Useing 3p skyshark rods for leading edge and vert spars

farfennoogen

I have a question ...

I've been ghosting on this forum for a while and never seen anything on this ... I have a revolution 1.5 SLE that i fly here at my house that has had the standard 3 wrap Ultra light framing in it ..

My buddy has a rev 1.5 Sle with race rods in it ... the thing is the race rods really agreed with me and upon inspection appeared to be the same size and roughly the same weight as some extra skyshark 3p's that i have laying around ...

I've already flown it with the skyshark 3p's in it and has the same feel as my buddys kite with the race rods.. even feels like it flies better in lighter winds with these skyshark 3p rods ..

so my question is are these skyshark 3p rods close to the same as what race rods are ? I know race rods are wrapped in 2p but with the strength of 3 p already ..

I plan on using the skyshark for the lighter winds and the standard framing for the heavier wind stuff ...Least till i can afford the race rods ... So far the skyshark 3p's have worked in winds from 0-10 mph with no problems just looking to make sure im not gonna butcher my kite up and that im not just imagining my kite is flying better in lower winds with these skyshark rods in ....

anyone know the weight of the race rods vs. the skyshark 3p's ?

Edited by farfennoogen

so my question is are these skyshark 3p rods close to the same as what race rods are ?

The Skyshark rods are made by Skyshark using one process.

The race rods are made by Revolution at the Revolution factory in Poway using a process patented by Revolution.

How close they are in true characteristics might possibly be answered by Ben at Revolution.

I would tend to venture that the Race rods are a bit superior in all aspects.

Hi melnsct.

i use the p90 in a sul type revalike (same weight as rev) from 2 to 6mph, p200 6mph to 10mph.

then p400 in vented rev from 10 mph to about 15 to 20mph.

anything after that it's mega vented, or stay in bed, or forget flying altogether.

that is from what i can remember, not flown much in 2009.

all the best steve.

Ive used just about every rod one time or another.

P series rod.Been around for ever.Very multiputpose.They are a bi product from another sport completly or designed for other uses[im told].Archery im told.They are now being fazed out by sky shark.Ive used them and in my opinion are great value,but dont get on the same park as Race Rods or a more recently designed Rod.The silver Bullets

WHY,

Experiance alone can be the real decider.Feel of the rod and the way it reacts is no Accident in the Race Rod.The Race Rod was designed,BY Revolution,for a Revolution,from feedback from Revolution Pilots.Then also another bold step by Revolution.Ben mainly .A diffrent type of rod and concept comes along.The silver Bullet Rod.Again designed by Revolution,for a Revolution,by some Top Revolution flyers and feedback from the flying community of Revolution pilots.Along with Bens quest for perfection.

Choice is the the key.The winners here are the pilots.Ther input,along with our forum sponsors.Gave us the choices we have Today.Ever improveing,changeing,evolving top quality products.From Flyers for Flyers.

The sky Shark Rods wont harm the kite.The fact that its thought they may.I think answers some questions.They will give good service.Again,an earlier post compares P Series [p3] to Race Rods and says they feel the same.Yes ther very similar,but are not the same.They flex.react,spring,bend very diffrently.Call it what you will,but they are diffrent in these areas.

Could be a personal choice thing, a cost thing,availability thing.Whatever floats your boat.

Race Rods all the way for me in the correct conditions they are designed.Weight i dont have any issues with.I dont feel any need to weigh them,compare them,never have had or dont even give it thought .Ive just used them now for some while and ther Great.The Original quote was

Stronger than 3 wrap,Liter than a two wrap,,,,JOBS A GOODN for me.Everything else are just Rods,i now dont need any other imitations or copys,parts that just do a job.I just use the Race Frame.Apart from when thers a gale offcourse.Then the Revolution Four Wrap also again murder the p400 rods.The stiffness of the 4 wrap i love. P400 or ok as a Budget rod,but my prefrence is the REVOLUTION4 WRAP.

Hope this helps

BRIAN...edited for,,,,,,

Edited by big bri

Are "Silver Bullets" another new rod from Revolution?

No.We have quite a few WEEEERWOLVES running loose around Lancashire ,,,,, :lol: couldnt resist

Yes,they are a new rod.Been out around 12mths now.Ther is a full thread on the subject.I would try and find it but im off out sorry.

The thread is quite recent,so shouldnt be hard to find.

My new B Pros leading edges are ALL being framed in them......

BRIAN....off ta docs

The Skyshark rods are made by Skyshark using one process.

The race rods are made by Revolution at the Revolution factory in Poway using a process patented by Revolution.

How close they are in true characteristics might possibly be answered by Ben at Revolution.

I would tend to venture that the Race rods are a bit superior in all aspects.

I have no doubts that the race rods are superior for they were made spacifically for the rev ... and buy no way am i suggesting that they are even close to the same thing ... all im asking is are they close enough for me to get on to the feel so i may practice in nearly the same wind environments and not have to worry bout tearin my kite up in the process .... I do intend on purchasing some race rods but only when i have the money to do so ... the last of my money went into getting this kite :blushing: ...

The rods were left over from an older couple kites that I've had for years that i just happen to have laying around doing nothing but wasting space ... y not try to see if it helps me fly in lesser winds so i know what to do when i do buy my race rods .... I have to admit i would rather break a old rod that is decent for light wind then to break a brand new set of race rods and hate myself in the morning ...

I usually fly in light winds ... for the heavier winds i use the original 3 wrap Ul rev rods ...

JMZ - the rods already fit perfectly they were the same size as the rev leading edge in three pieces with ferrules so no cutting needed B) the end caps fit over the rods as opposed to inside ... seems to be working nicely for me ...

Dont get me wrong fellas ... I am sure race rods are the chitt .. but until i have funds for em ill have to settle with using what i can to get close to the same effects .. thats is just to get on to flying in lighter winds than with the original standard framing without having to "hoof it " and enjoying flying my kite ...

I would like to thank you all for your input though it is very helpful to me :) thank you

I emailed Revolution and asked them if they were close enough to get used to the feel before my purchase of race rods ..... I will keep you informed of there response for other members that may have questions about such matters ...

Personally i am not looking for they are better or worse then race rods just and idea that they may be close enough to get on to the "rough about feel" of flying with racers in before my purchase ...

Fly with the skyshark rods and enjoy it!!!!!!!!!!!!

ANYTHING is better than that huge SLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the SLE is kinda like flying a plank compaired to the 3p's ... these rods flex and give a little making it a bit more comfortable for me to do clockworks and bicycle spins .... I've only been flying for a week with the rev and am catching on fast ... I'll be shooting video here shortly to be able to view my progress threw the coming months Hopefully someone will enjoy seeing me progress ..

thanks for the support and comments this forum rocks !!!! B)

JMZ - the rods already fit perfectly they were the same size as the rev leading edge in three pieces with ferrules so no cutting needed B) the end caps fit over the rods as opposed to inside ... seems to be working nicely for me ...

Thanks farf,

I'm seeing lots of red flags about cutting into carbon. Glad I kept reading after I asked you that question.

I can see the attraction of using the skysharks for beginners as they are cheap to break if that's the case but once you have gotten the hang of the kite go with the OEM rods.

The fascination with the race rods is pretty simple, Think of high end quick suspension as opposed to grandpa's soft squishy Cadillac.

They load up nice and spring back quicker, Best place to see the greatness of them is flying team in a follow the leader the turbulence is handled very well by race rods while keeping straight. You feel it but it doesn't effect the tracking as opposed to softer action rods which will be highly effected causing course corrections more often.

I can go on all day about these rods but i'm trying to keep it simple.

Hope that offers a different perspective B)

I frequently blend the two sticks in my low wind REV set-ups.

I run Race Rods in the leading edge and a cut down set of 3P tapered skyshark down spars called Black Diamond(s).

(My favorites are Response 12s but they were discontinued long ago, so mighty tough to come by nowadays)

I also use training wheels, so the kite can take a sudden surge up to the low teen MPH numbers w/o damage.

Since more of the weight is located towards the leading edge and the sail is tight the kite has a great glide to recover your field or do 3D moves.

you can mix and match and still be a part of the family <LOL!>

-plm

thanks guys B) ...

Like i said i totally agree that the race rods are superior in every way ... and i do intend on picking some up but only when my funds allow it ... till then ill practice with the rods ive been using and then really appreciate the difference when i switch to the racers ...

Its great that you guys responded and told me your thoughts on the matter it is really appreciated B)

alot of great advice on this forum .... you guys rock !!!!

• 1 month later...

Sounds like you are comparing small diameter rods (1/4" ID) to the SLE leading edge (7/16" ID) set. The skysharks fly great and if you break one you aren't out much. I would recommend just getting a set new 3 wraps for your SLE. The new 3 wraps are the smaller (1/4"ID) rods and fly similar to the skysharks, and not enough at your level (assumption I know) for you to notice, nut you will notice in the pocket book. Save the money and spend more time flying. As an aside, I find comparable rev rods to be stiffer than the skysharks.

• 3 months later...

Sounds like you are comparing small diameter rods (1/4" ID) to the SLE leading edge (7/16" ID) set. The skysharks fly great and if you break one you aren't out much. I would recommend just getting a set new 3 wraps for your SLE. The new 3 wraps are the smaller (1/4"ID) rods and fly similar to the skysharks, and not enough at your level (assumption I know) for you to notice, nut you will notice in the pocket book. Save the money and spend more time flying. As an aside, I find comparable rev rods to be stiffer than the skysharks.

Thanks Db Cooper I've been flying it with my skysharks in it ever since and I'm really diggin it in the light wind :)