One Sky One World

big bri

Well...too many events this weekend!!!

I'm heading to Long Beach tomorrow - Friday to Monday - for a One Sky One World festival put on by the Kite Museum.

http://www.funbeach.com/events/kite/onewor...esky/index.html

iQuad is heading to Lincoln City Fall Festival

http://www.oregoncoast.org/kite-festival/kites-fall.php

minus John as he's at AKA Nationals!

Have fun flying where ever you are! :)

Theresa

Hey Theresa-

How's everything? How's Dave? Please say hello...

The Jersey Crew will be waving to you all as we fly high (120' at least ;) ) and proud!

xoxo

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I cant think of a better reason to fly a kite than this Sunday.I dont think OSOW ever gets the real recognition it deserves.Its been going for a good few years now.The second Sunday in October is when the event is marked.

For anyone new to kites or doesnt understand what the date and title represents.Below is a link.Which explains all .

http://www.zen169231.zen.co.uk/osow/frame1.htm Official site

http://revolutionkite.wordpress.com/2009/0...-sky-one-world/ Russian Kite flyer explains why,Mike Loskov

BRIAN...Peace everyone

With "One Sky One World" coming up this Sunday I thought I would share something I came across while browsing

old copies of Kitelines. This is from Summer 1986 tn_gallery_3935_154_310952.jpgVol 6/No 2tn_gallery_3935_154_1632637.jpg

The rest of the magazine is a good read, available from Kitelife Library

I'll be out on Sunday, I just the wind will show also

With "One Sky One World" coming up this Sunday I thought I would share something I came across while browsing

old copies of Kitelines. This is from Summer 1986 tn_gallery_3935_154_310952.jpgVol 6/No 2tn_gallery_3935_154_1632637.jpg

The rest of the magazine is a good read, available from Kitelife Library

I'll be out on Sunday, I just the wind will show also

How kewl,cheers Mike

Thick Fog here atm.Hope the wind shows and blows it away soon

Have a great weekend all

BRIAN...

Blustery morning flying at Stokes Bay with quite a crowd from the SKF.

Flew my LadyBug until it got too strong for her, then, went 4-line... After being dragged around the green on the end of my Shockwave for an hour and Half, changed kites and found the vented 1.5 was - rather boring!

If I get another Rev, I think it'll be a vented Blast :) Do they do custom colours on that one?

Went to fly at Dunstable Downs for a little while, took the Nasawing 1.5 out and flew it in memory of Francis Rogallo, especially for OSOW. Boy does that little kite pull!

Watched the power kiters hurting themselves.. especially the one guy who landed hard on the ground and must have winded himself, he was lay there for a good few minutes then his mate helped him to pack up.. LOL.. wuss...

Didn't do a lot else, drizzly rain sent us inside for a coffee and then we decided to call it a day and went off home... mmm, roast chicken dinner cooking now... :P

Hezz

Edited by Hezz

Wind is just starting to blow a little here, I did go out this morning and pickup a Whitebird dragon kite with a 45 ft tail that was listed on the local Craigslist. I will be heading to the flying field in a couple of hours. If there is nko wind I will still setup a bunch of kites for a ground display. That usually generates a crowd, so I can still promote "One Sky One World"

Well we had a good day at the Haven near clacton on sea.At one point today we had 18 revs on the field.And at 3:00 we had 118 various kites flying.The weather could have been better(rain showers)but I think everyone had a good day.So we did our bit for o.s.o.w,and the day came to an end with happy smiles.

Very produtive days kite flying on the banks of the River mersey.With Some great freinds,great kites and great Big Winds at times.The meter said 5mph and then 25mph in the blink of an eye

About twenty members of the NKG flew,loada kites.Ate some nice homemade cakes, Pork Pies and chatted with the intrested locals .

A good day .

BRIAN...

I got a few air hours in at Long Beach, WA. Flew my black-rainbow mid-vent 1.5 Rev, and my Gallego.

Winds died down to 3? (most kites down on the ground) and gusted up to mid teens at least. First time I tried the mid-vent in gusty winds - what a great flier.

I only saw one other Rev flier on the beach Sat and Sun! Maybe AKA could promote OSOW more (I know, it stepped on the AKA convention time slot this year) - or maybe it has too much of an international flavor for most Americans.

Say, melnsct, is that a black-rainbow in your avatar?

We had 8 or 10 fliers this afternoon, a beautiful sunny day, though it was a bumpy and gusty breeze.

No Revs were flown though, it was mostly SLKs. :huh:

well, glad to know that someplace else the condition are more comfortable!

we had a very wet kite festival in Taipei county for the past weekend (also OSOW)

someone posted a video before i recover to make my uploading/editing

Bell posted the pictures from that weekend... they did a great job (Team 8+)

post-2243-1255336019_thumb.jpg

Edited by Litsong

Didn't do a lot else, drizzly rain sent us inside for a coffee and then we decided to call it a day and went off home... mmm, roast chicken dinner cooking now... :P

Not sure how to break this to you nicely, but the clouds parted and the sun was shining later in the afternoon. :) What a nice wind it was too, with plenty of flying space after the power kiters retired to lick their wounds (wounded pride for the most part).

SiS Bob also taught 2-3 people how to create a larks-neck to attach flying lines to their SLKs when they approached for help.

EDIT: ...sorry, no photos - too busy flying! :P

Edited by andelscott

Bart's hurricane winds arrived in Montreal yesterday. It was blowing between 19-26 mph (30-43 kmh) from 11 - 5 yesterday.

We were out on the field with a couple of dozen people. At the peak, there might have been a dozen kites in the air.

I never unpacked the 1.5

We started out by putting a small slk delta fish up but had to take it down as it would head earthwards every minute or so. Later, when our friends' kids put up their dragons and butterflies, we learned that the slks needed constant tugging to shake the wind out of their sails to keep them flying.

My pal Jim brought out his Hawaiian Team Kite and his Hawaiian Spinoff. On 500# lines, these were pulling like locomotives!! You should have seen the smile on his face! All summer he's been grumbling that we don't get enough wind around here. His Flexifoil was a treat to fly... smooth smooth smooth.

Yvette flew our Snapshot 1.4 for a couple of hours. I kept hearing yips and eeeeks and would see her skittering across the field every time the kite was pulling on a horizontal sweep. Jim was there to give her a hand after she tried to fly like Supergirl. :) All smiles, even now with some of yesterday's fun turned into aches.

I'm the only one who had any trouble with the small foil. Even our buddy's 12 year old son was able to keep that kite under control (his dad held him so the wind wouldn't take him away); he piloted that foil very, very nicely doing figure 8s and sweeps.

Twice yesterday afternoon, I popped 150# lines while flying the Snapshot. The first time it was only one line. The second time, we watched the kite fly off on its own when both of the lines popped within a fraction of a second of each other! Glad to say that young James runs faster than I do and brought that kite back to us without any damage all around.

There were seven or eight Revs sitting on the field. Most of the time, they were all parked LE down, but we'd see one go up every once in a while. Unbelievable how much billow they were developing. I was too scared that I'd break a rod, so I kept my standard in the bag for a calmer day.

Out in the buggy field, I'd see somebody skidding around from time to time, but not often.

They flew the Amnesty Rok most of the day... and the beautiful orange Pyro was in its usual Sunday spot.

It was a giggly day for all of us.