Why 120s

big bri

Question

Ok,ive wondered from time to time.Especially when ive been running out lines or making a few sets.

WHY 120ft lines for team.

Why not 125ft or 130ft.Who decided and why.

I understand and recognised why thers a need for a set team length,but Why 120ft

Que,John Mitchell,,,, :)

BRIAN...

16 answers to this question

I don't know, but I'm going to take a wild guess.

120 x 4 = 480. If you have a 500' spool, you have enough to make one full set, considering the extra needed to accommodate the loops and extra. Likewise, a 1000' spool yields 2 sets.

We like things in "even" increments....120, 125, 150, etc. You could probably get 122' sets from the same spools, but who wants that? :P

Bri, while you're at it, I have a few questions too:

Can vegetarians eat animal crackers?

Does the Little Mermaid wear an algebra?

Why is there an expiration date on sour cream?

What was the best thing before sliced bread?

Why 120 foot lines for team flying. ooppsssss. . that was your question!

B)

Ok,ive wondered from time to time.Especially when ive been running out lines or making a few sets.

WHY 120ft lines for team.

Why not 125ft or 130ft.Who decided and why.

I understand and recognised why thers a need for a set team length,but Why 120ft

Que,John Mitchell,,,, :)

BRIAN...

OK Kids,

and John Mitchell & Felix feel free to add as you see fit.

It all started with the Neos and that Video :) This said use 150 Lbs lines.

Then as we tried different sets & The 1.5 arrived, line went down to 80lbs.

I think as a lot of dual line teams used 150 foot lines and Shanti sold spools of lines at 150 feet, us Quad flyers simply folded those in half, making 75 foot lines.

These were the standard in 96/97 for Indi flying.

Some of us wanted to make the window bigger for Precision figures so went up to 80 foot, or used metric

Around this time The Decs were the ONLY Rev team in Europe/Western World.

Pairs could use 80foot lines, They (the Decs) had more flyers and moved up to 100 foot lines.

By 99 FliC & Skydance, were flying team using 100 foot lines (copying the Decs).

99/2000 The Flying Squad formed and soon went to 8 plus flyers, it was then we went longer as we just could not fly on the 100 or 110 foot.

Shortly after, the other teams started using the same as it gives a much larger window.

Since then as new teams formed they have followed the trend.

B)

yes, yes, because the new color is a turnoff, sliced cake

B)

Hi Jim,

What was a field mouse called before fields?

What was a Barn Owl called before there were Barns?

What was a House Martin called before houses were built?

If an orange is called an orange why is a lemon not called a Yellow :)

Why do men have nipples?

Oh and I answered your last one - :wacko:

Edited by Simon

Hi Jim,

What was a field mouse called before fields?

What was a Barn Owl called before there were Barns?

What was a House Martin called before houses were built?

If an orange is called an orange why is a lemon not called a Yellow :)

Why do men have nipples?

Oh and I answered your last one - :wacko:

Cat food

An Owl

George

It is - Lemon Yellow

Women would say it's to remind us we're t*ts!

OK Kids,

and John Mitchell & Felix feel free to add as you see fit.

It all started with the Neos and that Video :) This said use 150 Lbs lines.

Then as we tried different sets & The 1.5 arrived, line went down to 80lbs.

I think as a lot of dual line teams used 150 foot lines and Shanti sold spools of lines at 150 feet, us Quad flyers simply folded those in half, making 75 foot lines.

These were the standard in 96/97 for Indi flying.

Some of us wanted to make the window bigger for Precision figures so went up to 80 foot, or used metric

Around this time The Decs were the ONLY Rev team in Europe/Western World.

Pairs could use 80foot lines, They (the Decs) had more flyers and moved up to 100 foot lines.

By 99 FliC & Skydance, were flying team using 100 foot lines (copying the Decs).

99/2000 The Flying Squad formed and soon went to 8 plus flyers, it was then we went longer as we just could not fly on the 100 or 110 foot.

Shortly after, the other teams started using the same as it gives a much larger window.

Since then as new teams formed they have followed the trend.

The Decs were flying on 125ft 10 years ago...

I still have the lines.

Felix

The Decs were flying on 125ft 10 years ago...

I still have the lines.

Felix

I really can't elaborate much on this Revolution related subject.

I seem to remember asking Felix some years back what lines they flew on so I could have a set ready when I flew with them the next time.

Seems to me it was Shanti 40 meter (about 125 ft) 40Kg (about 90 lb). That must have been back around 1996 because Shanti was sponsoring my lines at that time when I made the lines.

I remember something else early on on dual line team lines. The early dual line team members would fly on different length lines. The difference I think was around 1 meter about 3 ft. The idea was so that team members could stand side by side without the kites colliding directly into each other. This quietly disappeared in the mid nineties.

I know why iQuad ended up on 120 foot lines. :D

Before John and I made our fateful trip to Berck in 2006, I'd had a bunch of email back and forth with Seb from FLIC and one of the questions I had was "well, what length of line?" And he emailed back 90 metres (which is roughly 120 feet). So, thats what we took to France. It was a minor annoyance for me as Id JUST a day or two before bought a full set of 100 ft lines, 50, 90 and 150 pound. :D And then bought it again as 120s. Ah well, I can honestly say it was all worth it.

I'll add that with four on a team, 60 feet is a whole pile of fun too!

I know why iQuad ended up on 120 foot lines. :D

Before John and I made our fateful trip to Berck in 2006, I'd had a bunch of email back and forth with Seb from FLIC and one of the questions I had was "well, what length of line?" And he emailed back 90 metres (which is roughly 120 feet). So, thats what we took to France. It was a minor annoyance for me as Id JUST a day or two before bought a full set of 100 ft lines, 50, 90 and 150 pound. :D And then bought it again as 120s. Ah well, I can honestly say it was all worth it.

I'll add that with four on a team, 60 feet is a whole pile of fun too!

I bet he said 40 meters.

A meter is close to 1 yard 3 inches or 39 inches or 3 ft 3in which ever way you feel more comfortable with. More precisely 1 meter equals 39.370 inches.

Some quick metric measurements, 1 inch equals 254 millimeters(mm), or 25.4 centimeters(cm).

There are 100 cm in 1 meter. Between those two is a decimeter, but I don't know of anyone using in everyday communications. 1,000 meters(m or mtr) is 1 Km(Kilometer).

Meter is the base.

deci = 10th

centi = 100th

milli = 1000th

kilo = 1,000

I have lived half my life using the metric system and half my life using the inch/foot system. I'll take the metric system any day.

I bet he said 40 meters.

I have lived half my life using the metric system and half my life using the inch/foot system. I'll take the metric system any day.

he very well may have in fact.

I've grown up much the same, Canada "switched" to Metric in the mid 70s when I was in school, thus, I'm not very good at either of them :D

I bet he said 40 meters.

A meter is close to 1 yard 3 inches or 39 inches or 3 ft 3in which ever way you feel more comfortable with. More precisely 1 meter equals 39.370 inches.

Some quick metric measurements, 1 inch equals 254 millimeters(mm), or 25.4 centimeters(cm).

There are 100 cm in 1 meter. Between those two is a decimeter, but I don't know of anyone using in everyday communications. 1,000 meters(m or mtr) is 1 Km(Kilometer).

Meter is the base.

deci = 10th

centi = 100th

milli = 1000th

kilo = 1,000

Your Dec. points have slipped a little, 'tis 25.4 mm, 2.54 cm to the inch.

I see.

Blame Felix and the French....lol

or

We have them to thank.Thanks for the input fellas.Twas a moment of curiosity that kept nagging me .... :rolleyes::)

Mothers for feeding,Dadys for soothing.......Nipples

Doesnt sit well with me[shivers down mi spine],but thats what my Mother Inlaw[God bless her] used to say.

BRIAN...

I see.

Blame Felix and the French....lol

<snip>

BRIAN...

We arrived at 125ft/38m when we started to fly eight. 100ft/30.5m was just 'not enough space'.

We went down to 120ft/36.5m ahead of the Portsmouth/Bristol events last year.

Felix

I vaguely recall Sky Dance using 120' line as that was the length that Shanti made in pre made sets. I think we paired up sets of dual lines. Mark may remember more than me.

Hello pal[ive PMd ya btw]

I dont know who or wher we picked the 120s idea from at all.I think a chat some years ago with Mr Gary[invisible now]Mathews.Gary gave us some good advice as i remember.Along with others.

Ive just been out with the Sedgewick at Ainsdale[stunning Autum Day] in 2mph winds on 200ft lines.Diffrent is the way to explain that.Drag from the 150lb lines was very noticable.Window is EEEnormous and like flying in slow mo.Quite calming and a chill of an experience.Neck Hurts,eyes strained,ice on kite when it came down...lol

Proper couple of hours with a freind or two flying.

BRIAN...