Flying Lesson Wanted, please

Tine

Hi all Festival Rev[v]ers

Is anybody willing and able to teach a couple newbies a bit more of the finer points of flying a rev? For myself, I lack the confidence of flying with others as I panic when flying in close quarters. I do have the basic maneuvers and are able to hover but transitions are a problem. I do feel a bit intimidated of flying with what appear to be natural talents... :confused!: Mr Git named himself rather aptly as he is no teacher :devil:

Kind regards

Tine

Tine,

don't worry about that!

Geeze, we have all occasionally felt like we were the weakest flier in the group, that will never change.

The best way to improve is to mix it up shoulder to shoulder with your peers. You're going to crash around and be unsuccessful, so what! At least the next time it will be easier. The sooner you start the sooner you can put this "bad trip" behind you. Eventually you'll be helping the newbies and overlooking their shortcomings,... it all evens out and every single one us has been the screw-up before we mastered some control and confidence.

I flew with the French Team "Crazy Drivers" up in Dieppe. I didn't speak the language, know their routine or care about my disrupting their practice sessions. I just walked over and fell into place. We laughed and howled, tangled and crashed, sorted everything out and had a great afternoon together. They weren't about to invite me, so I forced myself upon them.

Hey it's all just kites, join in and don't take NO for an answer! I made some new friends and we'll howl together again someplace. We went over our modifications and tuning secrets, it was great to share without language barriers. Okay two of 'em did speak English I could follow, but don't let the facts interfere with a good story I always say!

Go, join in and share when it's your turn to be the instructor, we are the Rev family.

Hi all Festival Rev[v]ers

Ah, so there is at least one Rev flyer hangin' on 'til Monday. ;)

Somehow it wouldn't surprise me if there were a few others and *at least* one of 'teacher grade' - by which I mean patience and communication skills, rather than pure demonstration and flying prowess. [Having said that, I know of a fair few Rev pilots who can handle both skill sets seamlessly!] But they may not wish to broadcast the fact for fear of being over-run with students of varying demands! :)

Ah, so there is at least one Rev flyer hangin' on 'til Monday.

Somehow it wouldn't surprise me if there were a few others and *at least* one of 'teacher grade' - by which I mean patience and communication skills, rather than pure demonstration and flying prowess. [Having said that, I know of a fair few Rev pilots who can handle both skill sets seamlessly!] But they may not wish to broadcast the fact for fear of being over-run with students of varying demands!

Please take note of the following quote from another 'two?' threads:-

"(now where is that thread where Simon refers to just flying alongside friends to learn new stuff... no instruction, just imitation? It works like magic, I can assure you! The trouble is that the old fliers think that they know it all.. 'tee hee' just look out for the newbies.... they will learn very quickly what some of us have taken years and years to achieve.)

Ah yes, here it is...

So just to re-iterate, all you newbies have a very significant advantage and should be 'up-to-speed' in no time at all. Over the last year I have seen some fliers take advantage of observing and emulating at close quarters. No 'instructions' involved!"

Some of the Decs will be around on Monday morning but would never admit to being 'capable' of 'giving instruction'... <grins>

I suggest that a process similar to the cycling 'critical mass' may take place. So if fliers are present, a spontaneous event may develop.

If anyone expects further explanation or precise instructions, I am sorry, but that is not something I can provide as I have absolutely no advance knowledge.

<DISCLAIMER>

YMMV

Looks like they are doing OK at WSIKF...

Felix

Everything revflyer said is spot on. There will be some people at Portsmouth with absolutely excellent teaching skills IMHO. At least 3 people who managed to hammer huge amounts into my numb skull. You'll be fine for tips and 'lessons'.

'Hey it's all just kites, join in and don't take NO for an answer!' may actually be problematic in many situations. Proper discretion may be in order... and may still result in a positive outcome.

<grins>

Felix

Hey!! I'm struggling too! (Esp. with transitions...)

I'm first to admit I'm no good as a teacher, but I do offer lots of praise and encouragement!

Yeah you do encourage me - by buying me a new set of 3 rainbows... :devil:

You knew I'd say it, anyway :blue-love: Tine

Edited by Tine

See GLOBAL REV COUNT thread....

Talking of discretion do you two talk off-line? A full set of kites????

The 'transitions' are the most interesting bit. Sometimes there is only a slight inflexion of input to achieve the required result. Ashley and Jade were comparing notes today about the leading edge side slide circle. <Technical stuff.> Make sure that you talk to them next weekend. <grins>

Felix

The 'transitions' are the most interesting bit. Sometimes there is only a slight inflexion of input to achieve the required result. Ashley and Jade were comparing notes today about the leading edge side slide circle. <Technical stuff.> Make sure that you talk to them next weekend. <grins>

Ok Thanks for that! lol

The Transitions are are only interesting untill they are mastered, the inverted hover is the classic.

A right pain untill it 'clicks' then you don't even think about it.

That side slide transition is just not clicking!!

So if anyone can throw some light would be helpfull.

Ok Thanks for that! lol

The Transitions are are only interesting untill they are mastered, the inverted hover is the classic.

A right pain untill it 'clicks' then you don't even think about it.

That side slide transition is just not clicking!!

So if anyone can throw some light would be helpfull.

Hi Dude,

Funny you mention side slides, I was doing side slide circles up on the downs today (in between picking up popped spars.. Long story)

So if you fancy having a go next week remind me we can spend some time playing.

Hey Tine,

your super low inverted slides looked great today :):clap;

Keep it up ;)

@Simon I find those slide circles so relaxing :blue-sleepy::blue-grin:

Thank you, funny how a new kite can change things ;) I'll try to fit some more practice in before the 'big' weekend

We did have a bit of a disappointment later when we tried to upload the photos. The sd card appears to be corrupted and all the photos are lost as well as some older ones...Mike's not a happy bunny :angry:

So far, the weekend weather looks good

Tine

Talking of discretion do you two talk off-line? A full set of kites????

Felix

Oh yes, we do - mostly arguing about kites :lol: can't find the kitebag - that's because I got the in the van or I'm at Weston Shore.... So Mike got me a set of kites and I got a rev bag of Brian... He only tried to point out the Global Thread count is under his name but it had my kite in it as well. Now, that there are 8 kites seems fair that I have the new ones - at least to me :P

As for flying I appear to be a bit ham fisted - need to train the fine motor sense. My panic was not too bad today when Kev R flew next to me - he did say " just relax, the sun will still come out tomorrow" It's possible I try to hard.

I'm really looking forward to the weekend and meeting everyone

Kind regards Tine

My panic was not too bad today when Kev R flew next to me

Teehee, you didn't even notice you became a Tine sandwich :w00t:

I was surreptitiously flying on your other side to Kev with you in the middle and you kept flying ;):):D

Regarding your SD card - all might not be lost *if* you don't take any further pics.

I have a few of you from yesterday while Mike was taking 'those' prize shots, I'll forward them onto you.

Edited by Choccy

Thank you, funny how a new kite can change things ;) I'll try to fit some more practice in before the 'big' weekend

We did have a bit of a disappointment later when we tried to upload the photos. The sd card appears to be corrupted and all the photos are lost as well as some older ones...Mike's not a happy bunny :angry:

Take your SD card to a good photo lab, they usually have recovery software which should work in restoring your shots. Just don't take any more pics with that card, and start formatting your cards once you get in the habit of archiving your photos onto Cd/Dvd or elsewhere.

Take your SD card to a good photo lab, they usually have recovery software which should work in restoring your shots. Just don't take any more pics with that card, and start formatting your cards once you get in the habit of archiving your photos onto Cd/Dvd or elsewhere.

If you dont want to take it to someone else, you could DIY http://www.pcinspector.de worked for me.

Had a SD card that died and this recovered all the files.

Teehee, you didn't even notice you became a Tine sandwich :w00t:

I was surreptitiously flying on your other side to Kev with you in the middle and you kept flying ;):):D

Regarding your SD card - all might not be lost *if* you don't take any further pics.

I have a few of you from yesterday while Mike was taking 'those' prize shots, I'll forward them onto you.

Oh Choccy that's given me a big smile, and a bit embarrassed but hey ho I'll have to learn somehow :blushing:

Regarding the pictures, thank you so much and Mike is on the case [he reads the forum asap].

He ordered a new card and got hold of my camera...

Only 4 more days

Thank you for your tip - greatly appreciate this. As technophobe I need all the help I can get... Mike aka Mr Git is on the case [he's not git-like at all-most of the time :P ]

Kind regards Tine

If you dont want to take it to someone else, you could DIY http://www.pcinspector.de worked for me.

Had a SD card that died and this recovered all the files.

Thank you Simon - good to know more than one way. However, I leave this one for Mike because I can get into a right fluster :wacko:

Mike is really good with stuff like this as that is his job - no rest for the wicked, as they say.

Kind regards Tine