Liberty on Sunday? 10/25/09

Lauranyyfan

post-2058-1256434483_thumb.jpg

Hey Guys!

I might be coming up again this Nov. I wonder what kind of weather I might expect? and what accoutrement I would need to survive the flight time.

I have a couple vents including a Green Eyes now.

Very cool!!

Looks like you can join our vented eyes team!!! B)

The weather can be rather chilly; are you planning for the beginning or end of November? Bring the eyes, I'll bet there will be some good wind! Weather systems tend to move more quickly in the fall and winter (and spring, for that matter) so, we're never sitting in the center of a "high" for too long. Obviously, keep an eye to the extended forecasts as your ETA gets closer.

Give us a little heads up to when you'll be around and I'm sure you can count on a good turn out.

See you soon.

Hey Guys!

I might be coming up again this Nov. I wonder what kind of weather I might expect? and what accoutrement I would need to survive the flight time.

I have a couple vents including a Green Eyes now.

By all means tocuh base with one of us when you're close to making the trip. As you know we will make an event out of your coming.

That said, BothLaura and I are headed to Cape Fear the weekend of 11/6 so if your plans are for that weekend we'll have to get you together with some of the other Jersey Crew. Let us know!!!!!

What a fun day!

Although the winds were gusty and lighter than we would prefer, the Jersey gathering provided a great time today. Barb & I took some photos and videos and I got some of the stills posted in an album at the link below:

http://www.revkites.com/forum/index.php?au...m&album=393

Hi Wayne-

What a great time. Yes, the winds were all over the place, but as is the norm, we made the best of it!! Great seeing you and Barb.

I'm getting an error message with this link.

"I'm getting an error message with this link."

""Sorry, but you do not have permission to use this feature. If you are not logged in, you may do so using the form below if available.""

Oops, missed the checkbox for public access. :wacko: It should be fixed now.

http://www.revkites.com/forum/index.php?au...m&album=393

or try the link at the bottom of my signature and select the Liberty Park album.

Laura,

I tested my 120' lines and found that you were correct. One of my bottom lines was 2 1/2" shorter than the other 3. I adjusted them tonight and will double-check them later this week in the yard. I don't know how that happened as I checked and adjusted them early this year. The other three were within 1/4" of each other. Hopefully fixing this will help my precision. Actually, I'm an expert team flyer except for my uneven lines (yea, even I can't buy that! ;) ).

In another equipment issue, I checked the weight of the silicone rubber sand-stopping sleeves I was using and the heat-shrink tubing I also had on my race rod outer ends. The 4 x 1/2" pieces of rubber tubing added 3 grams, while the 4 x 1" long heat-shrink tubing added only 1.1 grams. In the future, I think I will only use the lighter heat shrink on my non-vented kite to keep the weight down for lighter winds. I doubt the weights matter much for my vented kite with the stronger winds. I do think I could feel the difference Sunday when I removed the rubber sleeves in the light breezes we had at Liberty.

Thanks for the help and suggestions Sunday. It is hard to believe you have been flying Revs for only a few months longer than me; you are so good at it!

Laura,

I tested my 120' lines and found that you were correct. One of my bottom lines was 2 1/2" shorter than the other 3. I adjusted them tonight and will double-check them later this week in the yard. I don't know how that happened as I checked and adjusted them early this year. The other three were within 1/4" of each other. Hopefully fixing this will help my precision. Actually, I'm an expert team flyer except for my uneven lines (yea, even I can't buy that! ;) ).

In another equipment issue, I checked the weight of the silicone rubber sand-stopping sleeves I was using and the heat-shrink tubing I also had on my race rod outer ends. The 4 x 1/2" pieces of rubber tubing added 3 grams, while the 4 x 1" long heat-shrink tubing added only 1.1 grams. In the future, I think I will only use the lighter heat shrink on my non-vented kite to keep the weight down for lighter winds. I doubt the weights matter much for my vented kite with the stronger winds. I do think I could feel the difference Sunday when I removed the rubber sleeves in the light breezes we had at Liberty.

Thanks for the help and suggestions Sunday. It is hard to believe you have been flying Revs for only a few months longer than me; you are so good at it!

Hi Wayne-

Glad I could help. It probably would have been two longer ones had I not taken the one in a bit. The lines tend to creep a little on a new set, so after a few really good sessions in high winds, rotate the lines so that they will creep evenly. (Top to bottoms and bottoms to top). After those initial rotations, you should be good to go.

I might be flying only a couple months longer than you, but the hours I've flown might be a few years more than you. That's mostly where the difference is. Bottom line, get out there and fly as much as possible and you will see your skills improve; do it right along side Barb!!! .... you go, girl!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Most importantly, you are having fun, right? That's what it's all about!!!

Edited by Love2fly