field etiquette,arena craft,

big bri

We recently talked as a team.About some simple,but good practices we could follow when in an arena or just flying together.Some ideas can be quite usefull and some very funny.Perhaps some of the larger or more experienced team pilots can help the topic along.Are ther any 10 commandments.Unspoken rules on how to behave when in the field.

Anyone whos flown a kite.Must have some stuff that grinds ya gears.so,lets have some dos n donts.The simplest of things can cause or prevent a birds nest/Tangle.

Arena craft,field etiquette,and good practices.Lets see if we could build The Ten Quadmandments :)

One that never fails to get me on one.People launching before they look properly whats happening around them.

Thou Shalt Not Launch,without looking properly first.

Another is,ground stakes left in.Those Invisible ones that snatch ya kite when sliding.

Thy should remove Thy Stake at all times,when not in use

Kite left unatended.With leading edge UP,,,,,Aaarrghhh.

Just a few to get ya bloods going

BRIAN...

Edited by big bri

The Ten Quadmandments :)

Thou Shalt Not Launch,without looking properly first.

Thy should remove Thy Stake at all times,when not in use

Concentrate on your own kite, not anyone else's

Two reasons: 1) If you look at all the other kites in the sky making a pretty picture, you are not concentrating on your own and it is likely to 'wander' off of it's own accord... ;) You will see the pretty pictures later, on photos or video.

2) When you're in a team whose kites are all identical, it's easy to forget which kite you are flying (easy in the Squad.. "it's the blue one") and then it's back to reason 1)

How about also:

Don't panic!

If in doubt, stay where you are in the sky, and await further instructions. Team flying should be fun :) Mistakes happen for many reasons, just relax and listen to the caller, they have the experience to get you out of any 'birds nest' you might find yourself in.

Hezz

• Like 1

Proper grenade this one Bri, everyone who flies is going to be caught in the blast. :lol:

Kite left unatended.With leading edge UP,,,,,Aaarrghhh.

BRIAN...

Kite left unattended anyway up ain't good, not with my insurance cover anyway.

And No1 of Hezz's might work in team flying but it does not help about here if you are not looking at the big picture unless you want to spend a lot of time untangling lines.

Edited by Harrier

How about:

Know thy limits

Whilst it is good to "push the boundaries", there may be conditions where it is just better to land and watch. For example in very light or howling winds when you haven't got the right tools for the job for team flying (equipment and/or expertise).

We recently talked as a team.About some simple,but good practices we could follow when in an arena or just flying together.Some ideas can be quite usefull and some very funny.Perhaps some of the larger or more experienced team pilots can help the topic along.Are ther any 10 commandments.Unspoken rules on how to behave when in the field.

BRIAN...

Thou shalt do as you are told by the caller.

*unless i meant something else in which case it is down to you to know what I meant and do that instead.+

+It is up to you to know when I meant what I said and when I meant something else, no further clues will be given.

Edited by Stephen Hoath
  • Like 1

Thou shalt do as you are told by the caller.

*unless i meant something else in which case it is down to you to know what I meant and do that instead.+

+It is up to you to know when I meant what I said and when I meant something else, no further clues will be given.

:lol: ,yeh,i like that pal.Tickled me.

Odds left evens right still brings a smile and a chuckle .Everytime i call it or Dave does.

Eight of us in a column flying up[as columns usually are].The call came.Five went right,two went left and one lost in the middle.... :lol: .

Perhaps not a new move,but one we perform with consistant excellence

BRIAN...

Respect other people’s right to just chill.

I am often the first to go and introduce myself to newbies and to offer advice, especially on my home field, it seems to be just plain good manners to do so, but (and it’s a big but), don’t assume that everyone wants company. Many people fly to chill out and spend some quiet time with their own thoughts and even experienced pilots need to take time and space to work out that challenging manoeuvre. Don’t assume, just ask.

Typo correction

Edited by Stone in Shoe Bob

Respect other people’s right to just chill.

I am often the first to go and introduce myself to newbies and to offer advice, especially on my home field, it seems to be just plain good manners to do so, but (and it’s a big but), don’t assume that everyone wants company. Many people fly to chill out and spend some quiet time with their own thoughts and even experienced pilots need to take time and space to work out that challenging manoeuvre. Don’t assume, just ask.

Typo correction

Hmmm... We go to Blackheath on a Sunday (close to that building with a spire) and look up to the sky and put our hands together (or not) and fly. Anyone interrupting this meditation is likely to be missing the point.

Thanks for the observation. Very correct! <grins>

Felix

Hmmm... We go to Blackheath on a Sunday (close to that building with a spire) and look up to the sky and put our hands together (or not) and fly. Anyone interrupting this meditation is likely to be missing the point.

Thanks for the observation. Very correct! <grins>

Felix

:) ,Its not just me then.

Ainsdale is a fine Church on an early Sunday Morning.Makes the hair stand and spine tingle.Ive not spoken to the big guy for a while,but hes ther.While i drink my Milky Coffee and listen to the world wake up,,,,, Heaven on Earth for me.

The lads dont let on,but im sure they know i like my time before they all arrive.

RESPECT Bob.

BRIAN...