Replaced LE Screen

johnfarl

Question

Just finished replacing the LE screen on my 1.5. That was a tough job. I decided to do it right and deconstructed the old screen took pictures and tried to follow the same sequence and build technique that REV uses. Took about 8 grueling hours but finally was success today. I think now I could do it in about 1 to 2 hours. There must 4500 stitches to remove.

I am surprised no one has come up with a screen replacement service. I figure it would take a REV life up by double or triple. I am noticing that failure occurs after about 2 or 3 years. Probable if someone did it they should also replace the dacron connector between LE pocket and sail. I think it would be about 1 hour job after someone has done it a few times. Materials are about $10 so a 60 or 70 dollar repair if done well might sell. Too bad I am retired and by principle will not work.

Anyway there will be some nice light winds here so I think I will go out and fly my reinvigorated REV.

John

10 answers to this question

Just finished replacing the LE screen on my 1.5. That was a tough job. I decided to do it right and deconstructed the old screen took pictures and tried to follow the same sequence and build technique that REV uses. Took about 8 grueling hours but finally was success today. I think now I could do it in about 1 to 2 hours. There must 4500 stitches to remove.

I am surprised no one has come up with a screen replacement service. I figure it would take a REV life up by double or triple. I am noticing that failure occurs after about 2 or 3 years. Probable if someone did it they should also replace the dacron connector between LE pocket and sail. I think it would be about 1 hour job after someone has done it a few times. Materials are about $10 so a 60 or 70 dollar repair if done well might sell. Too bad I am retired and by principle will not work.

Anyway there will be some nice light winds here so I think I will go out and fly my reinvigorated REV.

John

Good job John!!

Glad you got the mesh OK :)

When I was rolling it up, it didn't look like an 'even' 2" strip :(

Hope you didn't have to do too much trimming. :devil:

Hugs,

T

John

Wish I had known that you were going to replace the screen. I have come up with a method of replacing the original in such a way that future replacements are much easier than the first replacement.

I remove the original screen completely. That's the hard part as it is rolled into the sail. After I unsew the rolled part and remove the screen, I re-fold the top of the sail and run a straight seam down the center of that fold. I then replace the screen in the leading edge pocket. Then I cut a piece of black kite material an inch wide the length of the screen, fold the edges into the center and fold the center, leaving no raw edge. I sew the raw edge of the new screen into the center of the folded black material, again with a straight stitch.

Using the three stitch zig zag I attach the new leading edge to the old sail. The next time the screen, or a section of screen needs replacing, undoing the three stitch zig zag releases all or part of the screen for replacement.

I have done this on nearly all of our Revs. Several are on their third or fourth screen.

Makes the job easy and much faster. No screen rolled into the seam.

Good job John!!

Glad you got the mesh OK :)

When I was rolling it up, it didn't look like an 'even' 2" strip :(

Hope you didn't have to do too much trimming. :devil:

Hugs,

T

T I did not trim it off, even though it was over sized. Started by sewing in sail edge first. Then set the LE pocket to give me the proper gap. There was some excess but not too much. This is hidden in the pocket and does not interfere with anything. I think this is better than trying to cut a precise 2 inch wide screen. Since I was using the double side tape to hold the screen to the dacron it was easy to get a good consistent vent size. Reccomend cutting about 2.25 inch width. You could go back do some trimming before closing pocket up. Conclusion is width of screen is not important as long as there is enough.

John

John

Wish I had known that you were going to replace the screen. I have come up with a method of replacing the original in such a way that future replacements are much easier than the first replacement.

I remove the original screen completely. That's the hard part as it is rolled into the sail. After I unsew the rolled part and remove the screen, I re-fold the top of the sail and run a straight seam down the center of that fold. I then replace the screen in the leading edge pocket. Then I cut a piece of black kite material an inch wide the length of the screen, fold the edges into the center and fold the center, leaving no raw edge. I sew the raw edge of the new screen into the center of the folded black material, again with a straight stitch.

Using the three stitch zig zag I attach the new leading edge to the old sail. The next time the screen, or a section of screen needs replacing, undoing the three stitch zig zag releases all or part of the screen for replacement.

I have done this on nearly all of our Revs. Several are on their third or fourth screen.

We will have to share notes on this next time we meet. Sooner the better.

John

John

We will have to share notes on this next time we meet. Sooner the better.

John

We are at Pismo Coast Village in Pismo Beach, Ca. We plan to be here flying on the beach until next Friday. 1247.5 miles from Fort Collins. 623.75 miles a day. 12hours towing.

See you Monday night? :huh:

Edited by Jim Foster

We are at Pismo Coast Village in Pismo Beach, Ca. We plan to be here flying on the beach until next Friday. 1247.5 miles from Fort Collins. 623.75 miles a day. 12hours towing.

See you Monday night? :huh:

You and Lynn lead a rough life. I would be there but trailer is at the dealer for a couple of waranty items. Have fun on the beach while I am shovelling snow.

John

You and Lynn lead a rough life. I would be there but trailer is at the dealer for a couple of waranty items. Have fun on the beach while I am shovelling snow.

John

Sorry you can't make it. We'll think of you shoveling snow while we are emptying sand from our shoes.

Yes, it is a rough life, but we are learning to deal with it. B)

Ive build myself a "Rev Style Quad Line Kite" Its a 1,2 so the individual 82,5 cm (32") spars fit In. (full Race frame Set from Revolution), but the point is that i used a mesh which is a little softer than the Original one.

Of Course i have to wait now for a couple of Years to see if it takes longer to be torn apart.

But it might as well be worth a try, if one have to replace it anyway.