home made handles

kimbo

Question

This seems odd to ask but since rev handles are so simple, has anyone made their own handles??

Can't be that difficult. I am going to try it, maybe using cork instead for foam. Also want to try trying the pigtails directly to the rods w/o hogring.

Any thoughts??

kimbo

This seems odd to ask but since rev handles are so simple, has anyone made their own handles??

Can't be that difficult. I am going to try it, maybe using cork instead for foam. Also want to try trying the pigtails directly to the rods w/o hogring.

Any thoughts??

kimbo

These started out as homemade, now are offered by Revolution as a upgrade handle: LINKY scroll to bottom of page

You can make your own, but I would not suggest using cork, probably would not hold up too long. Really depends on the type and grade of cork used.

These started out as homemade, now are offered by Revolution as a upgrade handle: LINKY scroll to bottom of page

You can make your own, but I would not suggest using cork, probably would not hold up too long. Really depends on the type and grade of cork used.

Also, you can get Walt's wonderful Pro No Snag Revolution Quad handles at The Kite Shoppe :)

http://www.thekiteshoppe.com/accessories/h...aps/cat_37.html

Any thoughts??

kimbo

I've never made my own, but I have modded all of my normal handles to get rid of the triangle clip thing. All you do is take off the end cap, push a dry-wall anchor into the tube, then put a screw into the anchor. You can then tie the pigtails to the screw, and tighten the screw most the way, and put the end cap over the top of it all. it looks real slick, and got rid of the squeak coming from my flame handles :D

I've never made my own, but I have modded all of my normal handles to get rid of the triangle clip thing. All you do is take off the end cap, push a dry-wall anchor into the tube, then put a screw into the anchor. You can then tie the pigtails to the screw, and tighten the screw most the way, and put the end cap over the top of it all. it looks real slick, and got rid of the squeak coming from my flame handles :D

Getting the components together for my idea on handles. Tubing and I bolts. Cost 6 bucs. Looking for some foam grip/handle material somewhere.

Watty's handles are sweet. May end up going that route.

Someone sent me a pm for clarification on this mod, so I made a small clip explaining it for any one who is interested.

http://www.vimeo.com/7746634

BTW, I'm not taking credit for this mod. John Mason showed this to me, and I think he got the idea from someone else... so yea... not my idea.

Edited by Watty

Someone sent me a pm for clarification on this mod, so I made a small clip explaining it for any one who is interested.

BTW, I'm not taking credit for this mod. John Mason showed this to me, and I think he got the idea from someone else... so yea... not my idea.

As always Watty, simple and straight forward.

What size anchors and screws did you use?

As always Watty, simple and straight forward.

What size anchors and screws did you use?

Uhm, I donno the number or anything, but I just took a dis-assembled handle into the hardware store with me and tried different ones until I found one that fit right.

But one problem I came across was that the inside of the tubing at the end was not sanded down or anything, there was a bit of metal hanging into the tube that I had to scrape out in order for the anchors to fit correctly.

Just finished my first set of handles. They turned out OK. I used two part putty epoxy to keep the eye bolts in place.The stuff like clay. It seems to be holding, but a flight will surely tell. I would use gel epoxy if I do another set. Easier to get down the tubing.

They are real light since I used 3/8" tubing over the solid rod material.

I used some old foam pipe insulation but will replace it with eva foam tubing when I get some.

The pigtails are what I am not too sure about. I made the knots 1" apart for both brakes and gas lines. I opted for 3 knots on both lines, but kept the tag end long for a 4th.

Any input on my set-up??

Just need some wind now to give em a go.

Kimbo

Just finished my first set of handles. They turned out OK. I used two part putty epoxy to keep the eye bolts in place.The stuff like clay. It seems to be holding, but a flight will surely tell. I would use gel epoxy if I do another set. Easier to get down the tubing.

They are real light since I used 3/8" tubing over the solid rod material.

I used some old foam pipe insulation but will replace it with eva foam tubing when I get some.

The pigtails are what I am not too sure about. I made the knots 1" apart for both brakes and gas lines. I opted for 3 knots on both lines, but kept the tag end long for a 4th.

Any input on my set-up??

Just need some wind now to give em a go.

Kimbo

Any pictures?

I believe it was Stone in shoe Bob ?

I believe it was Stone in shoe Bob ?

Thanks Gary, yes I believe I was the first to do this.

A few points to note though.

1. I always make a point of recommending plastic wall plugs with a slight shoulder and screws that are not threaded all the way to the head, to reduce the risk of wear to the pigtails. I don’t know how significant a risk it is but I saw it as a potential problem and avoided it.

2. The modification effectively extends the handles, very slightly. This is not a problem at the bottom of the handles but I found it made quite a significant difference at the top, as it affected my grip. So I reversed the mod an refitted the mettle clips to the tops.

I made the "Stone in Shoe Bob" plastic anchor mod to my 2 sets (bottom ends only) last week. I found #8-10 x 1.25" anchors and "10 x 1.5" pan head screws with ~1/2" of smooth shaft below the head. These came from my local Lowes home store. The only challenge was cleaning up the burrs left at the end of the tube and at the holes made for the rings. The results look good and I am anxious to get some flying time soon on them. Yipee, no snags for around $3.00 investment.

Thanks Bob for coming up with this solution, Kairusan for the description and photos in this thread

http://www.revkites.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=2888, and Watty for the reminder and video of this approach.

1. I always make a point of recommending plastic wall plugs with a slight shoulder and screws that are not threaded all the way to the head, to reduce the risk of wear to the pigtails. I don't know how significant a risk it is but I saw it as a potential problem and avoided it.

2. The modification effectively extends the handles, very slightly. This is not a problem at the bottom of the handles but I found it made quite a significant difference at the top, as it affected my grip. So I reversed the mod an refitted the mettle clips to the tops.

1. I always make a point of recommending plastic wall plugs with a slight shoulder and screws that are not threaded all the way to the head, to reduce the risk of wear to the pigtails. I don't know how significant a risk it is but I saw it as a potential problem and avoided it.

Hi Bob,

I was reading about your handle modifications, using the drywall anchors and the screws, which would enable one to rid themselves of those annoying metal rings, on the ends of the handles. A while back, Watty Watson sent me a video, that he obviously put together, to help me understand his explanation of this procedure. I thought it worked like a charm. Now, I see, where you have now, gone back and reversed that modification, on the upper ends of your handles, and reattached the metal clips. I believe you said this was due to the additional handle length, which is created, by this particular modification.

Now, I've got a stupid question. If this additional length is a problem, why not just cut off the top end of the handle tubing, maybe .25" to .50", or whatever seems to be right, and put you modification back as it was. I mean, that is such a clean and trouble free modification, and those clips (hog rings) are really a pain. My thoughts would be to cut the tubing, immediately below the holes, where the metal clips were mounted, and then reinsert your anchor and screws, as you had previously done. This should put you back, very close to the original handle length (+/- 1/8"). Surely you've got several sets of handles, just lying around, that you could experiment with. I hope I haven't misunderstood your point, but I think I'm hearing what you were saying correctly. Just my thoughts on the issue.

Also, as for me, I suppose that I'm not quite as tuned in on the Rev, as you may be, and obviously, I haven't been flying long enough, for that small amount of additional length, to be a bother. Maybe one day, I'll get to that point, but for now, I'm just very happy, with your idea. Thanks for sharing it !

Now for my additional two cents - For those of you, who don't want to go to this extreme, of cutting the tubing, and would just like to use the anchor and screw idea, I have modified several sets, with very little trouble, however, if you have access, a few tools, other than a screw driver, it will make this job much easier and neater. WARNING - Do be careful, when removing the rubber covers, from the ends of the handles, because most of the handles that I have seen, have a very sharp and nasty burr, around the holes, where the metal clips were attached. You can see where the holes were drilled in the tube, so beware. Once I carefully removed the metal clips, and the rubber end caps, I took the handles over to the grinding wheel, where I smoothed down the burrs around the clip holes, and then polished the ends of the tube with a rotating brass bristled, wire brush. You could probably accomplish the same effect, with a little elbow work, a flat file, and some emery cloth. Just be careful. In fact, the file is probably all that is really necessary, if you will be careful, and try not to scar the exposed part of your handles, while filing the burr. A padded vice, would be quite helpful, for holding the handle steady, while you file it smooth. You just need to remove that sharp metal burr around the small holes. I also found it necessary to ream out the ends, of most of the tubing, as there was some kind of hard residue, just inside the end. I don't know what that was, but it definitely needed to be removed. Either way, it just makes for an easier job, once the grinding, polishing, and reaming is done. Then it was just a matter of forcing the plastic anchors (with shoulders), down into the ends of the tubing, and inserting a #10 stainless steel screw, leaving just a small gap under the head of the screws, for the pigtails to be looped around. This can be seen clearly, in Watty's video, which can be found here http://www.vimeo.com/7746634 Also, I'll try to post a couple of pics, of one of my latest modified handles.(see below)

post-2742-1260890465_thumb.jpg post-2742-1260890479_thumb.jpg

post-2742-1260890492_thumb.jpg post-2742-1260890506_thumb.jpg

Edited by Reef Runner

What are all those knots in the bits of string about RR? (sorry my stupid idea of a joke, just popped into my mind when I looked at your pictures)

They look good and neat. Might have a go at messing about with some of my handles.

Thanks for the pictures.

What are all those knots in the bits of string about RR? (sorry my stupid idea of a joke, just popped into my mind when I looked at your pictures)

They look good and neat. Might have a go at messing about with some of my handles.

Thanks for the pictures.

Thanks, I think ? :wacko: or not ? :blink: All cudos should go to "Stone in Shoe Bob" and "Watty"..........I just follow instructions well !!

Edited by Reef Runner