the team. I don’t want to say too much on the subject for fear of causing offence and reopening old grievances, but there is a danger that anyone accepted onto any register will consider they have a licence to fly.

I'm not saying any register is necessarily a bad idea but I think it is important that expectations are carefully managed. I think/hope that I am aware of my limitations, I know there are others out there who are not.

Edited by Stone in Shoe Bob

If I understand correctly, the idea behind such a register is to identify our global pool of capable team fliers.

Correct Felix?

So I'll ask the next question before anyone else, and provide my my thoughts.

Who decides if someone is an able team pilot that can aptly handle mega flies?

To this, the quick answer, would be the panel selected/formed to organize and document such a register, ideally a panel of good folks (i.e. Felix, Hoath, myself and others who have the knowledge and experience to LEAD such mega team undertakings)... They are proven opinions, generally fair, and as long as there is a broad enough representation of geography and personalities on such a panel, it would be fair, if not sometimes rather executive.

My 2 cents.

Can we have some clarification here please Felix? Are you talking about Register of teams, if so I can’t see the point surely you all know who you are, or are you talking about a register of individuals to join a potential mega team?

If it’s the latter, I’m wondering if you could be making a rod for your own (or somebody else’s) back with this one. A mega fly needs a leader and surely the leader needs to be free to be able to vet and have confidence in the abilities of all those in the team. I don’t want to say too much on the subject for fear of causing offence and reopening old grievances, but there is a danger that anyone accepted onto any register will consider they have a licence to fly.

I'm not saying any register is necessarily a bad idea but I think it is important that expectations are carefully managed. I think/hope that I am aware of my limitations, I know there are others out there who are not.

Bob,

It was in the title 'Revolution' Team Fliers. The teams, as you intimate, are quite capable of looking after themselves.

The issues further down the line are for discussion. Again though, the title says it. A register of fliers capable of team flying.

The initial issue is finding a line of communication to as many 'team fliers' as is possible. A 'mailing list' that goes to the 'inbox' of every individual who considers themselves capable seems to me to be a 'practical' starting point.

Felix

Does the idea I outlined make sense to you Bob, or up for debate?

In my experience, at some point, someone has to make the call, and it's impossible to please everyone all the time.

However, by establishing such a register, I also believe it will help distribute more team knowledge worldwide, so while someone might be politely declined from the register from time to time, the channels, support and encouragement are in place to learn the standards that will allow them to succeed.

Consider it faculty, whereas we'll always have students coming up and surpassing the ranks. :)

(btw - great topic Felix - carry on)

If I understand correctly, the idea behind such a register is to identify our global pool of capable team fliers.

Correct Felix?

So I'll ask the next question before anyone else, and provide my my thoughts.

Who decides if someone is an able team pilot that can aptly handle mega flies?

To this, the quick answer, would be the panel selected/formed to organize and document such a register, ideally a panel of good folks (i.e. Felix, Hoath, myself and others who have the knowledge and experience to LEAD such mega team undertakings)... They are proven opinions, generally fair, and as long as there is a broad enough representation of geography and personalities on such a panel, it would be fair, if not sometimes rather executive.

My 2 cents.

JB,

A register to identify our global pool of potentially capable (OK Mega) team fliers would be the objective at the outset. Many organisations 'advocating professional standards' start this way as far as I am aware.

Discussion of capability would be secondary to individuals 'putting themselves forward' knowing that scrutiny would take place and that 'critically', the leader of an event would have complete discretion on the day and that the individuals would be bound to accept any decision by that leader.

You know that my personal hope is that one day a 100 person team will be possible. I am interested to establish if there is sufficient interest in such a project but obviously keen to see Mega Team events develop along the way.

Felix

Discussion of capability would be secondary to individuals 'putting themselves forward' knowing that scrutiny would take place and that 'critically', the leader of an event would have complete discretion on the day and that the individuals would be bound to accept any decision by that leader.

Gospel, pure gospel... 100% spot on.

Gospel, pure gospel... 100% spot on.

JB,

Glad you agree on that! <grins>

However, I do not yet hear 'everyone else' chiming in here as well, and that was the logic for starting the topic.

I hope that we do get an indication of interested fliers in due course!

Felix

If I'm right Felix, there probably won't be a lot of heat on this thread...

I'm positive this is a case of "if you build it, they will come", really positive.

JB,

I'll allow you that and then suggest that an executive decision should be taken on that basis. Let's build it!

As I mentioned, up-thread, a mailing list of 'potential' participants would be a possible starting place.

Felix

I would say that might be cart before the horse... Before opening the doors, I'd say a standard needs to be established and published somehow.

Not only a charter statement, but the basic guidelines by which it would operate.

Also, to gather up the folks who would best represent the world as acting panel members of said organization.

Once the head and torso are assembled, then we'd add arms and legs.

Make sense?

Also, perhaps a dedicated section of this forum, hosting said discussions?

Set to so all can read, but most categories in the section can only be posted to by those "registered" and acknowledged by the panel.

In addition, have one "waiting room" section in the same area where anyone can post, challenge or question.

Last but not least, one section accessible only to the panel, for internal discussions.