Media Editing Program needed

airin

I used to use Microsoft's MovieMaker program and quite liked its simplicity. Recently, while trying to put together a little video of WSIKF, a combo of pix and short vid clips set to music, the program was all glitchy and kept crashing whenever I reached the stage of trying to add music.

So, I am looking for a simple media editing program that I can use instead of MM. I don't mind paying for a good piece of software but would rather it wasn't something designed for pro's so I don't have to spend hours figuring out how to apply all the various features.

I'm wondering what you folks who are into photos and video are using to edit your work and whether you could recommend a particular program to me.

thanks,

Erin

I used to use Microsoft's MovieMaker program and quite liked its simplicity. Recently, while trying to put together a little video of WSIKF, a combo of pix and short vid clips set to music, the program was all glitchy and kept crashing whenever I reached the stage of trying to add music.

So, I am looking for a simple media editing program that I can use instead of MM. I don't mind paying for a good piece of software but would rather it wasn't something designed for pro's so I don't have to spend hours figuring out how to apply all the various features.

I'm wondering what you folks who are into photos and video are using to edit your work and whether you could recommend a particular program to me.

thanks,

Erin

Hi Erin, what have you got in your PC Intel/AMD ? Which one, How much Ram, how much hard disk space & how much memory.

Also have you had glitches etc before.

I had a probem with glitches and then re installed my Graphic drivers (PC not Mac btw) and that was cured. However, My machin is starting to shut down when ever it wants. I think MY Hard Disk is about to die.

Does your PC operate ok at all other times?

Obviously you have a PC. The below is also valid for MAC.

I would personally suggest "Adobe Premiere Elements 7" as a starter. Normal price $99.99, Amazon.com price $60.49 today.

You can get the fully function 30 day trial version for Free by downloading directly from Adobe.

There are plenty of training videos on the internet both free and paying to get you going.

You could also go for their Rolls-Royce "Adobe Premiere Pro CS4" which is really meant for semi-pros going all the way up.

There is also a 30 day trial version available. Adobe price $799.99, Amazon.com price $686.87 today.

If you have a valid student ID, the price drops dramatically.

Adobe support is excellent with exception of trial software.

Another thing. You will need sufficient power in your PC for this software to run reasonably fast enough.

You should be sufficiently happy with a Duo core 2Ghz CPU and 2 GB of memory which is at or below the normal market PC today.

You might be able to get away with a single 1Ghz CPU and 1GB of memory however it might be a bit slow.

Anything less, you are asking for problems.

Also make sure your Windows O/S has the latest Service Packs installed.

Check the Adobe website for more precise System Requirements.

Thanks for your suggestions guys.

I have totally tricked out my PC not that long ago so that it has the power, hd capacity and processing speed necessary to edit and render videos and have used Movie Maker successfully to make a number of pretty decent home movies. Service Pack is all up to date too. But for some reason the editing program is unstable now...corrupted file maybe?

I'll take a look at both virtualdub and the trial version of Adobe. I don't want to have to do battle with the software, I'd rather put my energy towards being creative with my projects.