fatal damage

tomweber

Question

i purchased a rev kite blast nearly one year ago from windofchange.com.

Some weeks ago, the seams ripped at both sides between the black and transparent rag. I flew this kite last year and this year only a few hours. The wind was good, not too strong, below 5 bft and there werent any crashes. The bars are all well, only the seams and rag ripped off at both sides. Of course I assembled everything right, the blast was perfectly flying for some hourse and very good controlable. The damage occured during the flight in the air, I could even watch and hear the sail ripping .

I have no idea how this can happen.

Some weeks ago, I returend the kite (only the sail) by mail to windofchange (Kent Kingston) who send it to you. I was in a hope of a waarenty problem, because in my eyes it looks like a material problem maybe oft he seems or sail. Unfortunaly, Kent informed me that the only solution will be selleing me a new sail for over 130US$.

I am a bit unlucky with that solution, as i mentioned above, the sail damaged during flight. I have a lot of kites, also from rev, I had never a failure like this. I hope we can find any solution, because flying the blast was so much fun.

Please, also note that I flew a second rev blast in exact the same conditions, which did not show any damages at all ! (I bought two rev blast from windofchange)

Many regards,

Tom

Not knowing the blast very well, but looking at the way it ripped in reference to the panel layout. It appears to have had a rough meeting with the ground.

Was the leading edge broken?

Maybe not a QC issue at all then?

It is interesting to hear of such claims given our practical experience...

Felix

Not knowing the blast very well, but looking at the way it ripped in reference to the panel layout. It appears to have had a rough meeting with the ground.

Was the leading edge broken?

Looks like defective material to me. I can't imagine what the kite could have possibly come into contact with during moderate use that would cause a multi-point sail failure like this, especially with no rod damage of any kind.

Hi and welcome to the Forum TomW[my Dads TomW btw].Sorry for your loss.

The only time ive seen a kite,any kite ,damaged like that personally.

Was when i got a revolution stuck up a flagpole and had to Tear it away from the pole.I gave the kite away to the Lad that rescued it.He had it fixed.

The Blast Looks realy badly damaged.Hard to beleive that just normal use would cause such damage.

Also the kite being flown some Twelve months previous and showing no signs of sail failure previously.Obviously means QC couldnt have spotted the problem as ther wasnt any then[.You dont mention you spotted any sail issues or mentions any signs of problems when youve flown it previously.

Kents has a mass of experience with the Blast.Hes also very fair to deal with.

Strange,

I hope you find a solution

BRIAN...

It looks like the seam tore out in flight. Then, if you continued to fly it, the flapping edge might fray like that. It looks like the flap then tore out near the bottom and that bit tied itself in a knot flapping in the wind.

Many years ago, I had a Blast that tore a seam where the mylar joins the fabric. I was flying the kite without much brake and the trailing edge would flap and it eventually tore. After getting it repaired, I was careful to fly with the sail more fully loaded. I think my problem was a combination of a sewing deficiency plus pilot error. That's the only time I've seen a Revolution sail rip, and I've seen quite a lot of Revs and Rev fliers over the years.

The Rev is an excellent, quality, product. But things can slip through quality control, even if it's one in a million.

This is Ben from Revolution and I do have questions on this one cause for that kite to rip there makes me wonder what happened,

that is a strange one for sure.... I am a Blast flier myself and the only time I've seen that type of rip is from getting it caught or

leading edge dives into the ground..... If I thought this was a material failure I'd replace it right off but I do not like the way this is

ripped in so many places and the not ripped length wise only up and down. When material fails in rips long ways because the wind

forms a pocket against the skin or it sags, granted not always but 99 % of the time. Then for the panel above to also fail has me

scratching my head for sure because when the bottom panel failed the load would be removed from the wing hence the top panel

would have no pressure on it. You have a new one on me on this one, I just do not know where I stand cause in every case where

there was even a chance of a factory issue I have taken care of it but this kite is at best questionable. What I have done is call Kent

at Wind of Change and will see first hand what I think and what can be done for you. This statement has nothing to do with any one

person but if you can get this type of service from China let me know so I can sign up, also we all know who and what I'm talking

about so please lets not try to pretend we do not, enough is enough..... Ben ([email protected]) or (619-750-8770)

post-35-1258328721_thumb.jpg

Sorry to hear about this happening Tom.

And fair offer Ben, I am sure that if you and Kent get a good look at the kite you can form a better idea of what you think happened.

Rev and thier suppliers have always been good and fair to me, I have nothing but praise for them.

Hope it can be sorted out happily.

It looks like the seam tore out in flight. Then, if you continued to fly it, the flapping edge might fray like that. It looks like the flap then tore out near the bottom and that bit tied itself in a knot flapping in the wind.

Many years ago, I had a Blast that tore a seam where the mylar joins the fabric. I was flying the kite without much brake and the trailing edge would flap and it eventually tore. After getting it repaired, I was careful to fly with the sail more fully loaded. I think my problem was a combination of a sewing deficiency plus pilot error. That's the only time I've seen a Revolution sail rip, and I've seen quite a lot of Revs and Rev fliers over the years.

The Rev is an excellent, quality, product. But things can slip through quality control, even if it's one in a million.

I was shown a similar thing on a Serpent Delta Tail.Didnt look as ,,,clawed at though,,,[for want of a better choice of words].The flap had Knotted it and frayed it realy badly.The kite had been flying for ages though without anyone realy paying much attention.Until it was brought down and the damage was done.

Good Luck TomW.Everyone hates to see a badly injured kite

BRIAN...

Tom, This is Kent from A Wind Of Change. Myself and Revolution have been working with you on this sail for about a month previously to your posting, I am not sure why you have chosen now to post your issues with the forum after I had thought we have already worked out a deal for you on a replacement sail.

As you have stated above, we (mostly Revolution) came to an agreement to replace your torn sail with a brand new sail for only $130.00. This sail is the brand new 2009 Blast sail with the Bazzar design, not the older design as your original sail. The replacement price of the sail is well below normal cost and I though it was a very nice gesture on Revolutions part to do this.

The problem with calling the damage on your kite a quality control or even a fabric issue is that the damage is the same damage that we have seen from Blasts coming into contact with the ground. As you can see from your pictures above - and what we have seen with the sail directly is the tear goes straight through the sewn leading edge - so obviously the sail came into enough force to rip the leading edge in two which is a doubled up and sewn hem on the bottom of the sail. Even if the fabric would have failed during flight as you have stated, it would be very difficult to rip the leading edge in half. The only way this could have been done is the kite was flown in winds that were far stronger than the rated wind range or the kite came into serious contact with the ground.

Regardless, nobody wants to get into an argument about what actually happened, the fact is that the sail is obviously damaged and needs to be fixed. I still feel that the generous offer for Revolution to replace the sail for 130.00 is more than fair on a kite that has been sold over a year ago. We would have all preferred to continue to work this out between ourselves instead of bringing it public but that was your choice.

If you want the sail, let me know and I will get it to you at the price that was offered and you can get your Blast back in the air. If you wish to do otherwise, please feel free to e-mail me with your suggestions and I will do whatever possible to try and get it done for you. Revolution is a great company that fully stands behind their products, I am sure we can work out a solution that will be great for all of us.

Looks like a fail I had on a sport kite last year. Tear starting at the training edge and propogating up the sail. We worked out it was probably due to the TE being cut by bits of lawnmower shredded drinks can. I am lucky in that the kite was one of my team kites and I just gave it to the boss to repair (who is also the manufacturer). This fail was not caused by a heavy landing or anything more than bad luck, sometimes that happens.

Sounds like everyone is trying to do the right thing here, but a warranty replacement may be too much to ask.

The follow up on the problem, here is what we are going to do, replace it no charge, no hassle and it's done....... You know as for

a defect maybe, but things are my problem and when it's my problem I handle it my way, Tom this is Ben from Revolution and

I need to get an address to send this kite....... I'm not really sure this was a material problem but after sleeping on it I can not

take the chance it was and feel good about myself so I figure to :censored: with it Ben let's just replace it and then everyones

happy..... Ben :blue-cool: :blue-cool: :blue-cool:

I think it is amazing what Ben and Revolution have offered to do, great guys to deal with.

Keith

Me too. If I bought a jacket and ripped it nearly a year later, I wouldn’t expect the manufacturer to replace it free of charge.

I’ve no doubt Ben will be sleeping soundly tonight, but I would be surprised if somebody somewhere is not in for a restless night.

i figured id chime in in this one.. i have both a single and a 3 pack of blasts and i have never seen this happen to the sails.. i have slammed mine to the ground a few times (not on purpose) and have had nothing but broken rods as lolly knows!!!! :) my single blast is back when they first came out .. i think in 05 if im right..my stack is 3 kites that are newer and have been crashed a few times during test flights..i think that the blast is 1 great kite espically for the light winds..much love to you ben for helping this flier get backin the air once again :lol:

Edited by antman

It's wonderful to have a company such as Revolution that truly cares about their product and customers. Fantastic news Ben, Lolly and the whole Revolution gang, you are top notch. Tom, give Ben a shout and he will take care of you. I too would be more than happy to contact Ben as well if you have any problems or are unable to get with him.

Between the three of us we will get you back flying again. The Blast really is a...Blast to fly! :) (pun intended)

Just another example of how Rev and thiersuppliers will help out if they can.

I think this is an example of Rev (Ben) going that extra step to help out.

The first offer might have been a good one. dont think you can beat the second one though.

Respect to Revolution and Kent.

I am very happy about this solution, many many thanks to Ben and all the other posters.

In my eyes the contact with the ground was not very strong but this is of course difficult to proof. I flew two blasts that d-day, with different setups - but exact same conditions, and the second one has no damages at all.

Anyway, rev kites found an excellent solution for me. I am very happy with that ! B):P:)

Thanks again, happy wind,

Tom

Edited by TomW