Attn: Jersey crew; Looking for best beach fly spots

dkhill1

Looking for a little help finding some choice beach flying closest to home. I live near the Princeton area, so Point Pleasent and Bellmar are the shortest drive. Anyone have any recommendations for the best flying spots in that area?

hey man hows it going?

If belmar is clsoe to you go to beach at 2nd and 3rd st big open area bathroom and all. but you have to get there really early and get your spot b4 the beach goes come. if you wake another week it will be all yours lol. when you go let us know and we will join you!

Looking for a little help finding some choice beach flying closest to home. I live near the Princeton area, so Point Pleasent and Bellmar are the shortest drive. Anyone have any recommendations for the best flying spots in that area?

Belmar is a great beach to fly!!!!!! As Sammy said, 2nd st is awesome, big, sandy and good water flying.

Asbury Park is also a good flying beach.

Or for a grassy field experience you can always fly with us at Liberty State Park.

By all means though, speak up about when you're going to fly, we are always ready to hit the sky!!!!!!!!!!!

hey man hows it going?

If belmar is clsoe to you go to beach at 2nd and 3rd st big open area bathroom and all. but you have to get there really early and get your spot b4 the beach goes come. if you wake another week it will be all yours lol. when you go let us know and we will join you!

Just what I was looking for Sammy, thanks.

Hoping to fly next Tues. the 8th at your suggested spot. Will know closer to the day.

By the way, my Son got his B-series and I picked up a Supersonic. We are both lovin em!!

Here is a shot of him with kites in LBI last week.

post-2720-1251773073_thumb.jpg

Rev'ed up,

I live in Bordentown and actually work in Lawrenceville on Princeton Pike. Too bad I can't take some time out to fly with you. I sometimes go to Mercer County park, but the winds there are not too great. If it's blowin' hard at home, by the time I get to the park, there's nothing. GEESH! I just bought a house so I'm busy painting and moving so I haven't been out with the "Jersey Crew" in a while, but hopefully this fall I'll be able to get out more :-)

I think Sammy said it. From Princeton, Belmar is probably the fastest big/wide beach available to you. Point isn't quite as good; Asbury has its moments, though very far north on the fishing beach is probably the best. Sandy Hook is fun too, but its such a pain to get to, that Liberty gets my nod.

Bob (from Long Branch, GSP 105 :-)

Rev'ed up,

I live in Bordentown and actually work in Lawrenceville on Princeton Pike. Too bad I can't take some time out to fly with you. I sometimes go to Mercer County park, but the winds there are not too great. If it's blowin' hard at home, by the time I get to the park, there's nothing. GEESH! I just bought a house so I'm busy painting and moving so I haven't been out with the "Jersey Crew" in a while, but hopefully this fall I'll be able to get out more :-)

Wow, small world!

I have clients on Princeton Pike in Lawrenceville and in Bordentown. I drive alot for my job and always have my kites on board. Millcreek park in Willingboro has got some wide open space that sometimes works out if I am in that area. Also Burlington City at the and of High st., along the Delaware River can be a good one. Any spot inland is tough. The new Zen might be something for flyers like us to be able to fly more locally.

Doug

• 6 months later...
  • 6 months later...

I live in Princeton. I might go flying this weekend somewhere on the shore with at least my 10 year-old. Can you fly kites in Sandy Hook? I would guess it's awesome for flying, plus stuff for my family to do.

Hey man sandy hook is off limit now for kites unless you go on the bay side with the kite surfers. something to do with nesting of the birds.... IDK go to Belmar or anywhere around there.

Hey man sandy hook is off limit now for kites unless you go on the bay side with the kite surfers. something to do with nesting of the birds.... IDK go to Belmar or anywhere around there.

I went out to Sandy Hook today. I spoke to the ranger at the visitor center. He basically told me not to worry about it since it is the off season. He also suggested North Beach, which is very wide. So we had a beautiful few hours with a steady onshore wind. North beach is perfect. Not so wide as wildwood but enough to keep well away from the swimmers and fishermen.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Regarding Sandy Hook -

I had two unintentionally hilarious conversations with Park Officials today. First with the guy who answered the phone who said there "might be a problem with in-season kite flying". When I asked about bird nests he said "Oh year, we ban pets from the beaches in season due to the piping plovers nests (endangered species) from March 15 to around October, and we'd probably ban kites too." I pointed out that October was well past season and he said off season is probably OK. He also gave me the number for Cynthia Leone, who gives out permits.

So Cynthia Leone, who is VERY nice, tells me you can't fly kites ANY time due to the birds, so you risk a ticket if you do. I then asked if anyone had done an impact analysis on the birds, if the bay side was OK (since the kitesurfers go there) etc. She said she needed to consult with someone and get back to me.

It seems like the rules there are more or less ad hoc. which fits with what I hear from y'all. Anyone interested in making a more formal push to the Hook authorities? It gets under my skin how they are giving citations without any formal clarity on the rules. Of course, we could just make things worse....:kid_cussing:

• 4 weeks later...

Cynthia called me back today and left a message described as a "final" answer - "You ARE allowed to fly kites on the Bay Side, not the Ocean side".

Kind of bad news, given the shallow beaches on that side.