New Standard B1.5 - Some Questions

Snipper

Question

Hi all,

This my first post so here goes.

Just bought a standard B series, having got used to an EXP for a while. Just a couple of questions before I go for a first flight.

The package came with an LPG lineset and I'm trying to work out how to set them up. There is one winder (I normally use two) with both pairs wound on. They came loosely paired red together and black together. On each coloured pair one line has two black marks about 4" long on it near the sleeving and the other line has only one black mark. Now logic tells me that all lines should be equal (I will check this though) and it doesn't matter where I attach them. On the DVD, John attaches the black lines to the bottom and red to the top, but I'm used to red on the right and black on the left - I would use the marks on the lines to distinguish top from bottom, assuming there are line marks at both ends (I haven't unwound them yet). I don't suppose there's a right or wrong way just personal preference?

Second question. The right hand bridle leg running to the centre of the kite had a knot in it. I say had, because I have undone the bridle and removed the knot. I assumed it was a build error but it wouldn't have been used to equalise the bridle would it?

Thanks, and looking forward to further posts and developing my skills with what looks like a great kite.

Stu

Oh, and any other tips for the first flight would be welcome.

10 answers to this question

Hi all,

This my first post so here goes.

Just bought a standard B series, having got used to an EXP for a while. Just a couple of questions before I go for a first flight.

The package came with an LPG lineset and I'm trying to work out how to set them up. There is one winder (I normally use two) with both pairs wound on. They came loosely paired red together and black together. On each coloured pair one line has two black marks about 4" long on it near the sleeving and the other line has only one black mark. Now logic tells me that all lines should be equal (I will check this though) and it doesn't matter where I attach them. On the DVD, John attaches the black lines to the bottom and red to the top, but I'm used to red on the right and black on the left - I would use the marks on the lines to distinguish top from bottom, assuming there are line marks at both ends (I haven't unwound them yet). I don't suppose there's a right or wrong way just personal preference?

Second question. The right hand bridle leg running to the centre of the kite had a knot in it. I say had, because I have undone the bridle and removed the knot. I assumed it was a build error but it wouldn't have been used to equalise the bridle would it?

Thanks, and looking forward to further posts and developing my skills with what looks like a great kite.

Stu

Oh, and any other tips for the first flight would be welcome.

Hi! And welcome to the forum!

I always include a print out of Dave Hathaway's article in Kitelife with new line sets:

http://www.kitelife.com/magazine/issue55/r...s55/content.php

Hope this helps with your line set up :)

Thanks Theresa.

I had seen that article before - there's always something to learn about line management. I'll get these new lines out and have a closer look at the markings. It's just that I'm used to identifying lines by sleeving colour and not coloured marks on the line itself.

Any comments on the knot I found in the bridle - in the middle of the inboard leg.

Stuart

Checked the bridle lengths and both sides a equal. The knot must've crept in at some stage.

The lines are all equal too - result :) Just need to get used to using one winder now.

Thanks

Stu

Kite shops sell winders for a song, and there is no shame in using the two winder method if that is what you prefer. As long as you are able to wind and unwind your lines with the least amount of hassle for yourself, all is good. B)

From my limited experience.... all lines should be the same length so it should make no difference where you attach them to on the kite, personal preference is right I would say.

If I want to use 1 winder try putting together the right flying line with the right brake line together with a larks head then the same with the left pair,wind them in and put larks heads at the other end... viola

Yup. All four lines should be the same length. Doesn't matter how you hook them up, whatever you want to use to identify where they go is up to you. I would recommend always using them in the same place so they stretch accordingly.

When using one winder I typically keep my handles attached and wind up from the kite in. Attach the right lines to each other and the left to each other then treat the pairs as a single line. wind in, when you get to the handles wind the elastic band around them so they don't move around. Then when you're ready to setup just put the handles to a stake and unwind.

ok that may seem a bit confusing

short story

all lines are the same.

attach lines together when winding- you'll just wind two pairs opposed to two lines.

Thanks for the tips folks,

Not flown the B series yet, but I tried the LPG lines with my EXP and they seem very good - better than the ones I got with my EXP which tightened up after 3 or 4 revolutions.

Also practiced winding and unwinding on the single winder and had no problems other than getting the dangling handles onto the winder without them spinning round. I'll get the hang of it soon enough because it does save some time.

Cheers

Stu

Hi and welcome to the Darkside.Hope ya have fun , find new freinds and talents you never thought ya had.

On the lines and set up.After a couple of flights.Swop your lines over.What you had as tops.Place on the Bottom.What you had as Bottom.Place on the Top.This will put stretch through your lines and keep them more equal.Especially if you fly in a good wind then swop them.Then fly in a good wind again.Quality line shouldnt stretch much,but will need checking and equalising.

Another point thats a definate check.Remove the leading edge and check the Ferrules are glued well.Then check every few months or so.

One last thing

E N J O Y

BRIAN...